New idea. Tell me your thoughts

rey mysterio

Okay considering we want the best if the best wrestlers to go to state which is what we strive for I believe. It happens all the time and gets brought up all the time about how two great kids draw into each other at semi state in either the first round or ticket round. A prime example of this is the knapp vs miller match everyone is mad about. One of those kids will not get to go to state and that sucks because I bet they could beat at least one of the kids who will get to go in the weight class. Some say it should remain because this is just the way it is it's part of the sport. But I say this that I would agree with doin wrestle backs to get the true top four kids from each weight class. But I've heard we cannot because it would just take too much time and cost more money but I have a different idea that may or may not have been brought up before, I'm not sure. But for making sure we get the best at Semi state let me know if this would work or if it would just end in the same result. Why not have something like a "semi" semi state or call it something else idk. You have just two Reginald face each other then the other two regionals face each other and get the top four from each of those and then have the semi state with those 8 wrestlers then advance the too four. Idk I feel like that would make sure the best go to semi state , but then again not as many wrestlers would have a shot at going to star. Idk just a thought. But my biggest thought is for at semi state why not seed the top 8 wrestlers ? Shouldn't how you do in the season pay off? It does in basketball it does in baseball and the nfl. Just because a wrestler  won their regional doesn't mean they should get a better draw technically because what if their regional is jut bad and you have 4 really good guys in another regional who could beat that regional champ? But the other kids who didn't win regional end up having to face each other ticket round match like miller and knapp. Kind of sucks. You often don't get the best wrestlers goin to state. So why not seed at semi state? Someone give me a decent reason why not. Because I think how you do in the season should count. I think once you get to semi state they should look at your record , your quality wins , who you loss to, who beat who head to head , etc. you then get the best of the best seeded and the best wrestlers are spread out not meeting in the second round. Idk I think it'd work I think it's fair and a good idea. What do y'all think I want opinions for real maybe I'm being stupid about it idk. Maybe it wouldn't work let me know thanks

Ok, I am sure the annual wrestleback topic will be posted soon.  Maybe here is a way to get it going disguised as a different topic.

What if we:

Kept Sectionals the same, 32 Sectionals.

Change Regionals to a 16 team format, combine two Regionals together.  Run a similar bracket as you do in Sectionals, lose  first round and your out. However, first round is paried as we currently do with each Regional, wrestleback to 3rd place, Top 4 go to Semi-State.

Semi-State now becomes an 8 man bracket with full wrestlebacks to 3rd Place.

State can remain the same or we can tweak that as well, but in my opinion would require more mats down on the floor and wrestling through breaks on Saturday.

Tell me what everyone thinks. I have not had a chance to really work out the logistics, just throwing an idea out there to see what thoughts would be on this format.  I feel this format gives us a better way than our current format to get the top 16 at state even with bad draws at the Semi-State level.

Posted this a few weeks ago and did not generate much discussion.

Posted this a few weeks ago and did not generate much discussion.

i hadn't seen this but ya I thought it could work I feel like something could be done to perfect the tournament more but maybe it's the best we can do ya know. It has been this format for well a long time to say the least. So idk I was just trying to see what others thought just like you

Simple seeding at each level would make a huge impact. There are several semi-state brackets that have maybe 2 state level wrestlers while others have 6.  Even if you do all you can do and come out a 1 from regionals, you can easily hit a 2 that happens to be the 2nd best in the state that had the #1 at regionals.  It is the luck of the draw and doesn't get the top 8 in the state. 

There is one particular bracket I saw (and likely more) that has two top 5 ranked kids meeting in ticket round because one of them had the #1 guy at regionals.  So one of them go home while two other guys that they would beat move on.  It is just not right.

There's my rant on that.

It happens every year, one or two top wrestlers meet up in the right to go round. One advances, the other ends up at the NC fallen to bad luck draw landfill. In that landfill you will find several bad draw old wrestlers just hanging out.

IMO If the ihsaa would just sign Trackwrestling to a contract to track and takecare of the whole hs season, everybody would be happy. Ihsaa could forget aboutwrestling and concentrate on basketball ∧ we would get day by day updates on rankings and make seeding meeting a thing of the past. THEY'VE GOT AN APP FOR THAT. Wouldnt it be grand if you can open tw and watch your kids ranking through out the whole state  on a day by day bases. After the sectionals eveything should be double elimination wrestling back to a true second or you let tw reset the field. THEY'VE GOT AN APP FOR THAT.

How often has a top 4 kid been knocked out of the tournament due to this? Not that I am against wrestle backs, but our sport gets way more worked up about this than others. It's one and done in many IHSAA sports...baseball, football, etc... If you are a Marion county team in football, you might be the 4th best team in the state, and you can't even get past round 1 of your sectional. I'm not sure about individual sports like tennis, cross country, track, and swimming. Maybe they have something similar to a wrestle back.

I guess it's unfortunate for the individual, but otherwise, we might be turning semi state into the regional, which is a real yawner in most cases.

I always thought some of the best matches of the season were the 3rd place matches in the old regional format.

This happened to Forrest last year , All my family and friends from PA. could not believe that those 2 (phillips ) wrestled in the ticket round both were in the finals the previous year. Forrest actually beat the eventual state champ 4-3 in the pre-season open at Garret.  The one  thing that kept the fire burning hotter then ever is that he had one more year. I personally think the way Indiana does Semi State  not having  true wrestle backs is terrible, but I am from PA so I grew up where we had wrestle backs.  What other State does not wrestle back other then Indiana? I feel horrible for one of the boys Connor or Sawyer Both would have placed high in the State but one will go home. Good luck to ALL.

This happened to Forrest last year , All my family and friends from PA. could not believe that those 2 (phillips ) wrestled in the ticket round both were in the finals the previous year. Forrest actually beat the eventual state champ 4-3 in the pre-season open at Garret.  The one  thing that kept the fire burning hotter then ever is that he had one more year. I personally think the way Indiana does Semi State  not having  true wrestle backs is terrible, but I am from PA so I grew up where we had wrestle backs.  What other State does not wrestle back other then Indiana? I feel horrible for one of the boys Connor or Sawyer Both would have placed high in the State but one will go home. Good luck to ALL.

Dangski,

Im not from Indiana either, but this is what I figured out about Indiana.

Indiana wrestling fan thinking:  Wrestlebacks are are stupid and waste of a time.  If you lose you deserve to be out.  The only placement thats relevant is first place.  If you get a bad draw, thats a good learning experience for the rest of your life.

Every other state thinking:  Every wrestling tournament I've been to has cross bracketing or wrestle backs.  You're telling me that there's other places that don't have wrestle backs.  What the heck, then the best guys always don't advance.  How do you get true placing?

Dangski,

Im not from Indiana either, but this is what I figured out about Indiana.

Indiana wrestling fan thinking:  Wrestlebacks are are stupid and waste of a time.  If you lose you deserve to be out.  The only placement thats relevant is first place.  If you get a bad draw, thats a good learning experience for the rest of your life.

Every other state thinking:  Every wrestling tournament I've been to has cross bracketing or wrestle backs.  You're telling me that there's other places that don't have wrestle backs.  What the heck, then the best guys always don't advance.  How do you get true placing?

That isn't the wrestling fan's way of thinking, that is the IHSAA thinking

That isn't the wrestling fan's way of thinking, that is the IHSAA thinking

Definitely an over exaggerated generalization on my part, but trying to make a point.    But you're corrrect that is IHSAA thinking and a percentage of wrestling fans also think this way.

Definitely an over exaggerated generalization on my part, but trying to make a point.    But you're corrrect that is IHSAA thinking and a percentage of wrestling fans also think this way.

Everyone here wants wrestle-backs. I can't tell you how many times the IHSWCA has brought it up to the IHSAA. Fans, coaches, and athletes all want wrestle-backs. That is one thing that we usually all can agree on.

Everyone here wants wrestle-backs. I can't tell you how many times the IHSWCA has brought it up to the IHSAA. Fans, coaches, and athletes all want wrestle-backs. That is one thing that we usually all can agree on.

so what is holding the IHSAA back from allowing wrestle backs? I know it takes longer, and if it becomes a two day tournament like the Mishawaka tournament the cost of the extra day should be covered by selling two day tickets and then separate one day tickets. I don't get why they wouldn't and won't do it? Not to mention the longer the tourney the more revenue on snacks, good, pop, shirts, etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.