Class wrestling in FL

base

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe I lived in Ohio 5 years and my older son wrested high school there, and I worked with a lot of the kids.  Of course none of the kids said they were a slacker for anything.  I dont remember people talking about class wrestling as they're comfortable with their system.    Most of them would argue till blue in their face that they have the best wrestling state and the best wrestling system.    They had a lot of tangible evidence  to back it up, but I might  give PA the #1.  I guess the point is, its fair to say Ohio is a step ahead of Indiana, and they have class wrestling.  Maybe there is no cause and affect as to why they're doing so well and that they have class wrestling.  But its not hurting their wrestling product either.

How about this...

In 1971 Ohio instituted class wrestling. From 1928 until 1960 there were 13 All-Americans from Ohio at the DI level.  From 1960-2011 there have been 313. I am not too naive to say that it is all because of class wrestling, but wonder what impact classing the sport had on the state.  In that same time span Indiana had 27 All-Americans through 1960 and 44 since 1961.

How about this...

In 1971 Ohio instituted class wrestling. From 1928 until 1960 there were 13 All-Americans from Ohio at the DI level.  From 1960-2011 there have been 313. I am not too naive to say that it is all because of class wrestling, but wonder what impact classing the sport had on the state.  In that same time span Indiana had 27 All-Americans through 1960 and 44 since 1961.

Thats very interesting.  You're right that their could be many factors that contributes to Ohio's success,  but the classing of wrestling maybe one of the factors.  I love your research.  Where do you get this info?

I don't normally comment on controversial issues but I feel like this topic deserves some attention. I understand that a true competitor wants to be THE state champ. That's an admirable quality. However, we have a responsibility to do what is best for the sport.

As a coach at the youth level, it is a challenge to generate interest in this sport in a town that is dominated by basketball. It has become a little easier recently I think partially because we have had a few wrestlers at our high school have some success. It is much easier to recruit kids to wrestle when they know people at their school that are semi state or state qualifiers. Kids get excited about that which helps generate interest which helps produce more wrestlers. Say what you want but the more participants you have, the more talent you will have.

I must say that I'm not talking about participation trophies here, but I ultimately believe that a class system will help generate interest. If you think that isn't important, last year's Olympic situation should be a wake up call. We must look at ways to get more kids wrestling. This will ultimately make Indiana wrestling better. Just my opinion.

From a fan of HS Wresling's perspective, I would like to see one class to crown the best in the state as a state champion and see the very best match ups possible.

From a fan of College Wrestling's perspective, I would like to see classed HS wrestling to allow our state's individual wrestlers to seem more accomplished on paper and therefor more easily recruitable. To most recruiters a 1x state qualifier, 1x state placer, 2x state champ sounds a lot better than a 3x state qualifier, 1x State placer.

In Conclusion, class wrestling in Indiana would dramatically improve the number of kids wrestling in college. With a scholarship more readily attainable more kids would want to be involved in the sport. Class wrestling is better for the kids and the sport. Quality of the state tournament for the fans be damned.

From a fan of HS Wresling's perspective, I would like to see one class to crown the best in the state as a state champion and see the very best match ups possible.

From a fan of College Wrestling's perspective, I would like to see classed HS wrestling to allow our state's individual wrestlers to seem more accomplished on paper and therefor more easily recruitable. To most recruiters a 1x state qualifier, 1x state placer, 2x state champ sounds a lot better than a 3x state qualifier, 1x State placer.

In Conclusion, class wrestling in Indiana would dramatically improve the number of kids wrestling in college. With a scholarship more readily attainable more kids would want to be involved in the sport. Class wrestling is better for the kids and the sport. Quality of the state tournament for the fans be damned.

I am glad one person from Hobart is halfway smart!

This is the best, concise argument that I have seen for class wrestling yet.  You've got me on the fence now.

EXACTLY!

This right here.  Great post. 

Classing the individual state championships would be horrible and would destroy the sport in Indiana - the fact that Indiana is one class is one of the advantages our state has over others. Wrestling is an individual sport between two men who weigh the same - it is one on one.  Let's not ruin the sport in Indiana because some smaller programs aren't as good at producing great wrestlers. Mater Dei has always been a small school and they dominate the state. This talk of classing the individual finals is truly disturbing and I would guess is motivated by a few coaches' selfish ***NO NO NO***ions.

Classing the individual state championships would be horrible and would destroy the sport in Indiana - the fact that Indiana is one class is one of the advantages our state has over others. Wrestling is an individual sport between two men who weigh the same - it is one on one.  Let's not ruin the sport in Indiana because some smaller programs aren't as good at producing great wrestlers. Mater Dei has always been a small school and they dominate the state. This talk of classing the individual finals is truly disturbing and I would guess is motivated by a few coaches' selfish ***NO NO NO***ions.

Fabio is right.  There's two legitimate sides to the argument.    And if the only thing you have is the success of Mater Dei to support your statement is weak.  Mater Dei's success is an outlier compared to the rest of the small schools, and it also has the private school advantage.  I bet there's 25 small school programs  in the state that are struggling to generate enought interest so they don't shut it down next year.  Just because something has always been that way, doesn't mean its the best way.  41 states have class wrestling and it didnt ruin wrestling in their states.

A couple notes on New Jersey's wrestling.

They have classed team state and one class individual state.

I once asked someone from New Jersey if they see a lot of disparity between big schools and small there in terms of wrestling state finalists. Surprisingly they said there is very little disparity between those schools. Thus it prompted me to research why this is. When looking at the school sizes with wrestling I noticed very few really small schools and very few mega schools like in Indiana. They had an average school size of 891 students with a standard deviation of 490.  That means most schools are within the 400-1380 range.  While Indiana has an average school size of 966 and a standard deviation of 747.  That translates to having most schools in the 219-1714 range.

That means their ranges for their class tournament are not as widespread as they are in Indiana. Just some food for thought.

Hanover central small school beats alot of big schools and Mr. petroff has had a wrestler or state champion the passed like 12 years now enough said Y2

Actually Coach Petrov has had kids in the state finals in 2013, 2012(2), 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005.

Not quite 12 by my count. Let's not let facts get in the way of your argument though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.