Fleeing the mat vs. Stalling

Wrestling Dad

I'm sure someone has the actual rules book entry but until then a quick explication would be:

Stalling is when you are not active attempting to score during the wrestling match.

Fleeing the mat is when you are leaving the competition circle in order to avoid being scored on during the wrestling match.

Following are the rules applying to both. Keep in mind, however, that both infractions are closely related and may even occur simultaneously. It is within the referees discretion to determine which infraction, if any, should be penalized in any particular situation.

2013-14 NFHS Wrestling Rules Book

Rule 7-3-1 (fleeing)

Page 37

...Going out of the wrestling area or forcing an opponent out of the wrestling area, by either wrestler at any time as a means of avoiding wrestling, is a technical violation. Both wrestlers should make every effort to remain inbounds. When the referee feels that either wrestler has failed to make every effort to stay inbounds, the offending wrestler shall be penalized. There can be no technical violation of fleeing the mat if near-fall points have been earned.

Rule 7-6-3 (stalling)

Page 39

...It is stalling in the neutral position when a wrestler:

a. continuously avoids contact with the opponent;

b. plays the edge of the mat;

c. prevents the opponent from returning to or remaining inbounds; or

d. is not attempting to secure a takedown.

Following are the rules applying to both. Keep in mind, however, that both infractions are closely related and may even occur simultaneously. It is within the referees discretion to determine which infraction, if any, should be penalized in any particular situation.

2013-14 NFHS Wrestling Rules Book

Rule 7-3-1 (fleeing)

Page 37

...Going out of the wrestling area or forcing an opponent out of the wrestling area, by either wrestler at any time as a means of avoiding wrestling, is a technical violation. Both wrestlers should make every effort to remain inbounds. When the referee feels that either wrestler has failed to make every effort to stay inbounds, the offending wrestler shall be penalized. There can be no technical violation of fleeing the mat if near-fall points have been earned.

Rule 7-6-3 (stalling)

Page 39

...It is stalling in the neutral position when a wrestler:

a. continuously avoids contact with the opponent;

b. plays the edge of the mat;

c. prevents the opponent from returning to or remaining inbounds; or

d. is not attempting to secure a takedown.

Now lets find some refs who will support this... Just following these rules would change our sport!!!

Now lets find some refs who will support this... Just following these rules would change our sport!!!

This is the never-ending dialogue--because it's impossible to please everyone along the continuum of "call it like the rule says" vs. "let the kids decide the match."  Everyone has his own feel for when the rule is being applied appropriately and when the ref has been too intrusive.  If only it were as simple as "just follow the rules."

I personally have always wished it were called more quickly, but it's tough to train all officials to call it in the same ways and with consistency. 

This is the never-ending dialogue--because it's impossible to please everyone along the continuum of "call it like the rule says" vs. "let the kids decide the match."  Everyone has his own feel for when the rule is being applied appropriately and when the ref has been too intrusive.  If only it were as simple as "just follow the rules."

I personally have always wished it were called more quickly, but it's tough to train all officials to call it in the same ways and with consistency. 

My thing is if you call it like the rule says the kids really will decide the match (ie run away and give up points or how about if you are a better wrestler you win) ...  ;)

My thing is if you call it like the rule says the kids really will decide the match (ie run away and give up points or how about if you are a better wrestler you win) ...  ;)

I totally agree, but many, many coaches and fans don't see it that way. 

...Going out of the wrestling area or forcing an opponent out of the wrestling area, by either wrestler at any time as a means of avoiding wrestling, is a technical violation. Both wrestlers should make every effort to remain inbounds.

If they call it like the rule says, there would be a bunch of fleeing the mat calls.  I see wrestlers, when they are near the line, shove their opponent out of bounds.  As stated, that should be called.  If you are riding them on the line, and you take them out of bounds, as stated, that should be called.  It would be stupid, but . . .

It is an old teaching here in Southern Indiana (at least) if you dance side to side and dont go straight backwards it is not stalling... but guess what it is. But my favorite is the new way of stalling, and that is to shot on a leg and hold on for dear life. that way it looks like you are trying.  Just my Humble Opinion ;)

It is an old teaching here in Southern Indiana (at least) if you dance side to side and dont go straight backwards it is not stalling... but guess what it is. But my favorite is the new way of stalling, and that is to shot on a leg and hold on for dear life. that way it looks like you are trying.  Just my Humble Opinion ;)

At least he got the leg... Should only be a few seconds until a stalemate.

Doesnt shooting in on a leg provoke wrestling every time? If neither wrester betters their position in 5- 10 sec,  its a stalemate unless both wresters are working hard to better it. As was stated would love to see agressive refs on the mat. Refs could push the action but most don't. when you allow the wrestlers to wrestle they tend to get lazy and complacent until the last 15 sec.IMO hateto say it but its why i love freestyle no fleeing have to win 2 out of 3periods  atleast pushes the action the last 15 sec. of each period.

The real problem with stalling is it never called till the call means nothing. Kid scores his pionts then backs away the rest of the match. Ref decides to finally call a warning with 10 seconds in the match?

Stalling in the first period is the same as the 3rd. Call it early!! The kids will decided it after that.

Fleeing will never be called right till all officials have had to ref a few years of freestyle. My opinion only.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.