Parallels of the Indiana High School and NCAA Division I Wrestling Scenes

In the past four years, I've noticed a number of parallels between the Indiana high school wrestling scene, and the NCAA Division I wrestling scene. The first thing that comes to mind are the teams of Perry Meridian and Penn State. The basics? Both teams sport a blue color, have great coaches, and are loaded with talent. The parallels of these two haven't been directly on the same line, but they balance out. In 2011, 2012, and 2013, both won their team championships. Their talented rosters included the likes of Jared McKinley for PM, and Frank Molinaro for PS. The two both won championships and acted as leaders for each of their squads. The most common I hear people compare are Cody LeCount and David Taylor. Each are extremely dominant, quick, and like to score points. Another you hear in the mix or maybe notice, is Jake Masengale and Quentin Wright. Both acted as captains of their squads in their senior years, and helped lead their teams to championships. The storylines in each universe sort of go off track, though. Take for instance, the epic "Dake vs. Taylor" series. Dake and Taylor know each other from their younger lives, are familiar with each other's styles, and both NCAA champions. Watching those two battles (three if you count the All-Star Duals) during that season, were epic and immediately at the conclusion of both seasons, I said, "That will be LeCount and Forte next year." The storyline between the two parallels but differs at the same time. LeCount takes on the senior role of Kyle Dake, even though before he was compared to Taylor of the elite squad. Forte takes on the junior role of Taylor apart of the very competitive and daring squad Mishawaka. Mishawaka parallels to Cornell in ways of their colors, their abilities to make a strong individual squad and garner a strong finish in the championships. At the Bellmont Super Duals, LeCount pinned Forte (With the score being 5-4 before the fall). In the Southern Scuffle, Dake beat Taylor 3-2. In the recent IHSAA finals, LeCount edged Forte 3-2, while in the NCAA finals last year, Dake edged Taylor 5-4. Do you see the parallelism between the two, yet the switch ups? The team picture shows Penn looking a lot like the always tough Iowa squad. From the uniforms to the primarily young, yet tough lineup down the row. Both teams have lost a single dual this season. Penn is always knocking on the door of the championship and to win big duals. Franklin Community is subject to the parallel of J. Robinson's Minnesota squad. Both teams are hardened up to win big duals. The Hasseman's Franklin squad was undefeated in duals this season and knocked off the former #1 Perry Meridian by a single point. Minnesota knocked off Penn State by a single point this season as well. Penn later beat Perry Meridian again that day (in a match that seemed to have no emotion). The previous year, Iowa beat Penn State in a dual meet. Penn State in the past two seasons has two losses while PM took two losses this season. Both teams seemed to have their doors knocked on and opened up. The Fighting Irish of Cathedral sort of remind me of John Smith's Oklahoma State squad. Last year, OK ST was close to getting a team title but came up short from Penn State's strong performance in the finals. This year the Irish won the team title. Next year, Penn State could lose their team title, and Perry can come back with a strong, talented squad next season and win their 4th title. Who knows? The years are off, yet they're balanced.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.