More impressive freshman campaign, Lee or J. Tsirtsis?

PoTweet

Well said Maligned.

I must say I have been impressed with Lee's wrestling, but watching him handle himself after his only loss, I became even more impressed with his character.

He, Micic and their respective coaches put on a display of class and respect after that match.

Then saturday night, Lee was on the podium with a giant smile in place of the dejected look I saw from many others. It was refreshing to see.

Lee has the potential to carry on the role of ambassador that Micic has played so well.  These guys (Davis too) are everything that is right with Indiana Wrestling.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did notice many of the kids who lost with a dejected look on their face, but it is because they just lost.  Many of the third place finishers had smiles because they won their last match and had more time to blow off some steam from losing in the semi's.

Also great post Maligned.

• 5 months later...

Another set of markers to look at?

Lee follows up his freshman campaign by teching his way through cadet nationals.  In '08 after his freshman year, Jason finished 4th behind Brandon Wright, Alex Dieringer ('14 ncaa national champ), and Jesse Delgado ('14 ncaa national champ).  That's an insane weight class that probably exceeds the quality Lee faced, but Jason also lost to a kid that didn't place.  (He did not, however, lose to Happy Dang of Hawaii, who I noticed bowed out with an 0-2 record that year).  Still hard to peg exactly what this means, since Jason actually outscored Dieringer, a sophomore at the time and an aforementioned future ncaa champ, 8-4, in the old best-of-3 format.  Between that and beating Cashe, who won '09 junior nationals, during the season, you still could argue Tsirtsis' ceiling performances proved more despite his couple of blemishes.

You're right, of course...I searched the wrong year.  Thanks for the correction.  I'm still glad I stumbled on that '08 weight class.  Crazy group that I did not remember before seeing it again.

In '09, Jason teched, pinned, or would have teched everyone with today's scoring system--except for the finals loss to Cooper.

Mitchell Port was in that bracket at Fargo and was 5th or 6th.  He was a NCAA runner up last year and 3rd this year.  Delgado 2 time NCAA champ, Deringer NCAA champ and 3rd last year, Tsirtsis NCAA champ and Port NCAA runner up.  Tsirtsis beat port in that tournament.  Great weight class.  Tsirtisis was only going into his Freshman year.  Tsirtsis beat Wright at Indiana freestyle state that year as well they wrestled in the first round 6-0, 2-0 Tsirtsis.

Good find on that 08 Nationals maligned.  I also forgot about who all was in the top of that group. However, looking back at the placers now it proves to be a very impressive group Wright got the best of and  Tsirtsis was able to hang with. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.