Surprise studs at Semi-State

ENoblewrestling

Who were some guys that looked a little better than you expected at the semi-state?  One that really stood out for me was Clayton Moore from Manchester.  I really hadn't heard much about him from previous years, so he was a little under the radar imo, but he looked really good at Fort Wayne last weekend.

Austin Bethel (126) at the Evansville Semi-State, freshman came in with only 2 losses on the year, but everybody was picking Boles to beat him first round then pretty much having Schitter from Jasper as a lock to get 2nd...Bethel pulled out a close win over Boles 8-6, then dominated Schitter in the ticket round. Will be a tough kid IMO for the next 3 years.

Austin Bethel (126) at the Evansville Semi-State, freshman came in with only 2 losses on the year, but everybody was picking Boles to beat him first round then pretty much having Schitter from Jasper as a lock to get 2nd...Bethel pulled out a close win over Boles 8-6, then dominated Schitter in the ticket round. Will be a tough kid IMO for the next 3 years.

That was the first time I watched him wrestle and I was impressed. He injury defaulted to 4th place but I never heard what happened. I know that he wrestled Nick Lee several times this year and his Friday night draw was Micic. From the frying pan to the fire with that draw.

What about unranked Freshman Jake Ruberg from Lawrenceburg. He lost a very tight 2 to 1 match against Cash. Jake is a really good kid that has put in a lot of work. It has been awesome to see this kid grow up on the mat. Seems like at any national tournament that I have attended over the last several years Jake was there grinding. Good job young man and good luck this weekend.

Covaciu looked really tough as well. I knew coming in that he was a really good wrestler, but having Fuqua in the ticket round had me doubting his trip back to Bankers Life this season. Instead, Covaciu beat Fuqua by 2, pinned into the finals, and only lost to Hughes by 1 in a very close match. I could easily see him upsetting Lykins & Krumlauf and wrestling Hughes in the finals, again.

That was the first time I watched him wrestle and I was impressed. He injury defaulted to 4th place but I never heard what happened. I know that he wrestled Nick Lee several times this year and his Friday night draw was Micic. From the frying pan to the fire with that draw.

Great wrestler and kid. Mt. Vernon has 3 more years with him and Konrath to cause headaches for Castle Regionals coaches.

Who were some guys that looked a little better than you expected at the semi-state?  One that really stood out for me was Clayton Moore from Manchester.  I really hadn't heard much about him from previous years, so he was a little under the radar imo, but he looked really good at Fort Wayne last weekend.

Coach Maggart making an impact!!!!!!!!! Way to go Clayton and Coach Maggart!!!1

What about unranked Freshman Jake Ruberg from Lawrenceburg. He lost a very tight 2 to 1 match against Cash. Jake is a really good kid that has put in a lot of work. It has been awesome to see this kid grow up on the mat. Seems like at any national tournament that I have attended over the last several years Jake was there grinding. Good job young man and good luck this weekend.

I have been very impressed with Ruberg this season.

Ruberg is a great kid that's lucky enough to have a great dad behind him that's not scared to help push him towards Jakes Goals & Dreams but also lets the kid be a kid and not push him away from the sport. He stands beside him win or lose and is willing to take him anywhere to get better day in & day out. So to call him a Surprise Stud is wrong you just haven't been watching the kid because the kid has been a Stud for years......

Ruberg is a great kid that's lucky enough to have a great dad behind him that's not scared to help push him towards Jakes Goals & Dreams but also lets the kid be a kid and not push him away from the sport. He stands beside him win or lose and is willing to take him anywhere to get better day in & day out. So to call him a Surprise Stud is wrong you just haven't been watching the kid because the kid has been a Stud for years......

Agreed! Did not mean that he was not a stud. I just know that he was unranked and off a lot of radars. But I agree... no surprise for me either. I have seen the hard work that he has put in. That is what I was saying. Many have not seen him. Was trying to give him a complement. May have came out wrong. Again, Good luck this weekend buddy. Good luck to your son too. I will be rooting for both boys!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.