Out of bounds rule

backtothemat

Can anyone enlighten me on this?  Saw a lot of inconstency today at the Castle Sectional.  Offensive wrestler two-feet in and opponent body out seemed to be called both ways (take down or out of bounds).  Could have made a difference in a few tight matches.....

Can anyone enlighten me on this?  Saw a lot of inconstency today at the Castle Sectional.  Offensive wrestler two-feet in and opponent body out seemed to be called both ways (take down or out of bounds).  Could have made a difference in a few tight matches.....

You can finish a takedown out of bounds if you gain control as/before you're going out of bounds and finish with your feet in.  You cannot newly gain control when the defending wrestler is out of bounds already and the attacking wrestler has only his feet in.  it's much different from college.

I'd love to see the college out-of-bounds rule adopted! It takes  away many of those questionable/close calls and rewards the offensive wrestler for controlling his opponent no matter where they are on the mat.

I agree that the college o.b. rule would help remove the grey area but at the same time there would be numerous high school mats that would be unusable since they don't have a need for the extra real estate beyond the circle so why buy them that way.  Not that it would be a huge deal but I'd say most schools have at least one mat that wouldn't work.

Saw a lot of inconsistency at the Northview sectionals too. Mostly due to the tight quarters and the officials wanting to keep the wrestlers safe, which is understandable but could have been done better. College rule would be an improvement but with walls and bleachers to contend with I don't know about safety.

I know that was not the only sectional. At our's there was some very questionable calls out of bounds by an very inexperience ref.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.