Evansville Semi State

navy80

Franklin's 126 went out like a champ...after he was tech falled by Nick Lee.  He shook both refs hand, held his head high.

I did see the headgear fly the air and almost hit a coach on another mat.  Not sure what happened with the bit finger, or if the Madison kid was flexing directly at the Castle coaches or behind them at someone in the crowd. 

I seen several kids shake the refs hands which is something I haven't really seen. Overall, I thought the sportsmanship was great.

I seen the flexing on the mat by the Madison wrestler...disrepectful to all involved and the bite well it speaks for itself!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part the majority of wrestlers showed honor and dignity in victory and defeat, however no disrespect to the Madison wrestling staff, but i did see a couple of madison wrestlers show no honor. At 132 dempler/Williams from Madison threw his headgear in the air when he was still on the mat. Looks like it about hit the opposing coach.  Another observation was at 160 between Kemper/Partee match when he looked as if after the win Partee flexed towards Castle coaches and then the biting leading to a DQ. Geesh kids grow up and don't embarrass your coaches, parents, teammates and yourself.

Why would Partee flex toward the Castle coaches????

It did seem Partee's celebrations were torwards the Central coaches. Over all, there wasn't much too complain about yesterday.

I can promise you, his celebrations were not at any opposing coach or athlete...he is a great kid, please dont confuse a flex and celebration with bad sportsmanship.  The other incident did not almost hit the opposing coach, he through his head gear back to our corner (which I dont condone) and it almost hit the coach, coaching on the mat next to us.  Bad decision, yes, at the opponent, no. I will ask again that you make sure you understand the whole story before you believe everything you read in these posts.  Thanks

i couldnt imagine Jordan taunting opposing coaches. of course he is excited and celebratory but Partee isnt going to be disrespectful.

Partee had just won a very competitive match against a great wrestler. I saw his celebration and found none of it offensive or disrespectful against Castle (I am baffled at this accusation) or anyone in the building for that matter. The kids excited and showed emotion...what would you prefer him to be like C-3PO?  I didn't see the headgear thrown but it seems as though it was handled by the coaches. For the amount of emotion, energy and testosterone in the building I can safely say one throw headgear and a Mike Tyson reenactment (to a finger) was pretty darn good. The coaches were  absolutely the best in the state with their behavior but that could also be because the officiating was top notch as well. It was the best Semi State I have seen in 10 years.

106:  Weaver and Dilbeck had a great match!  Weaver battled it out only to lose to a headlock in the ticket round!  Noah Franklin and Mason Kaufer??  About 1% of people expected them to make it to state!!!  Konrath look tough!  Hoping Egli doesn't get paired up with Coltin Cummings Friday night!

113:  DJ SMITH looked like a beast!  Jacob Skaggs?  The kid wrestled lights out yesterday!  Pritchet from Ben Davis comes in as a 4th place regional finisher and punches his ticket!!

120: Stacked weight!!  Lahue battled his way to the finals!  He beat Brown of Castle 8-4 in the ticket round.  Then beat a game Schermer 2-1.  Hudkins looked good in the finals beating Lahue 4-1.  Really the top 4 plus Brown could have a chance of placing at state. 

126:  Bethel  had an amazing run to punching his ticket.  Beating Boles and Schitter.  Molloy and Young had a great ticket round match.  Deleon's record is deceiving.  Harris did what was expected of him.

132:  Davis with two dominate wins to start the day over two solid opponents.  Anderson over Todrank by fall.  Not sure what happened. Broukal isn't fancy but he always does enough to win. 

138:  Fleener wrestled quality opponents al 4 matches yesterday.  He looked good.  Herrin impressed me...Auberry impressed me.  Lykins is tough. 

145:  Karges battled his way through 3 tough opponents to get to the finals.  Ruddick impressed me.  Schober looked good all day.  I really didn't think he was going to win, but he surprised me.  I felt bad for Pierre getting 4th.  Hoping he gets a good draw.

152:  I didn't have Damler winning his first match!!  He ends up getting second.  WOW. Sad to see Pheonix Adams lose in the ticket round for the third straight year.

160:  Partee is a great defensive wrestler.  He has improved since his freshman year.  Koontz looked good yesterday.  Forzely had two tough wins over Franklin and Helm.  Wilson and Mcdaniels had a great match first round.

170:  Rickenbaugh is going to be a bad matchup for a # on Friday night.  Kempf was beating Lydy handily before the DQ.  Stevenson wrestled tough all day.  Fisher was a surprising 2nd place....I'd like to know who his 8 losses are to.  He looked good.

182:  Petrole has Konerdings number..Chambers is a beast....enough said...

195:  Thacker got pinned!  Bracket buster for a lot of people!  Sandlin with an impressive 4 falls to his first semi state championship! 

220:  Larsen from avon FRESHMAN places third and advances to state.  Kid is built for a frosh.  Kyles loses in the ticket round for the second year in a row.  Bur he is only a sophomore so expect to see more of him at the ford center!  Schoolcraft is like 7ft!!  Kid had a good run yesterday.  Wilder from Ben Davis makes it the second Ben Davis kid to finish 4th in the regional and then punch his ticket to state. Cory Clem impressed me yesterday. 

285:  Wow.  Got to be the deepest weight.  GJL and Schwoeppe had a fantastic match!  Lots of good wrestlers coming back at hwt for eville next year.  Dosset Tecumseh 33-13, Biddle Plainfield 21-7, Mount Scottsburg 33-2, Hayes Greesnburg 29-7, Oglesby Ben Davis 40-1, Miles Paoli 13-4  all semi state qualifiers.  The most hwt's ive seen coming back in a long time. 

Great day of wrestling by everyone.  I just woke up out of my wrestling induced coma and heard about this post. 

First at 132lbs our kid has on numerous occasions throughout the year thrown his head gear to us in corner.  I zigged when I should zagged and bent over to grab a water bottle and it landed at feet of Northview Coach who was right behind me.  I apologize for this if it offended anyone.

at 160lbs the "flex" is something he has done since his freshman year,  Its actually a funny story because his father is big into weighlifting and Jordan is not and I always am talking to him about improving his strength so he would flex at us and the fans to show he is strong haha  I actually have a pic from Cadet State of him jokingly doing the same thing when we are back at our seat with his medal.  Once again I apologize to anyone who thought that was directed at anyone other than our fans and coaches after a big win over a tough wrestler.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend at State and I hope our Evansville Semi-State can really shine through at State and get some high placers.

Great day of wrestling by everyone.  I just woke up out of my wrestling induced coma and heard about this post. 

First at 132lbs our kid has on numerous occasions throughout the year thrown his head gear to us in corner.  I zigged when I should zagged and bent over to grab a water bottle and it landed at feet of Northview Coach who was right behind me.  I apologize for this if it offended anyone.

at 160lbs the "flex" is something he has done since his freshman year,  Its actually a funny story because his father is big into weighlifting and Jordan is not and I always am talking to him about improving his strength so he would flex at us and the fans to show he is strong haha  I actually have a pic from Cadet State of him jokingly doing the same thing when we are back at our seat with his medal.  Once again I apologize to anyone who thought that was directed at anyone other than our fans and coaches after a big win over a tough wrestler.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend at State and I hope our Evansville Semi-State can really shine through at State and get some high placers.

Dempler head gear throw = Happy Gilmore putter throw to the caddy

220:  Larsen from avon FRESHMAN places third and advances to state.  Kid is built for a frosh.  Kyles loses in the ticket round for the second year in a row.  Bur he is only a sophomore so expect to see more of him at the ford center!  Schoolcraft is like 7ft!!  Kid had a good run yesterday.  Wilder from Ben Davis makes it the second Ben Davis kid to finish 4th in the regional and then punch his ticket to state. Cory Clem impressed me yesterday. 

Ben is 6'4" and weighs about 205.  He eats enough to be over 285.

Did anyone else notice that the four 220 pounders to advance from Evansville were all from the Mooresville regional?  How often does that happen?

I would like to give a shoutout to all of the coaches at Madison for what they have done this year. When I was in high school Madison always had maybe 1 or 2 good wrestlers a year, but not very strong as a team. The coaches there now have really turned the program around, and their whole team is strong. Can't wait to see how good they will be in a couple years with a full team! Personally really happy to see Coach Olds making an impact and having success. Learned so much for him and continue wishing him the best! Congrats Madison!

Did anyone else notice that the four 220 pounders to advance from Evansville were all from the Mooresville regional?  How often does that happen?

Welch, Wedding, VanHook, Pierre at 119 from the Castle Regional in 2011

I would like to give a shoutout to all of the coaches at Madison for what they have done this year. When I was in high school Madison always had maybe 1 or 2 good wrestlers a year, but not very strong as a team. The coaches there now have really turned the program around, and their whole team is strong. Can't wait to see how good they will be in a couple years with a full team! Personally really happy to see Coach Olds making an impact and having success. Learned so much for him and continue wishing him the best! Congrats Madison!

Thanks for the kind words this is my fourth year at Madison and 3rd year we have had our complete staff together.  Our two State Qualifiers are my first class I have graduated and this is a special group to me.

Coach Ty Olds is a tremendous technician, Coach Dustin Bentz is great on really understanding kids and connecting to them and motivating them, Coach Phillip Wimpee is one of the great young minds in southern indiana and will be a outstanding Head Coach someday.  I am blessed to have these coaches on staff.

Did the announcer say Ben went to state in pole vaulting?

Another kid placed 25th in the country in archery!  I though that was pretty cool. 

Yes I realized that...What a tough group from the Mooresville regional at 220!

Another kid placed 25th in the country in archery!  I though that was pretty cool. 

Some really athletic competitors in the field over the past few years.  Glad to see our wrestlers representing us in all walks of life. 

Really interesting that all four 220 pounders came from Mooresville, guess that just shows their dominance at that weight!

No, he was the anchor on the 2013 Spell Bowl State Championship team from Martinsville.

My daughter (older than Ben) was on several Academic Decathlon and Spell Bowl state champ teams and talked Ben into trying it last fall.  Since his back injury prevented him from playing football, he did it.

Thank you so much...Seeing the success of the young men past and present is why I do what I do man.  Our team, parents and coaching staff are all hungry for success.  Hopefully we will continue to build on the positives of this season and they will become not only champions on the mat, but off the mat as well. Its awesome that the kids are getting attention and recognized for the time they are putting in....Again thank you for supporting me and the team!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.