Sectional Contingency Plan

allritecoach

Just received this this morning.

Sectional Wrestling Hosts,

The weather forecast for this coming weekend is challenging t best.  Given the potential for severe weather and the subsequent cancellations and postponements, please note the following contingency plans.  Your diligence will allow us to conduct our tournament with a minimum of delay.

1.      If necessary, delay the start time of your sectional meet to accommodate travel in inclement weather.  If scheduling permits, you may delay the start of your matches until 1:00 P.M. which will allow you to complete your tournament by 9:00 PM.

2.      If 50% of schools assigned to your sectional  are able to compete, you must conduct your sectional on the scheduled date.

3.      If more than 50% of the schools in your sectional are unable to compete due to the weather and or travel restrictions, you must conduct your sectional on the next allowable date and continue until the sectional is complete.  If you need to cancel on Saturday, you must wrestle on Monday and possible Tuesday, if needed to complete the sectional.

Robert E. Faulkens

Robert E. Faulkens

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association

317-846-6601

Follow the IHSAA on Twitter: @IHSAA1

IHSAA Logo

If you can't make it, who will load up every 4-Wheel drive vehicle they have and head to Sectionals!!

His note says that if 50% of the schools can show up, then you should hold the tournament.  So what happens to the other 50% are they done for the season?  I can't imagine that a senior's career could end in this manner!!

His note says that if 50% of the schools can show up, then you should hold the tournament.  So what happens to the other 50% are they done for the season?  I can't imagine that a senior's career could end in this manner!!

In recent years, we had an issue in a sectional or regional (or two, I can't recall) where the wrestlers not able to attend were able to go on to the next level in the state series in a one-and-done match.  If someone could refresh this situation in public memory, it would be appreciated.

Hmmmm.....would they do this with basketball sectionals? 

Example: Basketball Sectional Semifinals on a Friday night.  A host city school and another school can get to the gymnasium, but the country schools cannot or at least their superintendent won't allow them to, because they had school cancelled that day.  Would the IHSAA end the country schools seasons by forfeit, because 50% of the four semifinalists could make it?  Wow!

What a helpless feeling for the wrestlers of the schools who can't make it to Sectional this Saturday! 

Hmmmm.....would they do this with basketball sectionals? 

Example: Basketball Sectional Semifinals on a Friday night.  A host city school and another school can get to the gymnasium, but the country schools cannot or at least their superintendent won't allow them to, because they had school cancelled that day.  Would the IHSAA end the country schools seasons by forfeit, because 50% of the four semifinalists could make it?  Wow!

What a helpless feeling for the wrestlers of the schools who can't make it to Sectional this Saturday!

No way this actually happens.  It's a ridiculous premise that would create too much of a firestorm for the IHSAA to really follow through on.  Not only that, but what host school's coach would agree to go forward?  "Uh...I just realized all my kids need to go home to beat the storm.  I guess we'll have to wrestle on Monday," would probably be most coaches' response to a threat of this actually happening.

In recent years, we had an issue in a sectional or regional (or two, I can't recall) where the wrestlers not able to attend were able to go on to the next level in the state series in a one-and-done match.  If someone could refresh this situation in public memory, it would be appreciated.

It happened at the Jay County Regional a few years ago. A couple schools were unable to attend and Jay County still ran the tournament. They were trying to contact the IHSAA all morning on what to do, but of course the IHSAA would not answer. So they tried to fix the problem by adding those wrestlers into a rat-tail match with a regional champ at semi-state.

I believe this contingency plan is put in place to avoid another fiasco like what happened that year. The IHSAA says it is for the kids, but that is a load of crap. They are saying to hold the event if over 50% of the teams can make it. That is just ridiculous. Jay County already has a plan setup to get the event in on Monday if it has to happen.

We have 2 four wheel drive vehicles that can carry 6 and 5 extra people, I know if our school isn't allowed to  participate and if allowed I will be making sure my son gets there and would gladly grab any and all kids that wanted me to pick them up! What a sad scenario if some schools won't allow wrestlers to travel to sectionals that might still be held.

It happened at the Jay County Regional a few years ago. A couple schools were unable to attend and Jay County still ran the tournament. They were trying to contact the IHSAA all morning on what to do, but of course the IHSAA would not answer. So they tried to fix the problem by adding those wrestlers into a rat-tail match with a regional champ at semi-state.

I believe this contingency plan is put in place to avoid another fiasco like what happened that year. The IHSAA says it is for the kids, but that is a load of crap. They are saying to hold the event if over 50% of the teams can make it. That is just ridiculous. Jay County already has a plan setup to get the event in on Monday if it has to happen.

Thanks for the rehash.

Quote from: jchas on Yesterday at 10:53:34 AM

This brings up a good point.  Lets say a school systems decides not to travel.

If a kid shows-up on his own.  Will he be able to compete?

quote author=WCWC Coach link=topic=29556.msg195423#msg195423 date=1390930437]

I really would like to know the answer to this as well.  Can anyone please answer this??

A few years ago, I want to say around 2006+/-, Mitchell's Bus Driver decided the roads were too bad on the way to Southridge and against the coaches wishes turned the bus around and headed back to the school. Several parents were upset and prepared to caravan to Southridge, but, the Mitchell school administration told them that the wrestlers would not be permitted participate. One wrestler in particular, a senior, was something like 28-3 and had lost in the ticket round the previous year. There were a lot of hard feelings for several years. I believe this was simply a school's decision and not necessarily an IHSAA rule of any kind at that time. But if anyone would like a true answer to this question it should be posed to the IHSAA.

Quote from: jchas on Yesterday at 10:53:34 AM

This brings up a good point.  Lets say a school systems decides not to travel.

If a kid shows-up on his own.  Will he be able to compete?

quote author=WCWC Coach link=topic=29556.msg195423#msg195423 date=1390930437]

I really would like to know the answer to this as well.  Can anyone please answer this??

A few years ago, I want to say around 2006+/-, Mitchell's Bus Driver decided the roads were too bad on the way to Southridge and against the coaches wishes turned the bus around and headed back to the school. Several parents were upset and prepared to caravan to Southridge, but, the Mitchell school administration told them that the wrestlers would not be permitted participate. One wrestler in particular, a senior, was something like 28-3 and had lost in the ticket round the previous year. There were a lot of hard feelings for several years. I believe this was simply a school's decision and not necessarily an IHSAA rule of any kind at that time. But if anyone would like a true answer to this question it should be posed to the IHSAA.

That was a bad deal for Mitchell's wrestlers. Southridge offered to delay the start until noon if they could come latter but Mitchell told us they could not come. Paoli's bus passed Mitchell's on the way to Southridge after Mitchell's turned around. Paoli's driver said the road was fine. There was no snow on the roads or ice at Southridge that morning. Our tournament director contacted the IHSAA and they said that if Mitchell would not come that we had to go  ahead with the tournament. Every other team made it to the tournament.

If I remember right, the same situation happened in 2010 with the Jay County Regional.  Several parents were on the board here prepared to caravan, but I *think* were told by their AD that since there was a snow emergency in their county (Randolph) that they were not allowed to participate.  Not sure what a coach could do in this case, as the AD/school system is their employer.

I think I also remember that Brent Faurote with Bellmont was the one person at the tournament that really spoke out against the situation as it was happening and tried to get it postponed for the benefit of those schools that couldn't make it.

In any case, there have been multiple forecasts on the internet of another storm barrelling down on us here in Indiana.  I really hope that the AD of host schools is looking at schedules for basketball tournaments and determining if there is a good contingency plan, even if it means moving the event to another school with a free schedule.  Can't control mother nature, but they can plan in advance so that no senior ever has to be put out of the tournament in their final year after sometimes years of hard work by something that could have been avoided.

My take away here.  Is get in the car and take my kid.  I can ask forgiveness later.

ABSOLUTELY - get your kid there to wrestle.  NO WAY are they going to disqualify him for going on his own.  I'd like to see a school administration fight that legal battle.

Our sectional has already decided that if one of the nine teams can't make it, then four other schools won't be able to go either. :)

I would hope all sectional and regional participating schools would follow this example. Could you imagine Mater Dei not getting a single kid to state over weather? You have Central with a #1 ranked kid, Reitz with 2 top 10 wrestlers, Mt. Vernon with a #1 ranked wrestler. They all should communicate with each other to ensure weather doesn't end a season or career.

Sectional Wrestling Hosts,

The weather forecast for this coming weekend is challenging t best.  Given the potential for severe weather and the subsequent cancellations and postponements, please note the following contingency plans.  Your diligence will allow us to conduct our tournament with a minimum of delay.

1.      If necessary, delay the start time of your sectional meet to accommodate travel in inclement weather.  If scheduling permits, you may delay the start of your matches until 1:00 P.M. which will allow you to complete your tournament by 9:00 PM.

2.      If 50% of schools assigned to your sectional  are able to compete, you must conduct your sectional on the scheduled date.

3.      If more than 50% of the schools in your sectional are unable to compete due to the weather and or travel restrictions, you must conduct your sectional on the next allowable date and continue until the sectional is complete.  If you need to cancel on Saturday, you must wrestle on Monday and possible Tuesday, if needed to complete the sectional.

Robert E. Faulkens

Robert E. Faulkens

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association

317-846-6601

Follow the IHSAA on Twitter: @IHSAA1

It seems to me that the IHSAA is putting this on each individual School District as to weather(pun intended) they will permit their team to compete should the whether(see what I did there!) become a factor.  I will take a bashing for this but looking on the flip side of this, if 9 out of 10 teams are there, lets remember that most Sectionals are set up geographically, so all schools should be expierencing the same weather.  How is it fair to the other 9 schools that made it there, ready to compete, down on weight, to postpone because one district has decided against the majority? At what number does it become unfair? They are allowing each site time to postpone the time of the meet to allow for travel should need be.  I feel that cocahes should be speaking to their ADs today about their contingency plan as well should buses not be available to run.  Speak with administrators of the school district advising them of how important it is to get everyone there.  Maybe there is a waiver that can be signed permitting parents to transport their child to the event?  I realize this may fall upon deaf ears, but at least there can be some effort put forth to prevent a bad situation from occuring.  At least the suits of the IHSAA are making some kind of effort to put forth a plan should a scenerio like this come upon us.  I am not saying it is the greatest plan or even a good one, or fair one. At least it is something.

It seems to me that the IHSAA is putting this on each individual School District as to weather(pun intended) they will permit their team to compete should the whether(see what I did there!) become a factor.  I will take a bashing for this but looking on the flip side of this, if 9 out of 10 teams are there, lets remember that most Sectionals are set up geographically, so all schools should be expierencing the same weather.  How is it fair to the other 9 schools that made it there, ready to compete, down on weight, to postpone because one district has decided against the majority? At what number does it become unfair? They are allowing each site time to postpone the time of the meet to allow for travel should need be.  I feel that cocahes should be speaking to their ADs today about their contingency plan as well should buses not be available to run.  Speak with administrators of the school district advising them of how important it is to get everyone there.  Maybe there is a waiver that can be signed permitting parents to transport their child to the event?  I realize this may fall upon deaf ears, but at least there can be some effort put forth to prevent a bad situation from occuring.  At least the suits of the IHSAA are making some kind of effort to put forth a plan should a scenerio like this come upon us.  I am not saying it is the greatest plan or even a good one, or fair one. At least it is something.

Because unlike the IHSAA, WE as the wrestling community actually believe in the saying, "It is for the kids!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.