Rex's Request

brizzit

Rex Stillions is a Bloomington South wrestler who had an amazing season. He finished last year 1-32. This year he was a Sectional Champion and a Semi State qualifier! Rex never gave up and showed so many people what one can accomplish with dedication and hard work. He is an incredible kid who also has type 1 Diabetes. Below is a letter he wrote that I felt should be shared in the wrestling community.

This is Rex's Riley Dance Marathon fund raiser page. Riley Hospital has meant a great deal to our family over the last six years. Not quite sure how we would have gotten thru this without his wonderful endocrinologist and nurse practitioner! They have been life savers for us many times!!!

When I was 11 I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I had been drinking tons of water and my Mom knew that something wasn't right so we went to see Dr. Laughlin. He told me I had Type 1 diabetes and sent me immediately to Riley Hospital where I spent four days getting poked and prodded to get my blood sugar back to where it was suppose to be. While I was at Riley Hospital the doctors and nurses took great care of me. They showed to how to give myself a shot and how to test my blood sugar on my fingers.

Now six years in to my diabetes I take five shots a day and poke my finger numerous times a day to keep my blood sugar under control. I also have check ups at Riley every three months where I meet with my endocrinologist and have lab work done to see how in control my blood sugar has been. It is important that I keep by blood sugar under control because if I don't I can go in to a diabetic coma and die. My family and I feel very fortunate to have such a great hospital so close to us!

Since I am a Riley kid, I am lacing up my dancing shoes! I will be participating in a Dance Marathon that benefits Riley Hospital for Children and works to spread awareness of all the terrific kids in Riley's care. I will be on my feet dancing, playing games, and interacting with the kids from Riley who come as guests. Any money you donate will go straight to Riley Hospital for Children to improve care and save lives.

Just click on the "support me" button to make a donation. Every little bit helps. Then, please pass this on to anyone else who you think may want to help this cause.

Thank you for your support of my fundraising efforts for Riley Hospital for Children!

http://donate.rileykids.org/site/TR/Events/General?px=1311073&pg=personal&fr_id=1180

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.