Purdue / Ohio State Monday February 3rd

johnnyh

Post Super Bowl blues?  Come catch the Boilers host the Buckeyes tomorrow night in West Lafayette.  Purdue will be represented by 8 former Indiana stalwarts.  We need Ohio to see how we support our teams and athletes. 

The Boilermakers actually have a pretty good shot at winning this dual.  Ohio State seems to be wrestling on cruise control recently, and their overall conditioning has been suspect.  If Purdue can be aggressive and force the action, I think they have a great shot at winning.

Purdue wins: 125, 157, 165

Ohio State wins: 133 (though Cashe could keep this interesting), 141, 184, 285

Key matches: 149, 174, 197

The Boilermakers actually have a pretty good shot at winning this dual.  Ohio State seems to be wrestling on cruise control recently, and their overall conditioning has been suspect.  If Purdue can be aggressive and force the action, I think they have a great shot at winning.

Purdue wins: 125, 157, 165

Ohio State wins: 133 (though Cashe could keep this interesting), 141, 184, 285

Key matches: 149, 174, 197

I might put 125 in the key match category.    I'll favor OSU on this one, but if Purdue is going to beat the Buckeyes this is one of their best chances they've had in a long time.

Tom Ryan can not be happy with this performance so far.

But, this is how Ohio State has wrestled all year.  Conditioning is lacking.  Aggressiveness is lacking. With the athletes that Ohio State has on this team, they could be so much more.  It will be interesting to see what happens next year with all of the studs (recruits and redshirts) that will be eligible.  But, if conditioning doesn't improve, they will crash and burn next year as well.

No way Cashe should have beaten DiJulius at this point in the season.  Great effort!  The key match was at 174.  Kissel losing to Martin really turned the momentum to Ohio State.  Kissel should have won.  He'll have another opportunity at the Big Tens.

Good match by the Boilers.  Better times are coming.

But, this is how Ohio State has wrestled all year.  Conditioning is lacking.  Aggressiveness is lacking. With the athletes that Ohio State has on this team, they could be so much more.  It will be interesting to see what happens next year with all of the studs (recruits and redshirts) that will be eligible.  But, if conditioning doesn't improve, they will crash and burn next year as well.

How was 174 the key match? Yes it was what turned the dual, but I would say 197 was the key match. A good one too. You can talk about how Ohio State's conditioning was lacked, but that comeback was awesome. Shows how bad Heflin wanted it. My money is Ohio State wins the whole thing next year..

How was 174 the key match? Yes it was what turned the dual, but I would say 197 was the key match. A good one too. You can talk about how Ohio State's conditioning was lacked, but that comeback was awesome. Shows how bad Heflin wanted it. My money is Ohio State wins the whole thing next year..

I agreee.  I think Kissel at 174 was overmatched and would of have been an upset if he won.  Kissel  wrestled pretty well.  The 197 match was the one Purdue had to have and Atwood's effort didnt disappoint.  He gave everything he had.  Heflin's defense on his feet was tough and Atwood couldn't penetrate on his shot.  Braden almost found a way to win.  Loved the effort from both guys. 

I think Purdue's lost opportunity was at 165 as Robinson potentially could have majored Grandominoco and got that extra bonus point to tie it up.  Definitely not an easy task but was doable.

Is there a criteria who would win in case of a tie?

Just a shame to let one like that slip away. I imagine it all comes down to wrestle offs but I would have to think Kral could have given them more than White did at heavy.

285 – Andrew Geers dec. Tyler Kral, 5-3

Kral lost to the true freshmen in the wrestle offs.

My there is A LOT of peanuts in this gallery.

I would like to CONGRATULATE Alex on making it as a D-I HWT. He has won more matches there than I have (and more HS wins). I know he is working as hard as he possibly can...not getting one takedown is no reason to throw him under the bus.

We are PROUD of our MV alum! Keep rep'n the Vern Whitey!

Tim Alcorn

MV Wrestling Head Coach

I thought Kissel matched up pretty well against Martin, and I expected a close match.  Martin has been up and down this year, and he doesn't wrestle well against an aggressive opponent.  I see your point about 197, but, again, Hef has just held on in some matches. He has not been as impressive this year as his sophomore year (he's up two weight classes this year, after struggling to both make weight and stay strong last year).  I thought Atwood had a great opportunity to take him out.

The Purdue wrestlers weren't going to win the 184 and 285 matches.  The 197 match was big, but I thought the 174 was bigger.  And, how big were the first two matches!  Great job by both Boilers!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.