Record 1st period falls

brizzit

The lateral leads to the over/under on your back. The most imposing pinning combination out there. Even my fat arse can fight off a headlock for 2 minutes, but not the over/under. The over/under lock is so flush it doesn't allow for many people to roll out or fight off. I wrestled behind Lance my freshman year. Watched every match of his senior year with passion.  He went toe to toe with Paul Sullivan (Beech Grove) a few times, but he crushed just about everyone else and mostly 1st period falls. Wish some youngsters got to see that hip torque. It was legendary and damn pretty.

Not to get too far off topic, but he was almost a victim. Friday night he was tossed to his back and won by a point. Them went on to win his forth. I know almost is horse shoes and hand grenades, but it was close. The story I heard is that time ran out as he fought off the fall. It can happen to the greatest at anytime. That's why this sport is the greatest.

Not to get too far off topic, but he was almost a victim. Friday night he was tossed to his back and won by a point. Them went on to win his forth. I know almost is horse shoes and hand grenades, but it was close. The story I heard is that time ran out as he fought off the fall. It can happen to the greatest at anytime. That's why this sport is the greatest.

Yes it can, It happened to Coach Gable anyone can have one off match, BUT he still pulled it off. Lance is one of the greatest for sure.

Lance's closest match was at Tech HS in the Indiana's Finest Dual Meet Tourney 1989: Mater Dei, Beech Grove, LN, Delta, Cathedral, etc. Lance was down the whole match. It was about the 4th time he and Paul Sullivan (Beech Grove) had wrestled. Paul wrestled him perfectly. From without on his feet stalling out neutral and keeping the match in referee's position for the remaining 2 periods. Lance snuck out a reversal (if memory serves) with seconds to go in the match. I think it was 3-1. Someone correct me.

The match you are referring to on Friday night at market Square was the Mater Dei kid. Was it Elderkin? I don't remember it being that close at the end, but he did get taken down. 

Lance's closest match was at Tech HS in the Indiana's Finest Dual Meet Tourney 1989: Mater Dei, Beech Grove, LN, Delta, Cathedral, etc. Lance was down the whole match. It was about the 4th time he and Paul Sullivan (Beech Grove) had wrestled. Paul wrestled him perfectly. From without on his feet stalling out neutral and keeping the match in referee's position for the remaining 2 periods. Lance snuck out a reversal (if memory serves) with seconds to go in the match. I think it was 3-1. Someone correct me.

The match you are referring to on Friday night at market Square was the Mater Dei kid. Was it Elderkin? I don't remember it being that close at the end, but he did get taken down.

Ellis only won 3-2 in the state finals his sophomore year and didn't score an offensive point (2 escapes and a stalling point vs. John Faurote's takedown). That has to be up there for closest as well.

It wasn't Elderkin for sure.  Chip graduated in 86 when Ellis was a Frosh.  In 89 he wrestled David Nosko from MD in the semi's.  Pretty sure Dave was the only one that Ellis didn't pin at state in 89.

I believe back in the 80's tech falls were counted toward that 155 number Lance puts up. 155 "Falls" was a national record at one point. Still OMG! 155 out of 177. Ridiculous

Don't recall a  tech fall in the early 80's, no mercy.  :).  Not sure when TF was started.

Ellis only won 3-2 in the state finals his sophomore year and didn't score an offensive point (2 escapes and a stalling point vs. John Faurote's takedown). That has to be up there for closest as well.

I've been corrected on this. Ellis had a reversal and Faurote did not have a takedown.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.