SCORING QUESTION

XCard

Looking for some insight on this.  I know when a wrestler steps on the mat and Injury Defaults, it counts as a loss.  When he is unable to complete the tournament, defaulting the rest of the way, do we score it as a default or a forfeit.  I have always thought it was a default and it does not count against their record as long as they do not physically start the match.  After putting some thought into it, shouldn't we technically score it as a forfeit since the wrestler is withdrawing from the tournament? The bonus points are the same for each.  Thoughts?

I know that the NCAA designates a difference between a MEDICAL FORFEIT and an INJURY DEFAULT.

A medical forfeit does not count against record.  It counts as full bonus points for the advancing wrestler.

An injury default does count against record.  It also counts as full bonus points for the advancing wrestler.

I'm not sure what the NFHS policy is regarding this situation, however.

Looking for some insight on this.  I know when a wrestler steps on the mat and Injury Defaults, it counts as a loss.  When he is unable to complete the tournament, defaulting the rest of the way, do we score it as a default or a forfeit.  I have always thought it was a default and it does not count against their record as long as they do not physically start the match.  After putting some thought into it, shouldn't we technically score it as a forfeit since the wrestler is withdrawing from the tournament? The bonus points are the same for each.  Thoughts?

Here are two scenarios I have been given rulings from the IHSAA.

1. Wrestler is injured, continues to finish the match and wins. Then defaults out of the tournament(3 matches total).

IHSAA Ruling: Only one of the matches counts on the kid's record as a loss, not three

2. Wrestler is injured via an illegal maneuver unable to continue the match and is declared the winner. He also is not able to wrestle his next match and thus defaults.

IHSAA Ruling: The loss does not count on the kid's record.

In neither case did the wrestler report to the mat.

So in summary, if (before reporting) a wrestler elects not to wrestle due to injury the loss(es) do not count against the record.  Is that correct?

If he finishes the match, the first loss accrued. In my first case my kid still won the first match and defaulted 3 other matches.

What if the wrestler wins that match that he is injured in?

See above

Right, that is why I parenthetically included before reporting.  If you don't see that mat, you don't take the stat. 

Calling the loss a stat on the record....sorry, best I could come up with.

From my experiences my kid technically was 1-3 in scenario #1. He won the quarterfinals and was also injured. We pulled him out of the semi-finals, consi-semi-finals and 5th place match. On his official record though he was 1-1 for the day. The loss was in the semi-finals when he first defaulted without stepping on the mat.

This happened a few years ago, but I believe Bobby Cox's response was the first loss only counts in an instance where the kid loses due to a "legal" injury(aka not an illegal slam or such). Thus if my kid would have lose the match he was injured it and defaulted his second match he would have only been 0-1 on the day.

OK, I misread the first post and thought he lost the first match of the first scenario, thus interpreting his one loss as the match in which he was injured.  Thank you for clarifying.  I got smarter today.

Is there such thing as you getting smarter? I thought you had reached the pinnacle of smartness.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.