Ultimate Pick'em Contest 2014

decbell1

I haven't organized one in a few years, but I think it's time.

I am hoping this competition proves to be not too difficult, but not too easy.

E-mail me your entries at decbell1@hotmail.com before the opening whistle of sectional on February 1st.

Here's what I need:

Team Aspect:

State Champion Team (10 pts):_____________________________

Runner-Up Team (6 pts):_____________________________

3rd Place Team (4 pts):_____________________________

Merrillville SS Team Champ (5 pts):_____________________________

Fort Wayne SS Team Champ (5 pts):_____________________________

New Castle SS Team Champ(5 pts):_____________________________

Evansville SS Team Champ (5 pts):_____________________________

Individual Aspect:

Pick one wrestler from each Regional. The further they go, the more points you score. (Only one wrestler per regional)

State Champ: 10 pts

State Semifinalist (2nd-4th): 8 pts

State Placer (5th-8th): 6 pts

State Qualifier: 4 pts

SS Quarterfinalist: 2 pts

SS Qualifer or below: -1 pt

1.    Calumet :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Calumet, East Chicago Central.

2.    Crown Point :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Crown Point, LaPorte.

3.    Rochester :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Mishawaka, Plymouth.

4.    Logansport :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Lafayette Jefferson, Twin Lakes.

5.    Goshen :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Elkhart Memorial, Westview.

6.    Carroll (Fort Wayne) :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Carroll (Fort Wayne), New Haven.

7.    Peru :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Oak Hill, Peru.

8.    Jay County :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Delta, Jay County.

9.    North Montgomery :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Crawfordsville, Zionsville.

10.  Pendleton Heights :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Hamilton Heights, Lawrence Central.

11.  Perry Meridian :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Indianapolis Arsenal Technical, Shelbyville.

12.  Richmond :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Tri, Franklin County.

13.  Mooresville :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Avon, Mooresville.

14.  Bloomington South :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Northview, Southridge.

15.  Jeffersonville :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Jeffersonville, Jennings County.

16.  Castle :_____________________________

Feeder Sectionals: Castle, Evansville Central.

Here is a link for the list of teams in each sectional and regional: http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Wrestling/201314/StateTournament/tabid/1579/Default.aspx

the team aspect seems pretty easy...I think I can predict all 4 SS Team Champs & top 3 teams at state dead on...lol but im sure we all will think that....I'm figuring since team aspect is so easy it will be a combined score to determine your winner, so I think I answered my own question. sounds fun I will submit an entry for sure, but it definitely will take some time for ind. aspect...

the team aspect seems pretty easy...I think I can predict all 4 SS Team Champs & top 3 teams at state dead on...lol but im sure we all will think that....I'm figuring since team aspect is so easy it will be a combined score to determine your winner, so I think I answered my own question. sounds fun I will submit an entry for sure, but it definitely will take some time for ind. aspect...

I actually think there are some good team races at SS

Penn vs. Lowell, CP, Mishawaka

Yorktown vs. East Noble

Cathedral vs PM and Warren Central

EMD vs Franklin

I actually think there are some good team races at SS

Penn vs. Lowell, CP, Mishawaka

Yorktown vs. East Noble

Cathedral vs PM and Warren Central

EMD vs Franklin

At semistate how many points does a team get for each place? So first place gives how many points towards team score, and all the way to 6th place?

Then how are they going to determine the TRUE alternate? 5/6 place match should happen just like last year! Unless something changed?

Some places didn't run an efficient enough time schedule at regionals and semi-state apparently so the answer to complete things at a better time was to eliminate the 5/6 alternate match from the schedule.  They resorted back to the last person eliminated by the champion as the alternate. 

Some places didn't run an efficient enough time schedule at regionals and semi-state apparently so the answer to keep complete things at a better time was to eliminate the 5/6 match from the schedule.

thats a bunch of BullJive!

After looking through the bulletin again, it looks like there will be a 5/6 match everywhere but regional.  That is the only level where the alternate is the last non-advancer that lost to the champion.

sounds stupid to me because thats when there are the least amount of matches correct? you have 8 wrestlers at each weight at regionals, less than most sectionals, less than semi state and less than state. here they go again screwing stuff up. I know at our regional last year, the 5/6 match took place the same time as the 1/2 & 3/4 matches just on a different mat. whats the big freaking deal.

After looking through the bulletin again, it looks like there will be a 5/6 match everywhere but regional.  That is the only level where the alternate is the last non-advancer that lost to the champion.

Coach I'm not sure you read the Bullitin correctly.  While there are still full wrestle-backs at Sectional, the Bulletin explains at the Regional and Semi-State level the alternate will be the last person eliminated by the Champion that did not place.

According to page 65 and 66 of the Winter Bulletin

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick%20resources/Winter%20Bulletin.pdf

Regionals to Semi-State

Alternates–If it becomes necessary to provide an alternate for any contestant eligible to advance, the following procedure will be used:

b. The 1st alternate will be the last individual defeated by the champion who did not advance by placing.

Semi-State to State Finals

Alternates–If it becomes necessary to provide an alternate for any contestant eligible to advance, the following procedure will be used:

b. The only alternate will be the 5th place contestant in that weight class from that site.

c. The 5th place alternate will be the last individual defeated by the champion who did not advance.

sounds stupid to me because thats when there are the least amount of matches correct? you have 8 wrestlers at each weight at regionals, less than most sectionals, less than semi state and less than state. here they go again screwing stuff up. I know at our regional last year, the 5/6 match took place the same time as the 1/2 & 3/4 matches just on a different mat. whats the big freaking deal.

Though alternate are not used often, when it used the system place usually does not choose one of the next best wrestlers to be the alternate.  Under the current rule the alternate is the last last person eliminated by he champion that did not advance.  At the Regional level the champion is usually also the Sectional Champion.  Which means the last person they eliminated was the 4th place finisher from the other sectional (in some cases if a sectional alternate is needed the 5th place finisher from the Sectional).  That person then becomes the semi-state alternate for that Regional without winning a single match and finishing in the lowest advancing sectional spot.

I had suggested before that the alternate go to the highest sectional placer eliminated in the 1st round.  In the event of two wrestlers eliminated with the same sectional placement, the spot goes to to the the wrestler from the regional champions sectional.  While still not as fair as a wrestle-back it at least gets closer to giving the spot to the proven next best wrestler available.  It's a little less of an issue in semi-state as the alternate at least must win an opening semi-state match and often time is actually a 2nd place regional finisher.  But the same suggestion I made for Regional would work at Semi-state too, however due to 4 Regional's combining at Semi-State in the event of two eliminated with the same placement it may have to occasionally may need to resort back to the person from the Semi-State runner-ups Regional if neither comes from the champions Regional.

I'd rather see full wrestle-backs put in place to determine an alternate, but apparently a better system of tournament organization and time-engagement needs to be implemented in many localizations for that to happen.  Until then I would at least promote the idea of finding the most proven wrestler eliminated from the tournament to be the alternate, rather than the current IHSAA system.

seems like i'm usually in the minority but i for one thought wrestle backs to 5th/6th just to determine an alternate were a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.  The time it takes to determine an alternate doesn't justify that we RARELY even need an alternate.  So, i'm going to have to side with the IHSAA on this one.  I know several coaches last year thought it was a waste of time too.

Now - I will say I really like MattM's suggestion for naming the alternate but I doubt the IHSAA would use it.  The only way to find out is for the wrestling coaches association  to propose it next year as a rule change.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.