IHSAA Team State Tournament (New Format)

As a fan of the IHSAA Team State tournament, I was pretty disappointed when they announced it would be discontinued following the 2012 finals. I've also seen how for the past two seasons, the IHSWCA has put together a classed tournament to show the IHSAA how one can work. Most states ow use the dual meet format now, and with a few tweaks and adjustments, I believe the IHSAA can bring in lots of money and positivity in the Indiana high school wrestling community. I mean, let's face it, the only real way to decide who's truly the best team in Indiana is to have them go head-to-head. Here's my idea for a new format. Feedback would be much appreciated.

IHSAA Team State Tournament Series

Format

- Three Classes (A, AA, AAA)

- Team Sectional & Regional Tournament

Sectional Breakdown

- 8 Sectionals per class

- 8 teams per sectional

- Top 4 advance to regional

- Wednesday/Thursday before individual sectional

- 4 mats in host team's gymnasium as duals will all go at once

Regional Breakdown

- 4 Regionals per class

- 4 teams per regional

- Top 2 teams advance to state finals

- Wednesday/Thursday before individual regional

- 2 mats as all duals will go at once

State Breakdown

- The winning teams of each regional will receive seeds 1-4 based upon record, margin of victory, and teams beaten.

- The runner up teams of each regional will be put opposite of their regional opponents in a random draw

- There will be three rounds, with wrestle backs to fifth. The two loser teams in the semifinals will wrestle for third and fourth.

- At the conclusion of the semifinals, the six championship teams will receive a break as the wrestle backs will begin.

- The finals will start thirty minutes after the conclusion of the wrestle backs. The six championship teams will begin a face off and will wrestle on three separate mats. All duals will go at once.

- The winning teams will be presented with the championship trophy, and will receive medals upon the presentation.

- The runner-ups will be presented with the runner-up trophy, and will receive medals upon the presentation.

There are 104 teams in each class as it is set up now. In your format you only account for 64 teams per class.

And if the top 4 teams advance from sectional you'd have 8 teams per regional.

My thought was to have 16 classed sectionals with 6-8 teams. The top two advance to 4 regionals of 8 teams, again with 2 advancing. The final 8 teams per class vie for state at a common site. Teams could be reseeded at each level, but with the representatives from the same sectional or regional separated (so basically you'd seed the top 3).

Benefits are that only 3 mats are needed so smaller schools could host sectional & regional; two teams advance so there's a better chance that the top 2 make it to state, and the whole tourney could be run in one week with sectionals on Tuesday, regionals on Thursday, and state on Saturday.

Of course this is a great proposal.  All of us would love to have it.  But until you can solve this enormous issue, no proposal matters:

There is no weigh-in exemption for being part of a tournament that's not sponsored by the IHSAA. 

So either everyone has to agree to abandon an entire week of their normal schedule (a couple of duals scheduling points and a tournament scheduling point--even though only a few would need all the scheduling points because everyone else would be eliminated), or you have to invite only a few teams year-to-year and have them break contracts for other tournaments in order to participate (that's what we've unfortunately got right now). 

The current format is probably the best it can get.  Pmwrestlingfan you said most states use the dual format but the problem with that is we love our classless individual tournament and most the states you speak of that have dual format also have classed individual tournament which means they can run it like we used to on weekdays during individual tournament, but you can't do that if the teams in the sectional are not in the same class.

Of course this is a great proposal.  All of us would love to have it.  But until you can solve this enormous issue, no proposal matters:

There is no weigh-in exemption for being part of a tournament that's not sponsored by the IHSAA. 

So either everyone has to agree to abandon an entire week of their normal schedule (a couple of duals scheduling points and a tournament scheduling point--even though only a few would need all the scheduling points because everyone else would be eliminated), or you have to invite only a few teams year-to-year and have them break contracts for other tournaments in order to participate (that's what we've unfortunately got right now).

The title in the subject was IHSAA Team State, so I was talking about how I'd like to see the IHSAA run a classed team tourney and wasn't talking about the IHSWCA one.

The title in the subject was IHSAA Team State, so I was talking about how I'd like to see the IHSAA run a classed team tourney and wasn't talking about the IHSWCA one.

Yeah, you and I have talked about this some already. I know you know what's happening. I was trying to respond to the original topic in general for those that maybe don't know what we're up against (hoping for some more creative ideas inside the restrictions we've got right now!)...sorry it came across like I was poo-pooing your idea!  Not at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.