Are we disrespecting our HWT's

HWT DAD

Just would like to let all the wrestling fans know how it feels to be a HWT in high school.

They work just as hard as all the others. But in the final match of the day most fans get up and walk out on them.

You have been there for the last 6 hours, I get that, but what is another 6 more minutes.

This happens at most tournaments, try filming your son with people walking out of the gym right in front of you.

Then lets look at this fact. HWT finishes his match then he is being called to the awards stand, then being told to get on the bus. Now he is on the bus with no shower hot and sweaty in the cold air waiting to get sick. Skin funk is a big deal in this sport that is why for 12 years he has been trained to shower after coming for the mat.

I know this silly little post will not change anything but if it helps one HWT or one fan to see the truth then it was worth the time to wright it. Just asking for the same respect that is giving to all the other kids in this sport.

I have a confession and I'm not proud......I left this year at state after the 195lb awards.....I should have to give up my HWT man card.

Mrs TripleB and the anklebiters weren't having it.... I tried to watch on monitors as I was leaving but it was of no use...

I apologize to my fellow big brother Wes Bernard. I was really excited to see the match and the carpet was pulled right out from under me...

Just would like to let all the wrestling fans know how it feels to be a HWT in high school.

They work just as hard as all the others. But in the final match of the day most fans get up and walk out on them.

You have been there for the last 6 hours, I get that, but what is another 6 more minutes.

This happens at most tournaments, try filming your son with people walking out of the gym right in front of you.

Then lets look at this fact. HWT finishes his match then he is being called to the awards stand, then being told to get on the bus. Now he is on the bus with no shower hot and sweaty in the cold air waiting to get sick. Skin funk is a big deal in this sport that is why for 12 years he has been trained to shower after coming for the mat.

I know this silly little post will not change anything but if it helps one HWT or one fan to see the truth then it was worth the time to wright it. Just asking for the same respect that is giving to all the other kids in this sport.

It's easy to feel like you are getting the short end of the stick when your last.  Assuming they still draw for starting weight at duals in IN?  Saw something new last week at Divisions here though.  It's a 16 man bracket, 2 day tnmt. (necessary as they have full wrestle backs w/ the 5 match limit).  So on day 2 they wrestled all of the consolation matches on 4 mats.  Then for the finals they used 2 mats, starting at the top on 1, the bottom on the other. 

So 1st matches were 106 on Mat 1, HVYs on Mat2, 112s on Mat 1, 220's on Mat2 and so on.  There was some grumbling about the championships should have everyone's full attention but as it played out there was seldom "action" on both mats.  A few occasions where wrestlers from the same school were on both mats, but by in large it kept the energy of the gym "up" most of the time.  When there was blood time or coaches talking at the table people weren't sitting on their hands trying to stay awake.  Wouldn't want to see it in a State Finals, but think it's a good idea for most other tnmts.

Why don't we draw the starting weight of the tournament at the start of each tournament? We do it for duals.  The brackets are already set, I don't see any issue in it.  You just draw the weight class out before you start, and you roll from there.

I have felt that this is unfair to 285s for quite some time. 

This probably wouldn't be possible during regular season tourneys due to the 45 minute rest between matches, but for the state finals there is plenty of time to random draw the finals. Another option would be to set the finals in an order where the most anticipated match would be at the end. I agree, the big guys have be getting the short end forever.

This probably wouldn't be possible during regular season tourneys due to the 45 minute rest between matches, but for the state finals there is plenty of time to random draw the finals. Another option would be to set the finals in an order where the most anticipated match would be at the end. I agree, the big guys have be getting the short end forever.

But why not random draw from the very beginning? Why do we have to random draw just for the finals?  Start a tournament at 182 and progress through entire tournament that way

I would like to see them switch it up a little bit and start at different weight classes or come up with a line up of weights.  I also feel like the person that wins the Mental Attitude Award gets shafted -  I wish they would give that award right before the finals. 

I would like to see them switch it up a little bit and start at different weight classes or come up with a line up of weights.  I also feel like the person that wins the Mental Attitude Award gets shafted -  I wish they would give that award right before the finals.

I couldn't agree more! This is a big deal and should be honored when everyone is there.

it is very disrespectful. i agree but alot of heavy weight matches last way longer than 6 minutes. but completely agree

I would like to see a straight hand picked order for the finals.  Not following the normal order but to say start with 120 then 195 then heavy then 170  all leading to match most anticipated.

I agree, I have so many videos of people walking in front of the camera at key points of a match.

As to poster that goes by "over time".

To me, most of the light weight matches are boring, but I do respect them and the work that they put in. I also never go on here and tell someone that their kids matches are boring like you did.

We are lucky that our team waits for the HWT to shower after a meet before leaving.

I confess leaving the semis at state. To get in line for good final round seats.

Only once have I ever waited in line to get "good seats" for the finals. (Bruce v Warren hose job)  Not worth the two and a half hour wait.  banker's life field house is set up very nicely.  If you have normal eye sight you can watch the 106 lbers from the very top row just fine.  Besides that I'd rather set at Scotty's brew house drinking adult beverages by the pitcher

We have been saying this for years!!! I have stayed every year till after the Mental Attitude Award is given. I wish they would do it before the finals start. The recipient deserves to be recognized in front of the 10,000 fans, not just the couple hundred that stay.

Folks do not stick around for the heavyweight matches because, by and large (pun intended), they are BORING!  Before you point to a Wesley Bernard, Andy Schneider, etcetera, I will concede that they were/are exciting athletes that graced they heavyweight class with their presence.  They are also the outliers.

The vast majority of heavyweight matches involve two super-tankers, standing straight up, pushing on each other for six minutes.  Really?  That is wrestling? 

Butts in the seats is the ultimate vote.  Fans leave because the product on the mat is uninteresting.

We have been saying this for years!!! I have stayed every year till after the Mental Attitude Award is given. I wish they would do it before the finals start. The recipient deserves to be recognized in front of the 10,000 fans, not just the couple hundred that stay.

Agreed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.