Wrestlers' Names and State Final Announcer

InjuredReserve

Hello everyone ... this is Kevin Whitehead, and I must tell you that I've gotten quite a kick out of this trip down memory lane just as you have. Interestingly, you've listed most of my favorites, as well. The TJ HAYS phenomenon was simply the perfect intersection of hot wrestler with a rabid (Belmont) fan base; a can't miss combination. Jankowski and the echo from the Mater Dei folks was much the same ... it just never created quite the "wall of sound" that we had with TJ. The best combinations come from multi-syllabic names with long vowel sounds ... that's why names like Escobedo, Maldonado, and Weinzapfel were (and are) so great to work with. Hard consonants like Js and Ks are also good. The "growling R" sound in Radnovich worked so well because it seemed to mirror DJ's on-mat personality. Beyond the fan participation favorites (Hays was #1; Jankowski was #2), I think my personal favorites have probably been Rico Talamantes and Demetrius Jackson. Over 33 years, I'm sure I'm somewhere in excess of 5000 different wrestler names called out now, and there have been MANY great ones. It's been my honor and my pleasure to be entrusted with the state finals microphone all that time. Glad you all have enjoyed the ride with me! THANKS! 

Hello everyone ... this is Kevin Whitehead, and I must tell you that I've gotten quite a kick out of this trip down memory lane just as you have. Interestingly, you've listed most of my favorites, as well. The TJ HAYS phenomenon was simply the perfect intersection of hot wrestler with a rabid (Belmont) fan base; a can't miss combination. Jankowski and the echo from the Mater Dei folks was much the same ... it just never created quite the "wall of sound" that we had with TJ. The best combinations come from multi-syllabic names with long vowel sounds ... that's why names like Escobedo, Maldonado, and Weinzapfel were (and are) so great to work with. Hard consonants like Js and Ks are also good. The "growling R" sound in Radnovich worked so well because it seemed to mirror DJ's on-mat personality. Beyond the fan participation favorites (Hays was #1; Jankowski was #2), I think my personal favorites have probably been Rico Talamantes and Demetrius Jackson. Over 33 years, I'm sure I'm somewhere in excess of 5000 different wrestler names called out now, and there have been MANY great ones. It's been my honor and my pleasure to be entrusted with the state finals microphone all that time. Glad you all have enjoyed the ride with me! THANKS!

Good stuff. Thanks for the memories!

Didn't you used to announce New Castle Semi State?

Combatants get ready...

Winners go to state, loser go home...

+1,000,000....

Mr Whitehead you are the voice Indiana wrestling. Thank you for all that you do. I like the recognition you give to "The Big Names" when they graduate. You have an awesome grasp when it comes to the historical significance of capturing moments.

You also annually settle many bets when it comes to correct pronunciation of a name. Hahaha.

thank you thank you thank you!  this voice is what makes the finals what they are.

Kevin, great post!  However, I hope this is not a farewell.  I hope you have 33 more years in you. Great job this weekend as usual

Mr. Whitehead,

I have to say, I was a little embarrassed this weekend when I didn't recognize you at the hotel checking in, had to be pointed out to me. Then again, I am pretty sure if I would have heard you speak, it would have all came back to me! I definitely appreciate your contribution to wrestling and you are most definitely the voice of Indiana Wrestling.

Mr. Whitehead

I have a good friend who works for the NBC affiliate in Dayton... WDTN, and he also does Wright State athletics announcing.  His first question when I told him I was going to the state tournament was "is the same guy doing the announcing? He is one of my favorite sports voices I've heard."  I mention this because his only experience was the couple of state tournament I was lucky enough to compete in that he attended in the early 90s.  20 years later your announcing still resonates, and it is awesome to hear every year.  You are our Tom Carnegie. 

My sincere thanks to all who have weighed in here. The many wonderful comments shared are both humbling and extremely gratifying. I will honestly admit that the Tom Carnegie reference made me a bit emotional, because that's the model I've long held as the gold standard in this pursuit. To answer a couple of questions raised ... YES, I announced the New Castle semistate for the better part of the 1980s and 1990s, and then did several years at the Evansville semistate beginning with its move there in 2000. And NO, this is not intended as a farewell ... although I'm certainly not anticipating another 33 years! We'll just take it a year at a time ... always waiting for that next great name and next great moment! Bring 'em on!

My sincere thanks to all who have weighed in here. The many wonderful comments shared are both humbling and extremely gratifying. I will honestly admit that the Tom Carnegie reference made me a bit emotional, because that's the model I've long held as the gold standard in this pursuit. To answer a couple of questions raised ... YES, I announced the New Castle semistate for the better part of the 1980s and 1990s, and then did several years at the Evansville semistate beginning with its move there in 2000. And NO, this is not intended as a farewell ... although I'm certainly not anticipating another 33 years! We'll just take it a year at a time ... always waiting for that next great name and next great moment! Bring 'em on!

Just an FYI you got a nice little mention on our Google Hangout last night.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.