Congratulations Tom Clark

jlittlejohn

Tom Clark has been selected to be the recipient of the ISWA’s 2014 John Hurrle Award. It will be my honor, on behalf of the Indiana State Wrestling Association; to present Tom, my good friend and mentor, with this award at the 2014 IHSWCA Hall of Fame Banquet on Sunday February 23rd. Congratulations Tom!!!

The John Hurrle Award is presented annually by the Indiana State Wrestling Association to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the sport of Amateur Wrestling in the State of Indiana. The winner is chosen from nominations submitted by ISWA member clubs and directors and is presented to the recipient at the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association Hall of Fame Banquet held each year in February.

John Hurrle, one of the original founders and a lifetime member of the Indiana State Wrestling Association, coached for many years at Indianapolis Arsenal Technical High School. Coach Hurrle was devoted to wrestling and to all the wrestlers across the state regardless of school affiliation. John served on the ISWA Board of Directors from its founding in 1978 until his death in 1991. The ISWA is dedicated to the example that John set forth for the organization. John's motto was "DO IT FOR THE KIDS!" It is a motto the ISWA has adopted as its own.

Past recipients include: Danny Struck (2013), Jan & Sue Hesser (2012), Chris Lynch (2011),  Jim Tonte (2010), Bob Kopnisky (2009), Paul Green (2008), Tom Dolly (2007), JD Minch (2006), Royce Deckard (2005), T. Howard Jones Jr. & Robert Hasseman (2004), Dick Neal (2003), Rex Peckinpaugh (2002), Alan Goddard (2001), Francis Knue (2000), Mary Friedt (1999), John Schattner (1998), Mike & Sharon Dowden (1997), Rollie Hoover (1996), Bud Palmer (1995), Charles McNamara (1994), Larry Bergstrom (1993),and Phil Strader (1992)

Congrats Tom. Such an honor. People now do not realize what impact guys like John Hurrle and his coach Chauncey McDaniels had on today's wrestling. I grew up wrestling Saturdays at Tech High School at freestyle state and every other weekend at a clinic or tournament thanks to coach Hurrle. My college roommate , Darren Arberry, was really close to coach Hurrle. His motto still holds true today.  We do this " for the kids". Congrats Tom. Thanks for your dedication to kids and wrestling.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am very humbled and honored by this award. Jim is right, Coach Hurrle's impact continues today. I have known several of his athletes and they told me he either saved or changed their lives dramatically.

Having wrestled against John Hurrle's wrestlers in high school, and then having officiated his teams for years, I am sure John would be very pleased by the selection of Tom Clark to win an award named after John (well maybe, as anyone that knew John would know that it was never about him).  John was a straight shooter and demanded a great deal from his wrestlers and of himself.  John Hurrle didn't just produce very good, talented wrestlers, he produced very good young men.  He taught them that you just do the right thing.  In the days of old, many of us saw John Hurrle take a wrestler who was acting inappropriately up against the wall at the end of the gym and made certain that that wrestler knew he was going to be held accountable for his actions and how those actions reflected on Tech High School and its wrestling team.

I go through all of this to say that Tom Clark has been a tremendous giver to the sport of wrestling, just like John Hurrle.  In addition, Tom has been an excellent ambassador for the sport, in Ohio, Indiana and internationally.  Tom is always willing to "take up the cause" whether it is officiating a junior high meet, counseling a coach on the rules or the finer points of mentoring kids, etc.  Tom has contributed in so many ways for so many years.  Congratulations Tom Clark, well deserved !!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.