growth allowance??

Jesster125

I would almost bet there was a growth allowance between '89 and '93 because we had the growth allowance in 84/85 for sure! Can't really remember before that! We also had a state weigh in day and needed 6 qualifying weights.

I would certainly bet some Saturday state finals intermission beers there was not a weight allowance between those years.  After cutting weight for 4 years of varsity wrestling, trust me...you know exactly what you had to weigh.  Whatever allowance you had in 84-85, it did not carry over to the years I speak of. 

No allowance from 90-94.  That's when wrestlers weren't allowed to grow during the season. 

Also there was a year 96 or 97 when wrestlers didn't have to weigh-in second day of state.  That didnt last long.  The 125pound state champ weighed over 150 after his finals match.  I'm sure the scale was just a bit off?

there was not a growth allowance from 91-94...I wrestled 130, 135, 135 and 140...the only allowance we got was 1 lbs on a two day event....trust me I was over weight my senior year at conference, sectional, regional, semi state and first night of state. Thats back when you could go cut weight after you weighed in the first time...lol

there was not a growth allowance from 91-94...I wrestled 130, 135, 135 and 140...the only allowance we got was 1 lbs on a two day event....trust me I was over weight my senior year at conference, sectional, regional, semi state and first night of state. Thats back when you could go cut weight after you weighed in the first time...lol

Hah.  Oh yeah, I had to cut weight after 1 or 2 initial weigh ins.  I think you got 3. 

Yea I wrestled between 90-94 and my first weigh in my freshman year I was 1lb over with 30 mins to go and I ran scared for 30 mins to cut haha  last time I ever had to do that crap.  But it would figure after i graduated they brought the weight allowance back.....

Into the 1986-87 year we got 2 lbs in January and 1 in Feb. for a total of 3 lbs.

1987-88 year all the weight changes occurred.  Along with the weight changes they also took away the growth allowance.

I am not sure when the growth allowance came back.

I believe the growth allowance came back in 94-95 which was the year weight classes were changed and 215 was added.

In 1996 we reverted back to the previous weight classes and 215 was kept bringing the total to 14.

You are correct; growth allowance came back during 94-95 season.  Trust me the extra two pounds felt like 10 pounds.  An extra pound was also awarded the second day of state weigh-ins.  Weight classes changed that year to 100, 106, 112, 119, 126, 134, 142, 151, 160, 172, 185, 215, & HWT. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.