Best wrestlers to never win state?

I've seen this thread once or twice last year, and it's pretty fun to talk about. Off the top of my head in the past few years, some of the best wrestlers to never win state would probably be Roncalli graduate, Josh Kieffer, Cathedral graduate, Tyler Willis, Cathedral senior, Vinny Corsaro, Perry Meridian graduates Kirk Johnson, and Jake Masengale, and Castle's Luke Welch.

I think that as long as this topic comes up I will have the same response.    Jeff Pease from Muncie Southside is without a doubt the best wrestler to not win state.  1989 - he was dq'd on a weak slam call at semi-state and then suffered a pretty severe ankle inury in 1990 and made it state , but wrestled only a portion of the season and was not 100%.  In the summer between we was a double champ at Junior Nationals and absolutely hammered his competition at that level. 

I will always have the same answer as others on here.  Current Northwood head coach and Rochester Graduate  DAMON HUMMEL:  SQ(195), 2nd(HWT), 2nd(HWT), 3rd(HWT).  Career record 141-6.  All 3 years at HWT he weighed about 215 lbs.  In 1995, the year after he graduated, they came out with the 215 lbs weight class. 

How about a kid that never made it to state.  Brandon Preston of Logansport never made it to state, but wrestles for Trine University.  Last year he won the division 3 regional, and this year moved up a weight and qualified again with a 3rd place finish over Layton Binion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.