another Indiana high school elite wrestler flees the state

My top pick after Olympics would be Jordan Burroughs . Great draw for any school and he

Would draw a lot of talent . Also like Mark Perry and a few of  Minnesotas asst..

I can't take credit for this IU suggestion, but I do see some upside in exploring this option in the future.

Look into Reece Humphrey as a possible head coach. The new weight international weight change may eliminate him as a viable candidate in the next  year or two for the World/Olympic team. Their is some intrigue in the position based on his father once coaching IU.  You are not taking a current coach away from another Big 10 school, so their is no loyalty issue there.  You can likely get his dad and brother to be part of the coaching staff, and possibly do so at a cheap price which helps get more for your buck.  He could likely also pull in one or two of his Ohio RTC and World Team buddies to be on the coaching staff (Bergman for the upper weight and/or Angel at the lower weights), depending on their competition status over the next few years. Then still have his dad and brother around in some type of administrative role.  His name, the rest of the coaching staff, and their total connections would help attract some top guys from Indiana and Ohio to the college. Not to mention the extra pull they could have from their additional focus on developing wrestling for the international styles too.  As well, the total group would attract more high school and middle school kids to dual meets and summer camps.  Not saying I'm sold on it completely, it looks like something I'd be willing to explore as an option if the job is available in the next few years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great thoughts, now we need the administration to pull the trigger.  I do believe your lead assistants can not still be training for competition.  One cannot be dedicated to the wrestlers and team if he is still pursuing his interest.  Great to have them in the room banging heads and teaching but they can not be fully committed to both

So does IU lack of showing force them to finally make a change

Still would depend on the administrations feeling on what they want out of the wrestling program or any secondary sports in general.  Walsh and LeBlanc not being able to AAing is disappointing.  Chalfaunt making the national finals would have gave some glimmer of success but, his fall to 6th took that away leaving the Hoosiers tied for 25th place.  If the AD is wanting to see the program moving in an more upward direction in terms of dual results and NCAA tournament finish then he's likely has some things to discuss with Goldman.  ff the AD more worried about most of the secondary sports having academic success and staying out of legal issue then the final year results may not be as big of a issue especially if Goldman's contract is not up (not sure on that issue).  However, if a few of this years starters indeed were pulled from the lineup due to academic issues, the AD most certainly will have some things to address with the staff on the not competition side of things.

I agree with having two starters removed for grades (supposedly) it could change Admin.stance on the whole seen. I am sure some things got pushed to the limit and could be on the admin radar already.  That's not the biggest issue, besides wrestling below their seeds how do you not have a full time HWY coach for your wrestler who had the best chance at NCAA.  IU should of had someone in the room banging with him for three years

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take

Mark Perry

Donny Pritzlaff

Terry Brands

Lou Rosselli

Brandon Eggum

Bryan Snyder

Eric Guerrero

Damian Hahn

I am sure any one of these guys would like to have a head coaching gig in the B1G

I REALLY doubt IU is at the top of anyone's dream job . 1-31 in the B1G the last 4 years (with little change in sight ) is hardly a magnet for top names .

I say give the job to DeGain and Powless and bring Young back from Army -find a lightweight coach and let these guys outwork everyone else.

Re: Next years darkhorse

How did IU let him get away

by Threadkilla » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:15 am

Quinton Murphy of Clarion is going to be in the hunt next year. 48-7 as a redshirt this year wrestling up a weight.

Threadkilla

Gold Member

I REALLY doubt IU is at the top of anyone's dream job . 1-31 in the B1G the last 4 years (with little change in sight ) is hardly a magnet for top names .

I say give the job to DeGain and Powless and bring Young back from Army -find a lightweight coach and let these guys outwork everyone else.

No offense, but no.

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, I want to say howdy as this is my first post to the site.  I found this thread to be interesting since we have battled this very issue for years now in my home state of California.  Seems as though all of our best kids flee the state. 

But after going thru the process with my son (he signed with IU this year) it really comes down to one thing: Commonality.  My son grew up with Cal State Bakersfield, Stanford, Cal Poly etc. right in his backyard.  He appreciated them, but wanted to try what he felt were bigger things.  New things.  I believe that most kids feel the same.  Unless their Dad or Uncle, Brothers, Grandpas, graduated from those local schools, there really isn't to much loyalty that goes into the decision.  Ultimately my son was able to make the decision based upon league affiliation and coaches.  He is super happy with his decision and cant wait to get on the mat and start working on becoming an AA. 

I look forward to being a part of the forum going forward.. GO HOOSIERS!

Wow, it start with the coaches I wish you would have done your research.  Tell me how the current staff has help wrestlers develop and place above their seed.

Just as Zach Zimmer about the staff.  This has nothing to do with IU keeping or recruiting local kids , but just retaining all kids they recruit. 

How about I one up you and ask his current coaches about Zimmer?  That situation is known about as well as can be on this end.  Out of respect for the kid, I will keep that to myself.  I will stay positive and just ask another California kid on the team about the coaches... Seems to have worked out just fine thanks...

Seems like you put more emphasis on the coaches and not the wrestlers themselves.  When the choice was made, there were three four time AA's on staff.  If a wrestler cant learn from people that have been there done that, that's on them.

Dang Bronx... I could have liked you, seeing how I am a Yanks fan and all... lol.

This has nothing to do with IU keeping or recruiting local kids , but just retaining all kids they recruit.

The thread itself says ANOTHER INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL ELITE WRESTLER FLEES THE STATE...    :-*

Jeff all I will say,  is good luck to your son if you really are from CA.  You know what really happen with Zach.  IU did forfeit that weight multiple times this year.  The staff turnover, wrestler turnover speaks for itself

Yankees, do rule

How about I one up you and ask his current coaches about Zimmer?  That situation is known about as well as can be on this end.  Out of respect for the kid, I will keep that to myself.  I will stay positive and just ask another California kid on the team about the coaches... Seems to have worked out just fine thanks...

Seems like you put more emphasis on the coaches and not the wrestlers themselves.  When the choice was made, there were three four time AA's on staff.  If a wrestler cant learn from people that have been there done that, that's on them.

Dang Bronx... I could have liked you, seeing how I am a Yanks fan and all... lol.

You probably couldn't have liked him, the dude thrives on hating IU. It's over the top. Good luck to you and your son!