Showing Class

Wrestling119

Like everyone else, I am always glad to see wrestlers whom are good sports whether they win or lose. There are a couple recent examples in other threads. While I am glad that we do have wrestlers like this, should we really be praising them every time they are a good sport? In my opinion it is how every wrestler should act. I know that it does not always work out that way, but it seems like we are surprised every time a wrestler does something they should already be doing. Are kids such bad sports these days that it is abnormal, or do people just feel the need to praise everyone for everything? I think the second is more likely.

You may be correct but I would much rather read stories about good kids than 1/2 of the posts/threads on this board. IE class wrestling. Good sportsmanship seems to lead to more good sportsmanship.

I agree that I would rather read posts about sportsmanship than threads with people being childish, or even things like "Red vs. Lee who will win". I am also very glad that we do have great kids who show sportsmanship and it is nice for them to get praise for behaving and representing themselves and their schools in a good manor. It just seems like it we were getting a little out of hand by praising everyone who basically didn't throw a fit after losing or over-celebrate after winning.

It is up to us, as coaches to make sure these young men act as just that, young men.  I see the way some of the parents act and it is no coincidence that their children act the same way.  I am only speaking of the ones that display poor sportsmaniship, I realize there are many great parents out there that are teaching their children humility and respect in victory and defeat.  We can't control what they are taught at home, but we can control how they act when they are representing us as a school and a wrestling program.  So many coachces are after the almighty win and respect and sportsmaniship falls to the wayside.  In my opinion, you are doing a young man an injustice if you allow him to throw a fit just because he is a good wrestler and it will hurt your team if you suspend / discipline him.  We, as coaches have an obligation to these young men to teach them life lessons like respect, sportsmanship, humility, and commitment no matter how good or bad of a wrestler they are.  If you are not teaching this as a coach, I don't care what your record is, you are not doing your job!

It is up to us, as coaches to make sure these young men act as just that, young men.  I see the way some of the parents act and it is no coincidence that their children act the same way.  I am only speaking of the ones that display poor sportsmaniship, I realize there are many great parents out there that are teaching their children humility and respect in victory and defeat.  We can't control what they are taught at home, but we can control how they act when they are representing us as a school and a wrestling program.  So many coachces are after the almighty win and respect and sportsmaniship falls to the wayside.  In my opinion, you are doing a young man an injustice if you allow him to throw a fit just because he is a good wrestler and it will hurt your team if you suspend / discipline him.  We, as coaches have an obligation to these young men to teach them life lessons like respect, sportsmanship, humility, and commitment no matter how good or bad of a wrestler they are.  If you are not teaching this as a coach, I don't care what your record is, you are not doing your job!

+10000000000000

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.