Team State Champions

Mat_Rat_138

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like who? I have been hearing that they will have a down year after losing their seniors.

Cathedral's cupboard will hardly be bare next year. They have Bailey, Turner, Harvey, Stewart and Rypel among others returning. The Irish will be strong again next year.

the George Steinbrenner/Jerry Jones of Indiana high school wrestling...lol

Love it. If you are in 7th or 8th grade, tell your mom we have a Camaro for her and tell your dad we have some bags of cash ready to distribute. You have to be a ISWA Middle School finalist though. If not, we'll save all that money for the good kids.

We've never won a state wrestling title in 40 years as one of the most prolific programs in the state. We are long overdue. Praying that we might snag in this year. 20 State Champs, 100s of medalists, multiple team Runners-Up, 20 or more Top 5 IHSAA Team finishes, etc. Hoping we can take care of business. In my mind, Penn has a great shot with some excellent draws. Perry has a great shot with two state champ contenders. And, Mater Dei can surprise w Egli/Lee as champs. Though we have some horses, this year is madly competitive. Should be a ton of fun.

Get it done, Irish. Your heritage anxiously awaits your performance. Let's go!

Love it. If you are in 7th or 8th grade, tell your mom we have a Camaro for her and tell your dad we have some bags of cash ready to distribute. You have to be a ISWA Middle School finalist though. If not, we'll save all that money for the good kids.

Dang it, they must have started this the year after my Middle School state champ enrolled there.  A new Camaro sure sounds nicer than my ride.  Maybe I better take this up with admissions. 

Cathedral has 3 strong champion candidates plus other likely placers...  If they just get all 3 to finals plus place the other three it may be too much for anyone to overcome...

Could be a tight race for second... Yorktown Perry EMD ... And Friday night may determine that between these three....

Dang it, they must have started this the year after my Middle School state champ enrolled there.  A new Camaro sure sounds nicer than my ride.  Maybe I better take this up with admissions.

Love hearing both sides of the argument! I don't think it has anything to do with the money, parents want their kids to succeed, and a strong wrestling program with good coaching is where they're going to send them.

We've never won a state wrestling title in 40 years as one of the most prolific programs in the state. We are long overdue. Praying that we might snag in this year. 20 State Champs, 100s of medalists, multiple team Runners-Up, 20 or more Top 5 IHSAA Team finishes, etc. Hoping we can take care of business. In my mind, Penn has a great shot with some excellent draws. Perry has a great shot with two state champ contenders. And, Mater Dei can surprise w Egli/Lee as champs. Though we have some horses, this year is madly competitive. Should be a ton of fun.

Get it done, Irish. Your heritage anxiously awaits your performance. Let's go!

a Camaro?........if i'm getting bags of cash my wife is going to want at least a ferrari.......

If there was ever a school in Indiana that has consistently, year in and year out, produced quality wrestling teams, it is Cathedral.  In my mind, if there was ever a school without a state title that deserves to hang a banner in their gym, it is Cathedral...even if it kinda pains me to say that (In a fun way of course).

If you are like me in your late 30s or 40s and grew up around Indianapolis or a certain school in Muncie, your view of the Fighting Irish is probably influenced by an amazing hall of fame coach.  Love or hate Coach Rhodes, no one can debate his teams were always beyond tough.  If you ever wrestled his kids or coached against him, win or lose, you inevitably walked away pretty much beat up.  In thirteen years we were only able to beat Cathedral once when we were at our best and they were in a building year while transitioning coaching staffs.  A year later Coach McGuinley and company came back to our gym and pretty much handed us our heads.   

Today, I am long removed from Indiana, coaching, and only get to follow wrestling as best I can through the internet and a few friends.  Looking back and with some distance I have no doubt that Cathedral, its history, its hard-nosed style, and even its controversy was and is only good for Indiana wrestling.  I would love for them to finally win a title.  So good luck to the entire Cathedral program, past and present, y'all truly deserve a long, long overdue championship.

If anyone other than Franklin wins the team title , it will show how flawed this system is . Franklin has already proven they are the best team in Indiana this year . Cathedral has 6 very good wrestlers , but a wrestling team is made up of 14 wrestlers , that is why the Irish have 3 dual losses .

If there was ever a school in Indiana that has consistently, year in and year out, produced quality wrestling teams, it is Cathedral.  In my mind, if there was ever a school without a state title that deserves to hang a banner in their gym, it is Cathedral...even if it kinda pains me to say that (In a fun way of course).

If you are like me in your late 30s or 40s and grew up around Indianapolis or a certain school in Muncie, your view of the Fighting Irish is probably influenced by an amazing hall of fame coach.  Love or hate Coach Rhodes, no one can debate his teams were always beyond tough.  If you ever wrestled his kids or coached against him, win or lose, you inevitably walked away pretty much beat up.  In thirteen years we were only able to beat Cathedral once when we were at our best and they were in a building year while transitioning coaching staffs.  A year later Coach McGuinley and company came back to our gym and pretty much handed us our heads.   

Today, I am long removed from Indiana, coaching, and only get to follow wrestling as best I can through the internet and a few friends.  Looking back and with some distance I have no doubt that Cathedral, its history, its hard-nosed style, and even its controversy was and is only good for Indiana wrestling.  I would love for them to finally win a title.  So good luck to the entire Cathedral program, past and present, y'all truly deserve a long, long overdue championship.

Always loved competing against Rhode even though he usually got the better of us too. Good guy. Great competitor. He had an amazing coaching gift for getting every last drop of talent out of his guys.

I dont really care who wins the team title, but it bothers me that none of the Cathedral studs (save Corsaro) are actually Cathedral products and are all move-ins. I know you can say the same for Perry and other schools so don't bash me too hard.

I guess it is just a different era with open enrollment than I am used to " back in my day".

I just don't see how you could say they "truly deserve it."  At md, most of those kids go to the feeder schools. Cathedral has kids from greenwood, new pal, etc.  How do they deserve it?  Just cause they haven't achieved it?  I really wouldn't say that if the first time those kids saw Cathedral's wrestling room wasn't their frosh year.

I just don't see how you could say they "truly deserve it."  At md, most of those kids go to the feeder schools. Cathedral has kids from greenwood, new pal, etc.  How do they deserve it?  Just cause they haven't achieved it?  I really wouldn't say that if the first time those kids saw Cathedral's wrestling room wasn't their frosh year.

The rules clearly state a student can go to whatever school he wants without penalty unless he switches schools, so quit your crying and yelling foul and learn to play with the big boys. If you don't think PM,EMD,Yorktown,Mishawaka,CP ect... hasn't been getting move-ins over the years for whatever reason than your delusional!!!

The rules clearly state a student can go to whatever school he wants without penalty unless he switches schools, so quit your crying and yelling foul and learn to play with the big boys. If you don't think PM,EMD,Yorktown,Mishawaka,CP ect... hasn't been getting move-ins over the years for whatever reason than your delusional!!!

Says the man that used to bleed Perry blue...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Cathedral has exactly zero feeder schools.  It is not part of the Indianapolis Archdiocese Schools whereas MD is part of the Evansville Diocese Schools.  Cathedral is a private high school unto itself.  One could make the argument that Cathedral gets Bishop Chatard's kids that come out of the Archdiocese schools, but so does Brebeuf, Park Tudor, North Central, LN, LC...  Heck, the whole north side of Indianapolis is a little bit unique compared to most areas of the state as it is dense with great high schools and with great programs in academics, athletics, performing arts, etc...  Perhaps so many championships land in that part of Marion County because so many schools have to raise their game to compete for the same kids.

Yeah, but teams like Perry also get move outs.  I am pretty sure cathedral's big guy grew up a half mile from the PM.  To say they deserve it is a strectch.  Some of the coaches from teams you mention are at elementary tournaments every weekend. 

Bob, I think our 3 state titles prove we can play with the big boys. And while we have had a couple of move ins, you can't really equate that with what Cathedral can do. No one is saying it is against the rules...we just operate in 2 different worlds.