Scholastic duals

Titanium14

There are no by-laws.... I don't anything about the tournament.......an early April Fools Joke........

I just love seeing some you guys get worked up.... Here's how I picture Vito when he's mad on here

office-space-employees-smashing-printer.jpg

I never anticipated this kind of up roar apologies to Joe and the IHSWCA.

Oh that is great!!! LOL!!! You are pretty close to my reaction. Most of the time, I just get up and walk away from the computer before I say something I may regret.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$250 for Team Tom Miller

$100 for Team Y2

Only difference is team Miller includes some food.

If you were a parent which would you choose?

Joe & Chad, I apologize for my comments about the price.

$100 is an amazing price.  Kudos to you for doing that for the kids.  $250 is more than that, but a whole lot less than most team events I've been involved with organizing.

Apparently the bylaws can be adjusted to suit individual needs. Last year the blue team didn't invite a 4th placer and put a 5th placer in the slot. The 5th placer didn't make weight so he was replaced by a ssq and moved up a weight class.

Good luck telling parents what team their kids can or cannot wrestle for. Might as well start with me as a test case. My kid is a junior and his invite was for the IN-IL all star dual. Nothing for scholastic duals.

Unless they changed something recently I thought the IN-IL duals was only for top placing seniors.  I know 106 was almost all underclassmen.

Unless they changed something recently I thought the IN-IL duals was only for top placing seniors.  I know 106 was almost all underclassmen.

There is the IN-IL Duals which is comprised of top placing seniors. Then there are the NWCA Scholastic Duals that are for underclassmen, in which no seniors are allowed.

My point exactly oberlin.

It appears that during the excitement of the finals and award presentations, a mistake was made.  Either he was handed the wrong packet or they thought he was a senior instead of a junior.  Just contact someone from the IHSWCA (probably somewhere in the packet he has) to get the problem fixed.

I would choose to wrestle for Fabio's team...

I bet every wrestler will have a cool nickname and their own entrance music.. a few wrestlers may even have their own manager or stable...  Better talkers could even cut some promos before the event... That would be awesome..

It sounds like a supposed leader in our sport...... is telling kids that IndianaMat isn't allowed in the tournament.

However I got a call from the tournament director telling me otherwise.

What a crock of you know what!

It's funny cause it's in code  ;D

I believe more Indiana teams have been allowed in because of the severe drop in participation from other states....this is for a variety of reasons. The NWCA needs a large amount of dual teams to rationalize continuing with it....thus the increase of teams from the host state (this does weaken the vision of the event as a whole however).

The publicity for the scholastic duals is extremely lacking.....it could be much more than what it is currently....but that is another conversation.

I know of a few very good wrestlers that are so fed up with the IHSWCA, that if they cannot compete on the Gorillas because they are "supposed" to wrestle on Gold or Blue, they are simply not competing at all.. Isn't it about the kids to start with? Should it matter what teams our ringers wrestle for? As long as they represent Indiana in some way, there shouldn't be an issue..

I know of a few very good wrestlers that are so fed up with the IHSWCA, that if they cannot compete on the Gorillas because they are "supposed" to wrestle on Gold or Blue, they are simply not competing at all.. Isn't it about the kids to start with? Should it matter what teams our ringers wrestle for? As long as they represent Indiana in some way, there shouldn't be an issue..

I completely understand a wrestler and their family wanting to make a point and not wrestle if they are not allowed to be on the team of their choice.  I get the frustration about someone trying to control something that should ultimately be up to the wrestlers to choose.  However, I can also see the other side of the argument for trying to put all of the best wrestlers on one team to represent the state.  My son competed  in "national" dual tournaments all through elementary and middle school.  There are many times that we showed up to compete where there were several Indiana teams.  Most of the teams did well but none usually won the tournament because the wrestlers were so spread out among the different teams.  We definitely had enough "studs' there from Indiana to dominate but when they were all on different teams they were competing against each other, not together. 

It is great that so many people want to compete on these teams and it is awesome that people like Joe are stepping up to offer the opportunity to more of them.  I personally do not care if the best team that is put together is the Gold team or the Indianamat team but one of them should be the best to represent the state as a whole.  I would really like my son to be on whichever one of those teams turns out to be the top one but this confusion between the two groups has made it really difficult for the wrestlers to know what team that might be.  Some are afraid to commit to the Indianamat team in case they end up not being able to compete and now some are suggesting that kids boycott all together because of that.  In the end, the state is still missing out on putting together the best possible team as a whole and the wrestlers that are going are being shortchanged because of the ones that are missing from their team.  It would be really great if everyone could just get on the same page and do what is best for everyone involved. 

I completely understand a wrestler and their family wanting to make a point and not wrestle if they are not allowed to be on the team of their choice.  I get the frustration about someone trying to control something that should ultimately be up to the wrestlers to choose.  However, I can also see the other side of the argument for trying to put all of the best wrestlers on one team to represent the state.  My son competed  in "national" dual tournaments all through elementary and middle school.  There are many times that we showed up to compete where there were several Indiana teams.  Most of the teams did well but none usually won the tournament because the wrestlers were so spread out among the different teams.  We definitely had enough "studs' there from Indiana to dominate but when they were all on different teams they were competing against each other, not together. 

It is great that so many people want to compete on these teams and it is awesome that people like Joe are stepping up to offer the opportunity to more of them.  I personally do not care if the best team that is put together is the Gold team or the Indianamat team but one of them should be the best to represent the state as a whole.  I would really like my son to be on whichever one of those teams turns out to be the top one but this confusion between the two groups has made it really difficult for the wrestlers to know what team that might be.  Some are afraid to commit to the Indianamat team in case they end up not being able to compete and now some are suggesting that kids boycott all together because of that.  In the end, the state is still missing out on putting together the best possible team as a whole and the wrestlers that are going are being shortchanged because of the ones that are missing from their team.  It would be really great if everyone could just get on the same page and do what is best for everyone involved. 

I'm sorry, but everyone being on the same page will never happen. It would be great though.. What a dream!  ;)

I know its a time crunch but it seems like they could have a specific entry day for state sponsored or state coaches association teams (1 or 2 per state), then after that date accept any additional teams that may want to enter on a first come first serve basis.  That will allows for all state teams to ensure they can get in the event, before any additional teams are added in.  I do agree this event has somewhat went to the wayside in recent years and some of it may have to do with out of state teams losing interest in attending the event.  The question is what can be done to help push this event as a major national duals like others we see during the Freestyle/Greco season. 

MEGA WAHOO FOR YOU!!  8)

Ohio

Illinois

Pennsylvania

Michigan

New Jersey

Colorado

Kentucky

Virginia

Colorado

Georgia

Delaware

Texas

Florida

Illinois always brings a really tough team. Colorado always has some state champs, but they are usually in the 4-6 range in placing. Kentucky will bring a good team also. Pennsylvania has some hammers, but also some holes. Ohio's teams are not very good. Michigan's team is basically a local area roundup of kids. New Jersey's teams have a couple hammers then are weak from there

I have some thoughts on this situation...

First, this is a great event and could be a phenomenal, elite event if 'the word' got out a little more forcefully. Even considering the relative lack of publicity, there are some phenomenal wrestlers that have come through this tournament in recent years. Each participant is guaranteed a ton of high quality matches with generally high quality coaching as well. If more 'power' states sent some more of their best kids and fielded complete, stud-filled teams, this could be one of the very best events of the offseason. With Indiana's travel restrictions, this is one of the few opportunities for our best kids to face some of the best in the country. I have seen first-hand how much participation in this event has boosted the confidence and performance of Indiana's lesser-known wrestlers. Coach Cook does a great job running this challenging event and it's close to being one of the real highlights of national offseason wrestling.

Although I don't have a perfect solution for the controversy with the indianamat team, I can say, without bias or hesitation, that the Indiana community needs to quit fighting with Joe Caprino. At some point, personal issues and pride need to take a backseat to the state's well-being as a whole. Whether or not some folks in the Indiana establishment like it, they need to accept that Joe is criticial to our state's improvement and national profile. Joe has created and developed one of the premier wrestling websites in the entire country. That is not a compliment, that is a fact. If you don't believe it, look around at the other states' sites in the USA. The site is viewed by national publications and entities. He also has created and developed an elite Midwest tournament, which is growing in size and stature each season. Obviously, he is very passionate about his various enterprises, but, to me, his personality is irrelevant. He is one of the strongest friends and supporters of this state's wrestlers....period. The IHSWCA needs to work with him and not cast him aside. I'm not saying they need to give in to his every whim, but they should definitely look at him as an ally and not an opponent. There are smart, passionate people involved....so let's put our heads together and look in the same direction and stop all the in-fighting. It absolutely hurts the state as a whole when there is conflict between the state's coaches and its biggest media supporter (by far), which not coincidentally is run by a fellow coach. C'mon, guys, let's stop all the feudin' and fussin'. We all love this sport and our state.

This tournament is right here in Indiana... Why not have 10-12-16 TOUGH Indiana teams to show other states that we taking wrestling serious... Now there does need to be some kind of balance to put good tough kids on these teams. Maybe that's saying they have to be a semi-state qualifier to be able to be on a team that keeps a kid from getting on a team and getting hammered by a stud. Why not give as many Indiana kids the chance to get better & wrestler other kids from out of state? How many Indiana kids get to go out of state & wrestle? These kids are coming to our backyard & we telling our kids only 4 kids at each weight can play that's not right. Besides the teams have to pay a good chunk of $ to get in & your turning teams away.........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.