Gloating

Htfit78

I think the no celebration is gloating.    Don't act like you are so far above Indiana wrestling and your competitors that you seem ungrateful.    Obviously I'm joking but this is what you sound like arguing about kids getting excited.  Let me repeat.  This is what you sound like arguing about KIDS getting excited. Unless you are getting in your opponent's face or doing the Tito Ortiz "dig the hole and bury 'em" out there it is not gloating.  It's excitement and emotion of finally reaching your goal that you have sought after for years

I think the no celebration is gloating.    Don't act like you are so far above Indiana wrestling and your competitors that you seem ungrateful.    Obviously I'm joking but this is what you sound like arguing about kids getting excited.  Let me repeat.  This is what you sound like arguing about KIDS getting excited. Unless you are getting in your opponent's face or doing the Tito Ortiz "dig the hole and bury 'em" out there it is not gloating.  It's excitement and emotion of finally reaching your goal that you have sought after for years

I agree with this. As a wrestle myself, I would definitely celebrate if I were to be champion. I bet if anyone on this thread were to win the highest honor in the sport of their choice, they would definitely celebrate. Let them do what they want, they've earned it.

Last post on this and then I'm done.  First, I am not saying a little celebratory action is wrong.  I stated this in my original post.  But extreme actions of gloating is antagonizing to there opponent.  You can't tell me as a YOUNG MAN you would not be frustrated enough to have lost, let alone to watch your opponent rub your nose in it.  It's not classy and it shows that you don't respect your opponent's hard work.  If you can condone this perhaps you have not ever been the guy who lost after almost achieving.  Have class shake the young man's hand and celebrate with your fans, friends and family later.

There are many examples of poor sportsmanship in wrestling and all sports.  However, I would never count the celebration after winning an Individual State championship as being a poor sport.  Unless of course you chest bump the coach/dad of the kid you just beat. 

In all seriousness, in the State Championship match, I say go for it and show your individual style and celebrate however you wish.  It's hard to feel sorry for the guy who lost the match - finishing 2nd under the lights isn't too bad..........

Last post on this and then I'm done.  First, I am not saying a little celebratory action is wrong.  I stated this in my original post.  But extreme actions of gloating is antagonizing to there opponent.  You can't tell me as a YOUNG MAN you would not be frustrated enough to have lost, let alone to watch your opponent rub your nose in it.  It's not classy and it shows that you don't respect your opponent's hard work.  If you can condone this perhaps you have not ever been the guy who lost after almost achieving.  Have class shake the young man's hand and celebrate with your fans, friends and family later.

I've also been that guy twice. My sr year the dude crotch chopped while I was in on a double..

Some wrestlers, like Robinson, understandably expect to be at the top of the podium therefore their reaction is very reserved. While other wrestlers work their butts off for years with the goal of winning a state title (or simply win their ticket round match to become a SQer) and it takes everything they have & a little good fortune to actually achieve it. It is very understandable that their reaction might be a little more emotional. Not to mention that an individuals personality will have a lot to do with ones reaction.

I believe there are times when it is OK to celebrate & that can be different for different wrestlers (i.e. the ticket round at S.S., the 1st round at state making one a state placer or winning the title). But the real issue at hand is that what one person sees as gloating another sees as harmless & deserved celebration.

The way I see it, gloating is getting in someones face &/or focusing any form of celebration directly at them. Simply celebrating on your own or with your coach &/or your fans is not, but that is simply my opinion. But just because one persons celebrating is more energetic than anothers does not mean it is gloating. But most importantly, just because you think a persons actions is gloating does not mean that it is if that person didn't intend it that way.

I'll bet everyone on here has offended someone in their lifetime when it wasn't intended - they just took it that way.

Lol you tell me that if you won a state title, you wouldn't celebrate? Get outta town

I think I know which match your talking about.. Steven Sanderfur did an amazing break dance after he won. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Amazing wrestler and pretty good break dancer as well

Parent or student, coach or wrestler, official or table help, you will always find someone that disagrees with you whatever the topic.  Simple answer is, only one person has control over how they act after winning a state championship and I leave that totally up to them.  As long as they are not directly belittling their opponent (which I don't ever recall seeing) then I am all for it.  I can feel for the kid that "loses it" and celebrates like a whack-job as it tells me that they are truly excited about the win and are realizing the benefit of, for many, a life's work.

There won't be many other life events that rival winning a state championship.  The first time you become a father some dudes sit in the chair and wait for the kid.  I ran down the halls, crying like a baby, cheering like a school girl, and handing out cigars.

Hell I remember Pat Day getting ***potty mouth*** for hugging his opponent!?  Some people wake up with urine on their corn flakes and your never going to make them happy.  ???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.