How big a factor is wresting good compition

jchas

Yes. I feel it is especially big factor for middle of the road kids.  You will notice at times kids with double digit losses making it to Semi-State or State and wonder how they have gotten there.  Most of them have propbably wresteld a schedule consisting of what you would call good competition.

I think strength of schedule is a huge factor. I think that is why you see some teams and wrestlers really improve come tournament time. I've seen many teams and individuals catch ground and pull out victories, and besides good coaching, I believe strength of schedule has a huge factor.

Penn has gotten exponentially better in recent years due in large part to their schedule.

Beyond the physical act of wrestling tougher kids, a stronger schedule gives your kids the "we want to take on anyone and everyone" mentality. Definitely helps come semi-state.

I think its very important to have some good competition throughout the season. If you blow through everybody and get to Semi-State and you haven't been challenged, and find yourself in the ticket round in a close match, you may not know how to respond. Hard matches throughout the season that may be losses will prepare you for that one match at the end of the season to possibly get you to Semi-State or State.

with out a doubt. jchs you saw Avon last weekend, we are tough across the board because our schedule is relentless. we don't start til after Thanksgiving but once we get going it is non stop no breaks, Cathedral and Warren first weekend, Perry second weekend, wrestle you guys (HSE) Zionsville Brownsburg Plainfield in between,then go to MD for xmas. our county tournament has always got our kids looking at 2 sometimes 3 seeds because of so many losses and other schools kids have 0 or1 to 2 losses, it plays out in the end. I believe that is huge advantage come tournament time. Quinn has wrested 11 or 12 state or semi state ranked guys out of 30 matches it can't hurt.

Last year my son only had 1 really good match before Semi-State and that was in

December.  I think that really hurt him at the end of the year.  Do you guys think this

is much of a factor?

You and I know that tough competition through the year helps tremendously but it is not the end all.

None of my boys have seen particularly tough competition during the season.  I think it hurt my oldest, but the younger two have spent time on the mat off season and have had that experience.  I don't think Tony wrestled a State ranked wrestler more than a handful of times prior to the tournament and he managed three medals at Conseco.

Sam likewise has faced but a few.  It did not stop him his freshman year from beating a senior from Bellmont first round of SS, the #4 ranked kid in the State in the ticket round, lost to the #3 by a point (may have been two,) then beat the #7 raked kid in the State in the third place match.  Had he not been sick last year he may have pulled it off again.

I worry as I watch him on the mat this year as he often wrestles to the level of the competition (and it is not all that great for the most part.)  But he has been there and knows what it takes.  The question is whether it will be there when he needs it this year.  At 19-1 he has the third best record in our sectional so he will start getting his tough matches this week with conference and next week at sectional.  He should be tested if he makes t down to State.

I have seen Jack wrestle in the past. He has it if he can summon it at the right time.  It is in there. All he needs to do is to fins that trigger and give it a pull.

Agree with norm wrestlers are made in the practice room as long as the coach moves them around to different partners, you need tall lanky partners and short stalky ones. as many different partners as possible even if the weights are 20 pounds different helps the lighter kid with strength and usually the heavier kid with speed. If all practice partners are equal that is. Champions are made on their day off.     

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.