How much weight do they cut? - Revisited

nosoccermomhere

I remember reading a post earlier in the year where people were talking about how much weight the wrestlers were cutting to be successful. The answer is none.  Tommy Cash wrestled his natural weight all year and most of the year was coming in underweight.  At one point his coach told him that his assignment was to gain some weight.  He never missed a meal and ate breakfast before every weigh in. I would love to see more kids do this.  The secret to success isn't getting better at cutting weight, its getting better at the weight you are at.

Just thought that this was worth noting.

I remember reading a post earlier in the year where people were talking about how much weight the wrestlers were cutting to be successful. The answer is none.  Tommy Cash wrestled his natural weight all year and most of the year was coming in underweight.  At one point his coach told him that his assignment was to gain some weight.  He never missed a meal and ate breakfast before every weigh in. I would love to see more kids do this.  The secret to success isn't getting better at cutting weight, its getting better at the weight you are at.

My son went from cutting a ton last year to not cutting this year (he cut down for 2 tournaments and decided he didn't want to do that again), I can assure you he was as competitive at the higher weight as he would have been cutting and he enjoyed his season MUCH more not cutting.

I always thought it would be more beneficial to do hydration test at sectionals.  It's not that I think that coaches and AD's are lying.  I just find it hard that most kids can pass them by the time they get to semi-state.  I understand that the rule is set up to insure that kids are not cutting to much weight at the beginning of a season, but I think that if its a rule set up by the ISHAA than it should be carried out by their paid officials.  That would seem a bit more fair and official to me.  I have not heard of any people asking to see official weigh in sheets to check and see if these kids did their cut down correctly.  As a pass wrestler myself, I understand the weight cutting gig and cut 20 plus pounds both my senior and junior years.  If there is going to be a rule set, that could be corrupted than it needs to have a check and balance system that works.  I understand that we now have taken recording this info out of the coaches hands and put it into an AD's or PT's hands, but there is what I would consider still a conflict of interest. There are a lot of kids that I believe would not pass hydration test.  As a Registered Nurse I believe I am qualified to make such a statement.  It is easy enough to see the sunken eyes, chapped lips and lethargic actions of these normally explosive energetic athletes.

That would have been pointless for tommy to cut any weight anyway. 3rd at 32 or 1st at 38?!? Easy choice. But let's say he was weighing 43. Would he have stayed with the "lets not cut weight"? Cut 5lbs for one weigh in then 3 for the state series. Or just be 3rd at 45 instead of winning state

I cant say with certainty because this is now, but I can say that when he said, " im wrestling138 this year" lecount was still at 138, harvey was still at 138, Wilson was still at 126 & james was sitting pretty at 132. We told him, either you go down to 132 or you spend more time on the mat and in the weight room. So his choices were either spend your extra time cutting weight or spend your extra time getting better at where you are at..he chose to work harder at where he was. And to say "3rd @132 or 1st @ 138" not only is unfair to Tommy because I think he would have been in the mix at 132, but is disrespectful to the other talented wrestlers at 138 because it was not an easy weight class by any means.

I cant say with certainty because this is now, but I can say that when he said, " im wrestling138 this year" lecount was still at 138, harvey was still at 138, Wilson was still at 126 & james was sitting pretty at 132. We told him, either you go down to 132 or you spend more time on the mat and in the weight room. So his choices were either spend your extra time cutting weight or spend your extra time getting better at where you are at..he chose to work harder at where he was. And to say "3rd @132 or 1st @ 138" not only is unfair to Tommy because I think he would have been in the mix at 132, but is disrespectful to the other talented wrestlers at 138 because it was not an easy weight class by any means.

great response

I was just using that situation as an example. I never saw LeCount or Harvey ever at 38. Both wrestled from day 1 at 45. 3rd is at any weight is 100% "in the mix". 38 was a very good weight but no one or two guys could dominate week in and out like 32.

I was just using that situation as an example. I never saw LeCount or Harvey ever at 38. Both wrestled from day 1 at 45. 3rd is at any weight is 100% "in the mix". 38 was a very good weight but no one or two guys could dominate week in and out like 32.

It is funny how little you guys actually know sometimes!

And to say "3rd @132 or 1st @ 138" not only is unfair to Tommy because I think he would have been in the mix at 132, but is disrespectful to the other talented wrestlers at 138 because it was not an easy weight class by any means.

I agree - Lets just say great job Tommy!  This is a true test to a wrestler's dedication. 

Thanks for the info. Looking back on his tourney run, he looked significantly stronger than everyone he wrestled.

I think I heard Josh Farrell did the same thing his Junior year. He got stronger as the season went on instead of cutting all the time and avenged some early season losses during the state series.

I have no reason to believe these stories (Cash, Harvey, etc) are anything but 100% true. However, for every  1 of these examples, i can think of 10 others who decided not to cut "ANY" weight their senior year & had the worst season of their HS career. "Cutting a little weight" & "starving" are two very different things. Its about getting the fat off & finding that weight class in which you are most competitive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.