Greatest Ticket Round Upsets

ENoblewrestling

Just curious as to what you guys view as being the biggest upsets ever in the opening round or ticket round? Upsets happen every year to some extent or another, what are some of the bigger ones you remember?

Just off the top of my head I would put Carter Delaney from Bishop Dwenger beating Josh Ehr from South Adams.  Both were quality wrestlers, but I remember watching Ehr that year and thinking he would be a for sure placer that year.  Im sure there are plenty of others from over the years though...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1992 Mike Ester(Fort Wayne Snider) beat Aaron Wilson (Warsaw) in the ticket round.  Not that big of an upset seeing that both were quality wrestlers & previous state placers, but Wilson was 44-0 I believe I a previous state runner-up.  I believe Ester lost in Regional final to Tony Elkins(Ft Wayne Northside) to make this ticket round match happen.  There are so many of these ticket round matchups though.  This is 1 of a 100 I bet if we looked throughout tourney history.  Dan Jankowski was a defending state champ from Mater Dai, and was beat in the ticket round by Rosbottom (Jeffersonville) in the late 90's I believe.

In 1992 Mike Ester(Fort Wayne Snider) beat Aaron Wilson (Warsaw) in the ticket round.  Not that big of an upset seeing that both were quality wrestlers & previous state placers, but Wilson was 44-0 I believe I a previous state runner-up.  I believe Ester lost in Regional final to Tony Elkins(Ft Wayne Northside) to make this ticket round match happen.  There are so many of these ticket round matchups though.  This is 1 of a 100 I bet if we looked throughout tourney history.  Dan Jankowski was a defending state champ from Mater Dai, and was beat in the ticket round by Rosbottom (Jeffersonville) in the late 90's I believe.

I am with Dwilly on the Ester match.  It heard that Wilson had the flu that week.  Ester held him down for the win.  Wilson was never to been seen again.  There are rumors that he still roams Fort Wayne only to be seen on Semi-State weekend with a hoody over his head jogging to cut weight.

I am with Dwilly on the Ester match.  It heard that Wilson had the flu that week.  Ester held him down for the win.  Wilson was never to been seen again.  There are rumors that he still roams Fort Wayne only to be seen on Semi-State weekend with a hoody over his head jogging to cut weight.

Didnt cam walters have to beat two returning placers and nhc wrestlers in 06?

Best one I've ever seen at Merrillville was Birch of Frankfort and a kid from Portage (can't remember his name).  Think it was at 112 or 119.  Great match.

Birge was the defending champ at 112 and lost to Bradbury from Portage in the ticket round at 119.  Bradbury was put in that position because he was beat by Ramos who he lost to about 6 times that year. Bradbury had Ramos beat one of the final times and then got thrown to his back and pinned at the end of the match. Great rivalry. 

Best one I've ever seen at Merrillville was Birch of Frankfort and a kid from Portage (can't remember his name).  Think it was at 112 or 119.  Great match.

It was Birge and Bradbury in 1999. Not sure I would call it an upset though, Bradbury was no slouch himself (NAIA national champ?).  Match was a result of Bradbury losing the week before to Ramos. In fact, they matched up with each other every week from the DAC conference tourney all the way to the state final match.  Bradbury was up early in that finals match before Ramos head stacked and stuck him.  One of many great memories from the finals.  Last finals in Market Square.  Damn, I'm getting old.

What's funny is I had just won my ticket round match a mat over & started to celebrate to my self when I noticed the match next to me had all the attention.  I was thinking. "well it's time to get ready for Aaron Wilson"...nope...change of plans.  The Ft Wayne Coliseum went nuts. Aaron Wilson was a HUGE 119 lber.  Like I said though, it's not like Ester wasn't expected to compete. He was really good as well.

Mitch Todd, Pendleton over Keith Garrard, New Castle in 03. Garrard was a returning Place winner, ranked 4th, and undefeated. I remember finding out after Id gotten there from Drill. Garrard told me hed lost, and I thought he was joking. Todd went on to tin the Semi State, and then lose first round to Stephen Mosier from Yorktown on Friday

Did that one end up with punches thrown? If I remember right the referee stepped in right before one connected.

Punches thrown, trashing the barricades on his way out and then an immediate police response to the tunnel.  It was sad to see because it took the attention away from Kendall's win, but that kid was dominant all day.

It was Birge and Bradbury in 1999. Not sure I would call it an upset though, Bradbury was no slouch himself (NAIA national champ?).  Match was a result of Bradbury losing the week before to Ramos. In fact, they matched up with each other every week from the DAC conference tourney all the way to the state final match.  Bradbury was up early in that finals match before Ramos head stacked and stuck him.  One of many great memories from the finals.  Last finals in Market Square.  Damn, I'm getting old.

Great rivalary..The 2 became great friends as well. Andrew had like 6 losses to Ramos much the same as Ramos having 8 career losses 5 coming to Leroy Vega when Ramos was a Froshman and Vega a Senior..and Ramos was in a ticket round upset his freshman year as he was domination Sr. Britton from Penn and got drilled with a desperation headlock with under 20 seconds left in 3rd..Ramos scrambled for a reversal and an apparent win but after discussion was waived off and lost by a point..otherwise Ramos is likely a 4 time place winner..draw depending certainly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.