Team State Champions

Mat_Rat_138

So what accusations are being made? That a family moved their son for what they felt was in the best interest of their child? If so I don't have too much of a problem with this. If the accusation is that PM, or cathedral, or (insert name here). Is going to middle school state, to freestyle tournaments, to where ever else they think they can find the next t-shirts and try and convince the family that their program is the best for little Timmy. That is what I would have an issue with. Family choice fine! High school programs recruiting....not cool.

By the way it does sound like Cathedral has the best shot.

Perry Middle School Champs, says they are from  PMMS beside their name. Not so much on others!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I said you were smart. Matt would you like to explain what the capital "S" is about or should I tell that story. LOL

Have a nice day Thornton ----- Not too civil for a school teacher ;)

Respectfully Jim Schoettle

So now you are taking a personal shot at my intelligence? I changed the font size on your quote, but your embedded font size for your S was smaller. It wasn't meant as a slight to you. You say I am not being civil. Pot meet kettle.

it shouldn't be that big of a deal for recruitment. I mean all these kids want to be the best so why not let them go somewhere they think they can be? Is it fair to school that can't recruit? yes. Is life fair? no. That's just how it goes.

Why not just have 20 super teams in the state and if your school isnt one of them then drop the program...life isnt fair and that will be a good lesson for those kids...."sorry guys no wrestling but this will teach you life isnt fair" 

So now you are taking a personal shot at my intelligence? I changed the font size on your quote, but your embedded font size for your S was smaller. It wasn't meant as a slight to you. You say I am not being civil. Pot meet kettle.

Yeah Right Dave !!! And Perry has never recruited or Cheated.  Have a nice Day Dave. 

;) ;)5 pages and counting. GO Irish !!!~!~!~!

Respectfully Jim Schoettle. We can talk later Matt. Please enlighten Dave on the capital "S"

Why not just have 20 super teams in the state and if your school isnt one of them then drop the program...life isnt fair and that will be a good lesson for those kids...."sorry guys no wrestling but this will teach you life isnt fair"

Or as a coach and a team you work your butt off to catch those 20 teams..... that seems like a little better lesson to take from this. I mean after all you only need 3 great kids for a good "team" per the new/old rules.

Yeah Right Dave !!! And Perry has never recruited or Cheated.  Have a nice Day Dave. 

Respectfully Jim Schoettle. We can talk later Matt. Please enlighten Dave on the capital "S"

I think everyones last name starts with a capital??? I could be wrong though!!!!~!~!~!

I just talked to Matt at lunch and he said he has no idea what you are talking about.

life isn't fair but you can always work with what you have. I come from a small school and it motivated me to push myself harder to out work the schools that have the talent and numbers. In my whole high school career I never had a full team and i can tell you right now that it made our team super happy when we beat schools that were bigger than us and had kids. 

life isn't fair but you can always work with what you have. I come from a small school and it motivated me to push myself harder to out work the schools that have the talent and numbers. In my whole high school career I never had a full team and i can tell you right now that it made our team super happy when we beat schools that were bigger than us and had kids.

+50

Or as a coach and a team you work your butt off to catch those 20 teams..... that seems like a little better lesson to take from this. I mean after all you only need 3 great kids for a good "team" per the new/old rules.

Yeah the problem is small schools dont work hard enough...cuz hard work is the only key factor in catching those top teams.  I mean population, move ins, school size, distance from school, etc etc has nothing to do with success...its all about good old hard work...haha really?!?

According to some people you didnt work hard enough...way to go.  So I would suggest if you want to play with the big boys you better put in more time cuz thats all it takes (sarcasm entered here)

Yeah the problem is small schools dont work hard enough...cuz hard work is the only key factor in catching those top teams.  I mean population, move ins, school size, distance from school, etc etc has nothing to do with success...its all about good old hard work...haha really?!?

If you say so... pretty sure I didn't say u didn't work hard but this was instead of dropping the program and quitting, which you suggested. I am pretty sure Indian creek did it a couple years ago. But hey if you feel defeated I'm sure a couple of schools will take the move ins

If there was ever a school in Indiana that has consistently, year in and year out, produced quality wrestling teams, it is Cathedral.  In my mind, if there was ever a school without a state title that deserves to hang a banner in their gym, it is Cathedral...even if it kinda pains me to say that (In a fun way of course).

If you are like me in your late 30s or 40s and grew up around Indianapolis or a certain school in Muncie, your view of the Fighting Irish is probably influenced by an amazing hall of fame coach.  Love or hate Coach Rhodes, no one can debate his teams were always beyond tough.  If you ever wrestled his kids or coached against him, win or lose, you inevitably walked away pretty much beat up.  In thirteen years we were only able to beat Cathedral once when we were at our best and they were in a building year while transitioning coaching staffs.  A year later Coach McGuinley and company came back to our gym and pretty much handed us our heads.   

Today, I am long removed from Indiana, coaching, and only get to follow wrestling as best I can through the internet and a few friends.  Looking back and with some distance I have no doubt that Cathedral, its history, its hard-nosed style, and even its controversy was and is only good for Indiana wrestling.  I would love for them to finally win a title.  So good luck to the entire Cathedral program, past and present, y'all truly deserve a long, long overdue championship.

I've been out of town. This topic kinda blew up :)

This was a great post. I appreciate your sentiments, MattS.

Yorktown is a smallish, ruralish school, yet under the guidance of Coaches McCormick and Dulaney they have gone from nobody to perennial power in the past 15-20 years.  The keys to success are hard work (believe it or not), elementary/middle school programs, and emphasis on year-round wrestling with the Olympic styles.  It doesn't hurt to travel to Disney Duals and out of state comeptitions during the regular season as well.

I'll comment briefly on the age-old recruiting talk. If you really want to get educated on recruiting, open enrollment, private/parochial/public classification, etc., I would encourage you to visit the www.gridirondigest.net. For years on this IHSAA football site, Cathedral has been educating the rest of the state on how we populate our halls with awesome student-athletes. We recruit pretty much every single person that comes to Cathedral. We have no feeder schools and we have no archdiocese endorsement like Chatard, Scecina, Ritter, and Roncalli. We recruit everyone and our selection process is rigid. Whether you are a good athlete, an amazing student, or have a unique talent, we want you. Can you afford the $12,000/year? That is another question. Many get aid, but none get "free rides". It is a commitment from every single parent to make a sacrifice to bring their son or daughter there. The sacrifice starts in the pocketbook, continues through rigorous educational demands, and ends with a 100% graduation rate and 94% college placement percentage.

The only recruiting fact you need to know about Perry, Cathedral, Penn, "whatever program is hot at the time" is parents chase good programs. Parents want the best for their children. Whether a kid drives by 3 high schools on the way to Cathedral, Perry, or Penn is irrelevant.  If you build an awesome program, people will find you. Look at Coach P at Carmel. He's got kids moving in from everywhere to be led by him and his program is in its infancy. "Move-ins", long commutes, etc. are a bi-product of pissing excellence.

I'm excited for the biggest weekend in Cathedral wrestling history. Don't eff this one up, boys. Kick arse tonight!!

I'll comment briefly on the age-old recruiting talk. If you really want to get educated on recruiting, open enrollment, private/parochial/public classification, etc., I would encourage you to visit the www.gridirondigest.net. For years on this IHSAA football site, Cathedral has been educating the rest of the state on how we populate our halls with awesome student-athletes. We recruit pretty much every single person that comes to Cathedral. We have no feeder schools and we have no archdiocese endorsement like Chatard, Scecina, Ritter, and Roncalli. We recruit everyone and our selection process is rigid. Whether you are a good athlete, an amazing student, or have a unique talent, we want you. Can you afford the $12,000/year? That is another question. Many get aid, but none get "free rides". It is a commitment from every single parent to make a sacrifice to bring their son or daughter there. The sacrifice starts in the pocketbook, continues through rigorous educational demands, and ends with a 100% graduation rate and 94% college placement percentage.

The only recruiting fact you need to know about Perry, Cathedral, Penn, "whatever program is hot at the time" is parents chase good programs. Parents want the best for their children. Whether a kid drives by 3 high schools on the way to Cathedral, Perry, or Penn is irrelevant.  If you build an awesome program, people will find you. Look at Coach P at Carmel. He's got kids moving in from everywhere to be led by him and his program is in its infancy. "Move-ins", long commutes, etc. are a bi-product of pissing excellence.

I'm excited for the biggest weekend in Cathedral wrestling history. Don't eff this one up, boys. Kick arse tonight!!

nice

If there was ever a school in Indiana that has consistently, year in and year out, produced quality wrestling teams, it is Cathedral.  In my mind, if there was ever a school without a state title that deserves to hang a banner in their gym, it is Cathedral...even if it kinda pains me to say that (In a fun way of course).

If you are like me in your late 30s or 40s and grew up around Indianapolis or a certain school in Muncie, your view of the Fighting Irish is probably influenced by an amazing hall of fame coach.  Love or hate Coach Rhodes, no one can debate his teams were always beyond tough.  If you ever wrestled his kids or coached against him, win or lose, you inevitably walked away pretty much beat up.  In thirteen years we were only able to beat Cathedral once when we were at our best and they were in a building year while transitioning coaching staffs.  A year later Coach McGuinley and company came back to our gym and pretty much handed us our heads.   

Today, I am long removed from Indiana, coaching, and only get to follow wrestling as best I can through the internet and a few friends.  Looking back and with some distance I have no doubt that Cathedral, its history, its hard-nosed style, and even its controversy was and is only good for Indiana wrestling.  I would love for them to finally win a title.  So good luck to the entire Cathedral program, past and present, y'all truly deserve a long, long overdue championship.

I do question your statement that they Deserve to hang a banner. I think you get those by Earning them. The majority of their wrestlers have never wrestled for their Coaches or been a part of that program before their Freshman year. I do though appreciate IWG for posting his comment on recruiting. That is true for Cathedral. No feeder systems, so they have to do what it takes to fill the halls. Going after the good ones are the way to do it. I am assuming they atleast still have a club. When you have the "Best" Middle School wrestlers, already trained,walking in the door there to start their HS career, it is hard to say they Deserve one. Now this weekend will show if they are still the Best as they were when they got there. JMO!

Yorktown is a smallish, ruralish school, yet under the guidance of Coaches McCormick and Dulaney they have gone from nobody to perennial power in the past 15-20 years.  The keys to success are hard work (believe it or not), elementary/middle school programs, and emphasis on year-round wrestling with the Olympic styles.  It doesn't hurt to travel to Disney Duals and out of state comeptitions during the regular season as well.

lmao thank you...I was rushing around stressing today and I needed a smile.