Cutting Weight...How Young Is Too Young...

84Coach

Figured I would get this topic started with ISWA Kids State this weekend. How young is to young? How much is a reasonable amount to cut?

For example, I have a competitive 9 year old in my club who weighs about 66.5 to 67.5 on a given day. He wants to get to 65 because he beleives he will be more competitive. Personally I dont know if it will really make a difference but to him it may. And mentally we all knowbhow much that can help or hurt a wrestler.

He isnt being forced to do anything but if he has the will power at 9 years old to have a good hard practice and give up food for one day, knowing if he wants to eat he can just to have a chance to make 65? Is it really hurting anything or is it to early to be learning the lesson of sacrifice.

Personally, I think on a small scale (1.5 to 2 lbs) under the right circumstances. Kids choice versus parents starving thier kids, is it all that bad?

Id like to hear some thoughts and opinions on the subject.

I have no problem with kids losing 1-2 lbs. For my kids though they understand that to lose weight in our house is never and I stress never skip meals! Instead they actually eat more times usually 5-6 per day. Then we ramp up the cardio and water intake. So instead of pizza or burgers it is 4 oz. Chicken breast broccoli rice and water.  Breakfast 3 egg whites half a banana. .... and so the diet goes. As a coach and father of 3 boys ranging from 3rd grade to a junior in high school, I like the dedication and discipline that wrestlers show year in and year out. TOUGHEST KIDS PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY. So as parents we need to do a good job of being informed. Don't take the easy way out and let our kid miss 3 meals or go 8 to 9 hours without food and just a little water teach them the right way to do it and it will make them better with nutrition when they get old and fat like the rest of us!

Jason Kemper

My son has wrestled for 9 years now and his freshman season this season was the first time he had cut weight. I never let him (save for one year to lose 2 pounds to wrestle state at the weight that he wrestled all year). I spent my entire wrestling career cutting weight and I didn't want him to do that. I also think it gives kids very bad habits because most don't do it correctly. Just my 2 cents, but is there really a need for it before high school? Why hurt kids growth patterns by not letting them feed the machine and let it grow naturally! 2 pounds in the grander scheme of things is not going to make a difference in the grander scheme of things.

This weekend will be my son's first wrestling tournament. He has been around wrestling his entire life, I would'nt put a lot into having kids cut any weight. My son weighs around 65ish and I am having him wrestle 70. I think that once a kid gets into the habbit of cutting weight at an early age it becomes part of his lifestyle. IMO have him wrestle whatever he weighs and to have fun. I am looking forward to seeing my boy and others wrestle this weekend.

I have no problem with kids losing 1-2 lbs. For my kids though they understand that to lose weight in our house is never and I stressful never skip meals! Instead they actually eat more times usually 5-6 per day. Then we ramp up the cardio and water intake. So instead of pizza or burgers it is 4 oz. Chicken breast broccoli rice and water.  Breakfast 3 egg whites half a banana. .... and so the diet goes. As a coach and father of 3 boys ranging from 3rd grade to a junior in high school, I like the dedication and discipline that wrestlers show year in and year out. TOUGHEST KIDS PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY. So as parents we need to do a good job of being informed. Don't take the easy way out and let our kid miss 3 meals or go 8 to 9 hours without food and just a little water teach them the right way to do it and it will make them better with nutrition when they get old and fat like the rest of us!

Jason Kemper

I totally agree, and I think for most parents, wrestlers, and even coaches they just don't know how to cut weight the right way. Obviously these guys cut out some water weight towards the end of the week.but that doesnt mean sacrifice hydration and nutrition all week.

My son's first ISWA State two years he weighed in at 75.2 lbs, so wrestled 80.  He was crushed that he was "overweight"......for about 20 minutes.  He wrestled fine the next day (2-2).  The 75lb class would have been every bit as tough.  Cutting weight seems not to help that much.

Seems the only kids to perennially lose weight are those obsessed with getting a State title (or triple crown).  There is a kid my kid's age (8th grade) who wrestled 95 lbs at middle school state as a 6th grader AND as an 8th grader.  That seems way over the top to me.

Yeah I definately thing there is a huge difference between cutting weight and re-arranging your normal after school routine for kids tettering on the line between weight classes on the day of weighins once a year @ ISWA Kids State...

Unfortunately you see it every year standing in the long line, young kids that look absolutely miserable...

That some serious growth... :)

My kids average 5 to 10 lb growth every year.

That's what I tell my MS wrestlers that want to cut weight like the HS kids. You guys shouldn't be wrestling the same weight year after year, your supposed to grow!

I have a 10 year old and a 17 year old that wrestle. Every year my older son gets to a point where he is making weight with no problems and we all think he should've cut down a weight class. We thought the same thing this year so I asked a college coach what he thought. His words, "If he feels good, he should wrestle his weight." He placed third in the state this year. At the state finals, he won one match in overtime, he battled the eventual state champ all the way to the final second and almost tied it at the end, and he won his third place match with a takedown as time expired. I won't be convinced that being properly hydrated with energy in his body didn't play a large role in his ability to wrestle late in those matches.

There is no point in depriving your body to the point where you have zero energy to wrestle with. Even if it means you are out muscled every now and then. You will have the edge in the third period if you are well hydrated and have plenty of stored energy. Especially at a tournament like folkstyle state where you could wrestle 5-7 matches.

Same goes for kids especially. What's the chances they still WANT to wrestle in high school if they have spent the last 4-5 years or more being miserable? Not to mention the fact that kids' bodies are trying to grow. To deprive the body what it wants and needs affects muscle growth and maturity.

Last year at Folkstyle State weigh ins, I stood next an Intermediate wrestler that looked pale, pasty, and miserable. He was spitting into a bottle the whole time we were in line. Guess what, he didn't make weight and had to wrestle up anyway! I wanted to punch his dad in the face! I've heard parents say things like, "This is what he wants." My answer... Since when does a 9 year old know what is best for him????

Losing 2 pounds in a hard practice is fine. Maintaining a healthy diet and eating often is great! Depriving a growing body of what it needs is unacceptable.

I have a 10 year old and a 17 year old that wrestle. Every year my older son gets to a point where he is making weight with no problems and we all think he should've cut down a weight class. We thought the same thing this year so I asked a college coach what he thought. His words, "If he feels good, he should wrestle his weight." He placed third in the state this year. At the state finals, he won one match in overtime, he battled the eventual state champ all the way to the final second and almost tied it at the end, and he won his third place match with a takedown as time expired. I won't be convinced that being properly hydrated with energy in his body didn't play a large role in his ability to wrestle late in those matches.

There is no point in depriving your body to the point where you have zero energy to wrestle with. Even if it means you are out muscled every now and then. You will have the edge in the third period if you are well hydrated and have plenty of stored energy. Especially at a tournament like folkstyle state where you could wrestle 5-7 matches.

Same goes for kids especially. What's the chances they still WANT to wrestle in high school if they have spent the last 4-5 years or more being miserable? Not to mention the fact that kids' bodies are trying to grow. To deprive the body what it wants and needs affects muscle growth and maturity.

Last year at Folkstyle State weigh ins, I stood next an Intermediate wrestler that looked pale, pasty, and miserable. He was spitting into a bottle the whole time we were in line. Guess what, he didn't make weight and had to wrestle up anyway! I wanted to punch his dad in the face! I've heard parents say things like, "This is what he wants." My answer... Since when does a 9 year old know what is best for him????

Losing 2 pounds in a hard practice is fine. Maintaining a healthy diet and eating often is great! Depriving a growing body of what it needs is unacceptable.

Well said!

I think there is a difference between losing weight(weight that will come off from practice) and cutting 

Agreed!

I would advise parents and coaches to not let kids step on a scale during the week.  This takes the emphasis on what you weigh and more on working hard.  I would guess that if you put most younger kids in a wrestling room for a week and change nothing else they will lose 1-2 lbs.  If you cut out fast food and sugary drinks then probably closer to 2-4 lbs.  Thats not cutting thats just being healthy. 

I also think we should get away from elementry school duals.  This creates a need to cut weight to make a lineup.  Keep it to individual tournaments and whatever you weigh at weighins is what you weigh. 

I also think we should get away from elementry school duals.  This creates a need to cut weight to make a lineup.  Keep it to individual tournaments and whatever you weigh at weighins is what you weigh.

I've ran an elementary school dual team for 3 years. I've never had kids cut weight, nor do they on their own as far as I know. I don't think a lot of teams cut weight, my 4 year old, 40lb son wrestled a kid that was 3 feet taller than him and had facial hair last fall in a dual.

Speaking from my personal experience of cutting weight, I think cutting 1-2 pounds for a tournament isn't bad for the younger kids. What is bad is making them cut weight like high school or college wrestlers. No way should a young kid be cutting 10+ pounds for a tournament. Just let them wrestle their natural weight. 4 years of cutting weight in high school was bad enough for me, I feel like if they start cutting serious weight too early they might not want to continue wrestling.

Is this the typical growth rate of Madison? Must be that huge BBQ competition in August...Go Fowl Butt BBQ!!!

Not sure how it effects kids, but I know that Madison Wrestling runs the beer tents at Ribberfest and the coaching staff typically puts on a solid 10-15lbs in water weight after that weekend. That's not even counting the endless racks of ribs, brisket, and bbq pork chop sandwiches consumed.

I did meet Fowl Butt last year, great group of bbq'ers!

Not sure how it effects kids, but I know that Madison Wrestling runs the beer tents at Ribberfest and the coaching staff typically puts on a solid 10-15lbs in water weight after that weekend. That's not even counting the endless racks of ribs, brisket, and bbq pork chop sandwiches consumed.

I did meet Fowl Butt last year, great group of bbq'ers!

Some of us lose the weight before the end of the night though........some due to their inexperience can't hang with tskin or tripleb and their systems will do a force purge.

Some of us lose the weight before the end of the night though........some due to their inexperience can't hang with tskin or tripleb and their systems will do a force purge.

All systems body purge!

Seen that a few times..hahah

Some good stuff in this post. A couple other points to add-

#1 I've met parents that think 5 pounds isn't that big of a deal for a 50 pounder... That's equivalent to cutting 20 pounds for a 200 pounder, and that doesn't even take into consideration the different effects because of the age of the wrestler.

#2 It's good to try factor in growth when deciding what weight to wrestle at the beginning of the year. In high school they build in a 2 pound growth allowance, so parents of youth wrestlers should consider this too.  Many times when kids end up cutting weight (and the only reason that I ended up cutting weight sometimes as a youth) it's because they begin the year weighing 94lbs so they wrestle 95. Over the course of the season, they may gain 3-4 pounds or more, and they want to continue to wrestle the same weight. I would say they if they are not ok with changing weights during the year, they should just begin the season the weight class up because over the course of a 3+ month season they will almost definitely be gaining weight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.