Gloating

Htfit78

Coaches I beg you go home and teach these kids that act like wild untamed morons after they win to have some class.  I understand clapping and even pointing to your fans it is an emotional time, but some of it is taunting.  I will give an example from years ago so I don't single anyone out.  A few years ago a senior who was an animal, beat a very young but also very good freshman(by a small margin) in the finals.  Instead of just walking to the line fist pumping or clapping for his accomplishment, he decided he needed to go to the center of the mat and break dance.  Now I was there and I can tell you not only did he take away from his victory by looking like a fool but it also cause people, myself included to regret chairing for such a person.  So coaches and parents just please work with your young men on being adults they are almost there, you know!

There was a time I probably would have agreed with you. But these are kids that have spent thousands of hours keeping themselves in check and totally focused. If they happen to reach the pinnacle of Indiana HS wrestling, I say let them act like fools in front of 10,000 wrestling fans. They've earned it. And it gives us something to talk about!

Coaches I beg you go home and teach these kids that act like wild untamed morons after they win to have some class.  I understand clapping and even pointing to your fans it is an emotional time, but some of it is taunting.  I will give an example from years ago so I don't single anyone out.  A few years ago a senior who was an animal, beat a very young but also very good freshman(by a small margin) in the finals.  Instead of just walking to the line fist pumping or clapping for his accomplishment, he decided he needed to go to the center of the mat and break dance.  Now I was there and I can tell you not only did he take away from his victory by looking like a fool but it also cause people, myself included to regret chairing for such a person.  So coaches and parents just please work with your young men on being adults they are almost there, you know!

Good post.

Did you see Devon Jackson after he won state in 2012? Textbook on how to win with class.

How many state titles did you win?  You have no idea how you would act.  You may even flop on your back and do the  cockroach.  Unless you direct a taunt towards your opponent it's clean. Let them have their moment

I say let em celebrate.  I am all for having class in everything you do whether it be school, work, athletics, etc. but you also gotta have fun.  We take sports a little too seriously sometimes imo. It's not taunting it's showing emotion after a hard fought battle.  I promise nobody is looking down on the guy the just beat 3 to 2 in overtime they are just pumped for themselves.  Plus you better believe if I won a state championship I wouldda went crazy and I can't even dance.  Maybe pull out a slow dance or something  ;)

the chad red post is locked but i saw someone bashing him for waving his arms after semis and getting the crowd pumped.  then putting his hand to his ear and i dont remember who posted it but they said "can you hear me now"  i actually believe what he was shooting for was getting the crowd to scream and him wanting it louder saying "i cant hear you" by putting his hand to his ear.  i had no problem with that    people want our sport to be more appealing to the outsiders that dont watch wrestling but you dont want to let it be exciting 

from now on the crowd isnt allowed to cheer either    only golf clap  lol

Reece didn't break dance when he beat Howe, he did a flip.  You get to do whatever you want when you're a champion. Especially a young champion. Get over it.

I was actually disappointed not to see more flips and dances! When you go through a grinder and win a State Championship, I think you should get at least a minute to go wild!!!! Thousands of hours of focus and you finally get to pat yourself on the back - these guys earn that celebration!

They also was mistaken by saying the crowd was booing Red. I was booing the ref for giving Glog a cheap 2 points at the end just to make it look close. No control  No points.

Uh no that's not it

The Avon HWTs cartwheel was pretty sweet.  I agree these kids aren't taunting their opponents, they are celebrating their accomplishment. I say let them have their moment they have earned it.

Personally I think this was the best celebration of the night!!! It was great!

I'm not sure - other than Red's chest bump, which i'm sure meant no harm - that there was anything too terrible.  with that being said, I love how some guys didn't really celebrate all.  off the top of my head, I know Gelen Robinson didn't and I don't think Cash did...I know there were others as well. 

How about when Deondre won and he got slammed by his coach?  that was entertaining.

I don't want to argue with anyone on this site and have no plans on making arguments on how it feels to win a state championship as I have never wrestled.  I am strictly a fan.  However  what drew me to this sport was the grit and grind of it,  and it seems the more years that go by the uglier they let the celebrating get.  I believe you are correct that Humphrey did a back flip after the match but all the same, a great wrestler who had just out wrestled who would be an accomplished NCAA wrestler (Howe) didn't need to had the whoopla.  If wrestling is not enough to get you into the sport you need not be involved.  And to comment on the football reference, if a high school football player acted the way some of those kids did this weekend they would have been penalized.  And yes I did play football.

I don't want to argue with anyone on this site and have no plans on making arguments on how it feels to win a state championship as I have never wrestled.  I am strictly a fan.  However  what drew me to this sport was the grit and grind of it,  and it seems the more years that go by the uglier they let the celebrating get.  I believe you are correct that Humphrey did a back flip after the match but all the same, a great wrestler who had just out wrestled who would be an accomplished NCAA wrestler (Howe) didn't need to had the whoopla.  If wrestling is not enough to get you into the sport you need not be involved.  And to comment on the football reference, if a high school football player acted the way some of those kids did this weekend they would have been penalized.  And yes I did play football.

This is a well thought out post and raises some good points.  As wrestlers, I think we often identify with being humble in regards to our holistic sport identity; we don't get the fame and publicity of football or other major sports.  However, we take pride in this.  Wrestling, training, and all that goes into it is done purely for the love of the sport.

I am not saying that wrestlers cannot celebrate when they win; this is an intense, personal, and emotional sport.  I have celebrated after some wins; I hope never to a level that was deemed unsportsmanlike by anyone.  I think to some people celebrating could be seen as contradiction to the humility that our sport identifies with.  I think there is a place for celebrating, but at some point there has to be a line drawn.  As to who draws that line, that is a whole separate debate...

I dunno. I like a good back flip..I remember in early 90's a Northrop kid doing a series of flips all the way across the mats. I just don't think it's gloating..unless it is. I think Gelen is a great example as a human being and a winner but I don't think for 2 years now he even THOUGHT he wouldn't win the title. He was reserved as always. I like the kids who maybe it seems like an upset or they have fallen short several times and then get it..Go crazy! My favorite part is when they jump into their coaches arms..go celebrate with coach!..I will say that it seems more genuine the first time they win it and celebrate then number 2 or 3 but I don't know what it feels like. Not much of a showboater myself but I was never good enough to be one. Act like you have been there before...I never have so I don't know what that means but I like human emotion. It's a State title not a TD in any given football game..Be gracious..and go nuts.

I dunno. I like a good back flip..I remember in early 90's a Northrop kid doing a series of flips all the way across the mats. I just don't think it's gloating..unless it is. I think Gelen is a great example as a human being and a winner but I don't think for 2 years now he even THOUGHT he wouldn't win the title. He was reserved as always. I like the kids who maybe it seems like an upset or they have fallen short several times and then get it..Go crazy! My favorite part is when they jump into their coaches arms..go celebrate with coach!..I will say that it seems more genuine the first time they win it and celebrate then number 2 or 3 but I don't know what it feels like. Not much of a showboater myself but I was never good enough to be one. Act like you have been there before...I never have so I don't know what that means but I like human emotion. It's a State title not a TD in any given football game..Be gracious..and go nuts.

Robinson had the same reaction he would if he had just went to the mailbox to get the mail..."just another day." That is awesome.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.