Greatest Ticket Round Upsets

ENoblewrestling

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with Dwilly on the Ester match.  It heard that Wilson had the flu that week.  Ester held him down for the win.  Wilson was never to been seen again.  There are rumors that he still roams Fort Wayne only to be seen on Semi-State weekend with a hoody over his head jogging to cut weight.

I was in 8th grade then and I remember it like it was yesterday.  I thought Wilson was untouchable that year.  Then the rumors started that he was horribly sick.  Then Ester wrestled unbelievably.  And it all came together.

It was only 2 years ago but is still one of mine and my sons  favorites Sam Lovejoy his freshman year coming from behind and pinning Frane from dekalb who I believe was 39 and 1

That's funny because I thought that match sucked.  :)

Friday Night -- early 2000 maybe 03 or 04'

HWT -- NW junior John Sandberg a 4 seed over senior number 1 seed from beech grove with a late fall! I forget the kids name but if I remember right he was projected to win and was ranked #1

Simply ran out of gas and with John down by more than 3 in the last minute of the 3rd put in double hooks and launched that big boy! Conseco went nuts!! Something ill never forget  ;D

John finished his junior season taking 4th

It was only 2 years ago but is still one of mine and my sons  favorites Sam Lovejoy his freshman year coming from behind and pinning Frane from dekalb who I believe was 39 and 1

As it is one of mine!!!  Unranked freshman pinning a solid Bellmont senior in the second then faced #4 ranked senior Matt Frane tying up the match at 3-3 before pinning him.

As it is one of mine!!!  Unranked freshman pinning a solid Bellmont senior in the second then faced #4 ranked senior Matt Frane tying up the match at 3-3 before pinning him.

Mr. Lovejoy,

As I remember the match.  (I remember it well) Frane was up by 2 with 30 to 40 seconds left and your kid being the tough aggressive wrestler he is did not lay off the gas and Frane did.  Frane then got caught in a headlock and was pinned.  Frane never came off his back so there was no 2 awarded.  If there was your son would have won 7 to 3.  But it was not tied at the time.

HWT -- NW junior John Sandberg a 4 seed over senior number 1 seed from beech grove with a late fall! I forget the kids name but if I remember right he was projected to win and was ranked #1

Simply ran out of gas and with John down by more than 3 in the last minute of the 3rd put in double hooks and launched that big boy! Conseco went nuts!! Something ill never forget  ;D

Joey Wright

Didn't know there were ticket round matches on Friday night.

Mr. Lovejoy,

As I remember the match.  (I remember it well) Frane was up by 2 with 30 to 40 seconds left and your kid being the tough aggressive wrestler he is did not lay off the gas and Frane did.  Frane then got caught in a headlock and was pinned.  Frane never came off his back so there was no 2 awarded.  If there was your son would have won 7 to 3.  But it was not tied at the time.

Coach,

I think you are wrong there.  To Matt's credit he never backed off.  Matt might have won that if he had.  #3 ranked Phillips from Yorktown learned that lesson and managed a 5-3 win over Sam by knowing when to back off and force Sam to act.  As I remember LJ Mosier also lost in the third place round by also not backing off.

Matt got a takedown in the first, then followed it up with and escape in the second.  Sam then got a third period escape.  I can check but I think Frane took the shot, Sam caught him and in the scramble got a headlock and put him on his back.  I remember the takedown being awarded to tie it up but that matters little.  (In the background the clock showed 3-3 with :29.)  If he did not get the pin he would have won at that point on the takedown to tie and back points 5-3 or 6-3 depending on backpoints.

I did not bring up the match, Bruin2013 did but it is still one of the biggest upsets that I have seen in my years of watching the sport.

At the same time I was excited with Sam's win and devastated to see a senior end his season one win short of State.  We watched too many times as Sam's oldest brother Josh fell short in the ticket round three times, including HIS senior year.  Matt deserved his shot but hit a young kid wrestling the match of his life.

Coach,

I think you are wrong there.  To Matt's credit he never backed off.  Matt might have won that if he had.  #3 ranked Phillips from Yorktown learned that lesson and managed a 5-3 win over Sam by knowing when to back off and force Sam to act.  As I remember LJ Mosier also lost in the third place round by also not backing off.

Matt got a takedown in the first, then followed it up with and escape in the second.  Sam then got a third period escape.  I can check but I think Frane took the shot, Sam caught him and in the scramble got a headlock and put him on his back.  I remember the takedown being awarded to tie it up but that matters little.  (In the background the clock showed 3-3 with :29.)  If he did not get the pin he would have won at that point on the takedown to tie and back points 5-3 or 6-3 depending on backpoints.

I did not bring up the match, Bruin2013 did but it is still one of the biggest upsets that I have seen in my years of watching the sport.

At the same time I was excited with Sam's win and devastated to see a senior end his season one win short of State.  We watched too many times as Sam's oldest brother Josh fell short in the ticket round three times, including HIS senior year.  Matt deserved his shot but hit a young kid wrestling the match of his life.

Fair enough.  Good luck this weekend.

Didn't know there were ticket round matches on Friday night.

As the Mayer of jimtown already posted.... Every match Friday night is a ticket round match! Doesn't matter if your a 1,2,3 or 4 seed! Your all wrestling in the hopes of punching your ticket to Saturday and making the podium

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.