Time to realign FW SS?

BeastMode#31

Would it be in the best interest of the tournament to send some Merrillville SS or New Castle SS schools to FW to even out the talent?

The IHSAA sends the Mooresville Regional to Eville. Maybe they should send Carmel or Zionsville or HSE to FW.

Just a thought after looking through trackwrestling results yesterday.

While I would welcome Penn to be a part of our Semi-State I am hoping that the Northeast will rise again without having to add an external powerhouse. 

Here are my thoughts

Fort Wayne Semi-State took a hit when the SAC was no longer able to produce. There used to be at least a couple State Champs out of that Conference every year.  If not a few contenders.  There are many reasons for this that I will not get into.  I will just say this.  I do not place the blame on coaching.

Side note

With Homestead and hopefully Carroll moving into that conference hopefully it will help strengthen it over time.

Here are my hopes

Within the last 5 years a few things have happened in this area that I feel have the potential to help bring us back. 

Back in my day Manchester had a major role in are area as far as recruiting, camps, and coaches coming from there.  It doesn't seem like Manchester has been producing like it used to.  My coach was a Manchester wrestler and I went to camp there.  So much of what I coach is directly related to that college and coach Jarman in one way or another.  I also personally know a ton of coaches that wrestled there.

In my opinion the landscape is changing quickly.  With Indiana Tech, Trine, and Wabash all starting to focus in on the Northeast Indiana wrestling I believe this will help more local wrestlers continue to wrestle in college and those wrestlers going back to their area and bringing their experience there. (I mention Wabash because Coach Erwin is from Norwell and has a bias for our area.  8) ) Also I know Indiana Tech is doing a great job with some off season training for the local wrestlers.  Wabash is also offering some camps.  Combine that with more RTCs and no school affiliated Wrestling Clubs (IE Blackbelt Wrestling) opening up in the Fort Wayne area and I think we have a good formula brewing.

If you can't tell I am a cup half full kind of guy.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Yorktown would :'(  if you brought Penn and Mishawaka over to the Ft Wayne Semi-State.  They wouldn't get 8 kids through that weak semi-state anymore!

HELL!  Penn would take 12-14 kids to state every year!

where was everyone during the early 80's, when that was the premier ss? Didn't see anyone saying send delta to Merriville or New Castle.

Yorktown would :'(  if you brought Penn and Mishawaka over to the Ft Wayne Semi-State.  They wouldn't get 8 kids through that weak semi-state anymore!

Don't be rude.  It is not like we are the worst every year.  It has just been a while since we were at the top.  Since your comment seems like you're a kid let me enlighten you.  There are always ups and downs with who are the powerhouses and what areas are producing the top kids.  So to run your mouth about Penn and Mishawaka get 12-14 kids to state every year is ridiculous.

Don't be rude.  It is not like we are the worst every year.  It has just been a while since we were at the top.  Since your comment seems like your a kid let me enlighten you.  There are always ups and downs with who are the powerhouses and what areas are producing the top kids.  So to run your mouth about Penn and Mishawaka get 12-14 kids to state every year is ridiculous.

I remember back in my day before the interweb when just having to wrestle someone from Delta put the fear of Khan in you. 

I don't think Mishawaka would have made much of a difference this year

Yorktown would do just fine at any Semi-State. They are very underrated, and have a great team.

While I would welcome Penn to be a part of our Semi-State I am hoping that the Northeast will rise again without having to add an external powerhouse. 

Here are my thoughts

Fort Wayne Semi-State took a hit when the SAC was no longer able to produce. There used to be at least a couple State Champs out of that Conference every year.  If not a few contenders.  There are many reasons for this that I will not get into.  I will just say this.  I do not place the blame on coaching.

Side note

With Homestead and hopefully Carroll moving into that conference hopefully it will help strengthen it over time.

Here are my hopes

Within the last 5 years a few things have happened in this area that I feel have the potential to help bring us back. 

Back in my day Manchester had a major role in are area as far as recruiting, camps, and coaches coming from there.  It doesn't seem like Manchester has been producing like it used to.  My coach was a Manchester wrestler and I went to camp there.  So much of what I coach is directly related to that college and coach Jarman in one way or another.  I also personally know a ton of coaches that wrestled there.

In my opinion the landscape is changing quickly.  With Indiana Tech, Trine, and Wabash all starting to focus in on the Northeast Indiana wrestling I believe this will help more local wrestlers continue to wrestle in college and those wrestlers going back to their area and bringing their experience there. (I mention Wabash because Coach Erwin is from Norwell and has a bias for our area.  8) ) Also I know Indiana Tech is doing a great job with some off season training for the local wrestlers.  Wabash is also offering some camps.  Combine that with more RTCs and no school affiliated Wrestling Clubs (IE Blackbelt Wrestling) opening up in the Fort Wayne area and I think we have a good formula brewing.

If you can't tell I am a cup half full kind of guy.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

I agree with ya look at the way East Noble is coming around between coach Uhl and the help the guy's can now get without having to travel to the region or Cia the aast coaches from Tech are also making a big difference.

I know some others have already said it, but strength really does cycle in and out of certain areas.  Over the last 20 years, when you compile total individual points tallied by all teams from each semi-state at the state finals; you find all 4 semi-states having been at the top multiple years.  The past 6-8 years have been down for Fort Wayne, but only 5 or 6 years ago New Castle was right there with them, significantly below E-ville and M-ville.  Last year New Castle was clearly #1.  M-ville had a very nice run, but has not been the top semi-state the last two years.  E-ville was top in the late 90s, but has usually been 2-4 in the last 10 years. 

If you think it's time to start realigning based on a few years of performance, I would argue with you that we have to keep a bigger picture perspective.

Also consider the size of the schools, the number of students around central Indiana, and the northwestern portion of the state. The majority of schools that go to the New Castle semi-state and Merrillville semi-state have larger student bodies which in itself presents the opportunity and possibility to have more wrestlers. When you have the numbers that those schools have, you have a larger selection of kids who could be successful.

For as many smaller schools that the Fort Wayne Semi-State has, it holds its own fairly well.

Enrollments of the semi-states

1-Merrillville 74 schools 72595 students 981.01 Avg Enrollment

2-Fort Wayne 74 schools 61095 students 825.60 Avg Enrollment

3-New Castle 86 schools 84811 students 986.17  Avg Enrollment

4-Evansville 78 schools 81155 students 1040.44  Avg Enrollment

Thanks for the specific numbers!

Why not at least even out the number of schools.  Move 8 out of New Castle and 4 into Merrillville and 4 into Fort Wayne, and you have even numbers of 78.  Isnt that  a capt obvious moment.  Sounds a little fairer to me.  Especially since Fort Wayne is light.  I bet a few schools would volunteer. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.