Full nelson

Barrq

you know what ever happened to the ropes at the high school and college level?

Wrestling historians will tell you that when the ropes were taken away from the mat area, wrestlers began jumping and climbing the leftover ropes. It's amazing how one innovation led to another.

I've got a wrestling instruction book that was written in about 1900 by Farmer Burns (yes, Farmer is his first name).  It teaches how to run a full nelson, a.k.a. "double nelson".  The names of the moves and the pictures of them are hilarious.  The cover has 3 pictures of wrestling moves - 2 of which are highly illegal now - I'm not sure how bones and joints weren't broken all the time back then.  My assistant coach once broke the book out for a ref during a JV meet when our guy got called for a full nelson, claiming it was legal as a "double nelson".  He and the ref got a good laugh out of it.

Side Note:  A full nelson is harder to run and less effective than a half.  That's why international seniors don't run it even though it is legal.

Pretty sure this will be a technical violation on this board...  Oh well.

If you search their is actually a craft beverage company that has recently put out a special series with wrestling hold related names for their drinks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.