Lets not ruin the gift

Salinas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nominee for dumbest post of 2014

how so    if there are three matches going on you cant watch them all    so since this was a big match up    there were probably more people watching it than normal and half the crowd had to go to track wrestling to see who won the other "state" titles  or they just didnt care so they didnt look

Nominee for dumbest post of 2014

That's one of his smarter ones.  Scroll through the thread for the real gems.  Every stat he's given has been turned back on him, and he ignores the ones presented to him.  Like the awesome attendance numbers classed states are having.

You are right madtown.  There is no possible way to keep up on multiple matches at once.  I missed at least 60% of the Indiana state finals.  They really need to start doing the whole tournament on one mat.

That's one of his smarter ones.  Scroll through the thread for the real gems.  Every stat he's given has been turned back on him, and he ignores the ones presented to him.  Like the awesome attendance numbers classed states are having.

You are right madtown.  There is no possible way to keep up on multiple matches at once.  I missed at least 60% of the Indiana state finals.  They really need to start doing the whole tournament on one mat.

keeping up and watching are two different things    and you cant compare ohio's numbers with ours because no one whats to go straight finals to finals per kid    cant do opening night results because they open on thursday  and you want to count every participant in the consols and finals in indiana because its one session      until ohio can put up three times the numbers indiana does (since they have three times the participants)  they havent even matched indiana

keeping up and watching are two different things    and you cant compare ohio's numbers with ours because no one whats to go straight finals to finals per kid    cant do opening night results because they open on thursday  and you want to count every participant in the consols and finals in indiana because its one session      until ohio can put up three times the numbers indiana does (since they have three times the participants)  they havent even matched indiana

So Ohio would have to draw about 33k for the finals to satisfy you?

Here are the things you need to quantify a state championship

Not be held in a high school gym

-Thus the year IHSAA state was moved to New Castle the champions crowned are null and void for him

Not be classed

-Thus about 90% of the "state champions" in the country are null and void according to him

His attendance is necessary to be called a state champion

-Thus probably only about 15 years of state champions are really state champions, it is a very select group

Lights must be turned off

-Thus in 2002 when the lights were on, the "champions" are not recognized

Here are the things you need to quantify a state championship

Not be held in a high school gym

-Thus the year IHSAA state was moved to New Castle the champions crowned are null and void for him

Not be classed

-Thus about 90% of the "state champions" in the country are null and void according to him

His attendance is necessary to be called a state champion

-Thus probably only about 15 years of state champions are really state champions, it is a very select group

Lights must be turned off

-Thus in 2002 when the lights were on, the "champions" are not recognized

Y2,

You also forgot that 90% of the audience must be viewing the state championship match to certify the win.  The other 10% can be in the restrooms or getting nachos.

Y2,

You also forgot that 90% of the audience must be viewing the state championship match to certify the win.  The other 10% can be in the restrooms or getting shave ice.

Let me correct that for you.

I am sure we can add if the venue doesn't serve shave ice that it can't be a state championship.

Remember it is a divisional championship, not a state championship. He is not proud at all of winning the Ohio divisional tournament.

I heard rumors Jeff Jordan is moving to coach at a rural Kentucky school next year. He was interviewed in Urbana just hours after winning another "mythical" state title. Rumor has it he chucked his state title into the trash and almost let out a curse word. He said, I'm not proud of ever being only 1/3 of a champion. When asked about his son Micky and his fourth state title, Jordan responded, "what a joke, Micky didn't get more than thirty two, or thirty three percent of the respect he deserved.  They may as well put up partitions in between the mats like some gosh darn truck stop restroom."

Jordan went on to say that he is tired of wasting his time training kids that don't have opportunities to win in real state tournaments. Rumor has it, he will move shop this year to Possum Trot, Ky and hire David Taylor as an assistant coach.

It has also been rumored that Jim Jordan will no longer be defending his seat in congress. He is tired of winning a "district" championship every election year. A non-classed Senate bid is likely in his future.

It's already classed, 106lbs. 113lbs. 120lbs If your wanting to better the state tourney, tighten up the weights [every 4 or 5 lbs] 104 108 112 116. Allows for more intreg.for team comp. more weight classes equal more chances for more kids. Wrestle on sundays  for Regionals. semis-state,&State. Take top 32 to each & have double elimination with full wrestle back to 2nd.  With 20 weights & 32 wrestlers ( 640 ) it would be an awesome experience.

I heard rumors Jeff Jordan is moving to coach at a rural Kentucky school next year. He was interviewed in Urbana just hours after winning another "mythical" state title. Rumor has it he chucked his state title into the trash and almost let out a curse word. He said, I'm not proud of ever being only 1/3 of a champion. When asked about his son Micky and his fourth state title, Jordan responded, "what a joke, Micky didn't get more than thirty two, or thirty three percent of the respect he deserved.  They may as well put up partitions in between the mats like some gosh darn truck stop restroom."

Jordan went on to say that he is tired of wasting his time training kids that don't have opportunities to win in real state tournaments. Rumor has it, he will move shop this year to Possum Trot, Ky and hire David Taylor as an assistant coach.

It has also been rumored that Jim Jordan will no longer be defending his seat in congress. He is tired of winning a "district" championship every election year. A non-classed Senate bid is likely in his future.

Kentucky is classed, right?

Maybe he should move to Indiana.

The IHSWCA surveyed this a few years ago, and the vast majority, at least 80% of the coaches said that they did not want it (it may have been closer to 90% I cannot remember).

I coach at a small school, we have had a fair amount of success.  I have been very open about my opinions on class wrestling in the past.  I will say that I have changed in this regard, while I don't think that class wrestling would add much for anyone, I also don't think that it would completely kill the sport here either.  For us it would just mean that all of a sudden our regional, and semi-state guys would be called state qualifiers.  The kids have said as much when we discuss this and it would be what it would be I guess.  My kids that want to become better wrestlers and challenge for state do so.  They work in the off season and go to camps.  They are usually pretty successful by the end of their careers.  The kids that would be helped by class wrestling are the ones who are on the team, but don't put in the extra time to get better, they would all of a sudden move further on in the tournament, and would be able to do so by doing what they are already doing.

I think that small schools can and do compete pretty well in our state.  I never feel as though I our my kids are somehow cheated by the system.  OUr kids have been state qualifiers, and those that have made it are  the ones have are  the best athletes, and the ones that work the hardest.  This is the same at schools of any size, it just so happens that big schools have more kids that work harder and are better athletes.  In my opinion my top end guys are at no disadvantage because they wrestle for us as opposed to anyone else. 

Sometimes I do think about what it would be like to have classed individual state, and I think that it would be nice to have it a little easier in getting kids to "state" but to be honest that is for completely selfish reasons, I truly don't think it would mean that our kids have gotten better, just that they had an easier road to get there.  The kids that work hard will still be the state qualifiers, they just will have a better chance to get there.

Class wrestling creates opportunities. Yes out of the gate for a year it might be a little on the down side. But go to the ohio and PA state tournament once and count how many kids in that tournament will go D 1 as well as true freshman AA's. The rich get richer by classing. They will grow!!! Indiana is for a lack of better words shooting itself in the foot restricting opportunities by not allowing class wrestling as well as a true wrestling back. The whole "true state champ" is a dead horse we have all been beating for a while. Its holding back our state and keeping us from becoming a true powerhouse that we want it to be!

The real question is at what point does classing become handing out the participation ribbons? 3 classes? 4 classes? I'm all for classing if it actually does grow the sport but what we don't need is everybody and their mother being state qualifiers/SS qualifiers. Although it would be interesting to see some of the wrestling mothers wrestle  ;D

I agree that winning a state championship even in a classed tournament is something special to the kids. But what would become less special in my opinion is your SS qualifiers or Regional qualifiers. They'd be our current regional qualifiers or sectional alternates. How about some helpful suggestions for growing our awesome sport along with classes?

The real question is at what point does classing become handing out the participation ribbons? 3 classes? 4 classes? I'm all for classing if it actually does grow the sport but what we don't need is everybody and their mother being state qualifiers/SS qualifiers. Although it would be interesting to see some of the wrestling mothers wrestle  ;D

Two classes would still mean about 10% of the participants at sectional were state qualifiers. This would put us at the 8th lowest percentage of state qualifiers right behind Ohio.  I think most people would be happy with a two class system at the start.

I would even be a fan of 12 qualifiers in 1A and 16 qualifiers in 2A with a total of 28 state qualifiers.

I agree that winning a state championship even in a classed tournament is something special to the kids. But what would become less special in my opinion is your SS qualifiers or Regional qualifiers. They'd be our current regional qualifiers or sectional alternates. How about some helpful suggestions for growing our awesome sport along with classes?

If we would have a classed system my guess is we would only have three levels of the state tournament, sectional, regional and state.

Sectional- 16 sectionals in each class with 8-12 teams in each sectional, top 4 advance

Regional- 4 regionals per class with top 3 or 4 advancing to state.

State- 12/16 for each class

Eliminating a week of the state tournament would probably make the IHSAA very happy also.

A two class system doesn't sound that bad. But speaking of the IHSAA, do you think they'd listen to our opinion if we gave a definitive yes we want classed wrestling?

The IHSAA is a different beast. If they were to do this, it would happen across all individual sports. It would take more than wrestling coaches to get this done. It would take track, cross country, tennis, golf, etc coaches also. It would really take a big proposal from principals who would push for this for it to go through.

Two classes would still mean about 10% of the participants at sectional were state qualifiers. This would put us at the 8th lowest percentage of state qualifiers right behind Ohio.  I think most people would be happy with a two class system at the start.

I would even be a fan of 12 qualifiers in 1A and 16 qualifiers in 2A with a total of 28 state qualifiers.

If we would have a classed system my guess is we would only have three levels of the state tournament, sectional, regional and state.

Sectional- 16 sectionals in each class with 8-12 teams in each sectional, top 4 advance

Regional- 4 regionals per class with top 3 or 4 advancing to state.

State- 12/16 for each class

Eliminating a week of the state tournament would probably make the IHSAA very happy also.

+1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.