Corsaro got screwed!

rey mysterio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding the ankle while staying on the mat and not trying to work up is stalling. Its stalling in the 1st period it's stalling in OT. Even if the guy is trying to kick out. Hiestand made zero attempt to return Corsaro to the mat. Vinny would get to his feet Hiestand would drop to both knees grab the ankle and keep his head down on the mat. Making no attempt to move up. I could see them letting the first 3 times he dropped to an ankle because you don't want to make a guy lose on that call but the 4th time it should have been called. If everyone is going to say "your job is to ride the guy out". Then what happens when wrestlers start to just lift and hold their opponents in the air or run them straight off the mat to kill the clock? All because its OT and the rules shouldn't matter? Vinny wrestled terrible and Hiestand wrestled very well with a stalling game plan. How many times do you think Hiestand was on the edge of the mat going out of bounds? I'd somewhere around 10-15 maybe. Not to mention all the stalling on top.

The stalemate were called quick the first ride out Vinny did the same thing. Maybe a adjustment should have been made look at kemper and Jolas. Kemper slide behind for 2. I thought this was a well officiated match. Every time hiestand dropped down Vinny would give a couple kicks then a stalemate would be called. What was there 4 stalemates in that :30 seconds?

Corsaro might have ended the period dropping down, but he did not spend the whole period doing so. He had break downs and lifted returns. Hiestand dropped down numerous times. Both knees, both elbows and forehead planted on the mat not looking to improve position or wrestle on top at all. I think maybe "Ride him out" needs to be looked at more of "Wrestle him out". You still have to wrestle on top in the OT. Even in the sudden death OT when Vinny stopped wrestling and wasn't even moving in the last 10 seconds Hiestand did not even try to take his forehead off the mat or move up from the ankle.

Stalling is probably the most inconsistent call in the sport, my son lost a match earlier this year by 1 point despite dragging his opponent around the mat for 20+ seconds as he held onto the ankle, I told him next time get your ankle free because nobody is calling that. So it goes.

If I remember correctly,  he dropped to the ankle, it looked like he tried to climb up to the knee from there, but couldn't really go further up with Corsaro kicking away. I don't have a dog in the fight but it wasn't stalling imo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.