Are we disrespecting our HWT's

HWT DAD

First of I would like to think you all for reading and letting everyone know your true colors.

It looks to me that some people took this post off in the there direction and it is fine.

But those that can set and watch a 145 match end 2 to1 and say at was the greatest match I have seen in a lone time

are the same people at are Disrespecting HWT's  my saying things like how boring there matches are. I have been in this sport for over 30 years and worked with many of the best wrestlers in northern part of the state. Most all of them love cheering on the big guys. Just would like for some small thing to change no big reformatting of the meets, just give the HWT's the same respect as everyone else.  Let them catch their breath after a match,  give them some time to shower, and hold up the bus for just a few more minutes. Oh ya if think wrestling HWT's is easy I would love to see you 6 minutes with one, bit you would find some respect then.

I took my fiance to the state finals this year.. This was her first time ever attending... During the 220 lb match she noticed that a lot of people had left... Then she noticed even more people were gone by the end of the HW match...

It is possible to  mix up the starting and ending weight class.  This could be something that could add more excitment to the finals.

and Triple B... It must have been hard giving up your big guy card..

I took my fiance to the state finals this year.. This was her first time ever attending... During the 220 lb match she noticed that a lot of people had left... Then she noticed even more people were gone by the end of the HW match...

It is possible to  mix up the starting and ending weight class.  This could be something that could add more excitment to the finals.

and Triple B... It must have been hard giving up your big guy card..

:'( :'( :'( :'(

I have so much respect for all of the big guys! But let's be honest, what person, after sitting in Banker's Life for hours on end, is going to want to stick around till 1030-11 p.m. to watch a match the typically is low scoring, low action, and is hardly exciting? Maybe start the finals an hour earlier, because I know for a fact that no one wants to stick around that late unless they have a HWT to root for.

I don't believe there is an outright disrespect for heavyweights like unsportsmanlike or flagrant misconduct, but the treatment really stems from the lack of the experience of being a heavyweight wrestler.  Most wrestling fans are former wrestlers, however a very small "select" few have had the honor of wrestling heavyweight.  Therefore, most fans don't have the knowledge to know that some of the things those young men are doing on the mat - when to the untrained eye they look like dancing bears - is actually a great battle going on, the likes of which most of the viewers couldn't handle for one second. 

Heavyweight wrestling takes a sophisticated appreciation to enjoy, much like that of a fine wine or cigar.  Most people can't tell the difference between Boone's Farm and a good Cabernet Sauvignon either.  I'd call them naive before I'd call them disrespectful and I somewhat feel sorry for them since they are missing some really great matches.

I will agree, however, that walking out of the state finals tournament in the middle of their match is considered disrespectful in my book, just the same as walking out of a play in the final scene would be.  But most wrestling fans I know don't go to plays either.  ;D

Some of the other borderline disrespectful things are:

- Officials call them for stalling far too frequently.  I just saw last weekend an official who hit both middle school kids for stalling :30 into the 1st period and both again to make it 1-1 at the end of the 1st period.  To the trained eye, the kids were not stalling but working for an inside tie, pummeling, posting and the like.

- Coaches think heavyweights should be able to run as fast and as far as the kids who weigh half what the heavyweights do - a lack of a basic understanding of transfer of energy principals is in play here.  I've seen, not just in wrestling, coaches expecting the big guys to be as fast, do as many push-ups, etc.  It's a common saying in my room that the big guys have to work the hardest - and they do.  If you don't believe me, have your 126 lber. put on a 150 lb. weight suit and have him run a few laps then call me to let me know when his funeral is.

- With the elimination of the unlimited weight-class, the big boys are the only ones discriminated against due to their size.  The heavyweights are the only ones that have a weight-class with an "absolute weight limit".  I'm not talking about the 285 class... I'm talking about any kid over 285 is not allowed to wrestle, period.  However, on the flip side of the coin, if you only weigh 50 lbs. you can still wrestle (106).  That's discrimination plain and simple.

- They have the largest (by far) weight difference between them and the next lower weight (65 lbs.) - that's more than half the weight of a 126 lber.  That's comparable to Vinny Corsaro (160) wrestling Galen Robinson (220).

- They also have the largest weight difference by percentage.  220 to 285... that's over a 22% difference and is comparable to Chad Red (120 lb.) wrestling Cody LeCount (145 lb.).

Keep some of these things in mind the next time you see a couple big fellas grace the mat.  In the meantime, please continue to leave the state championship early so I can get front row seats to the best match of the night.  8)

Thank you all for your replies. Some were very good. Some were as disrespectful as the person you wrote them.

Old Goat my HWT son said yours was the best. Thank you all for the good and bad. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.