76th Meeting Between Reitz and Mater Dei

hook and half

The annual Reitz/Mater Dei game was recently selected as the greatest football rivalry among Indiana high schools.  West siders will tell you the Panthers and Wildcats also enjoy the best wrestling rivalry the Hoosier state has to offer.

Ask any wrestler who has donned the Red & Gold or Blue & Gray and he will tell you about his greatest glory—or nadir of agony—and how it related to the annual Reitz/Mater Dei meet.  For nearly three-quarters of a century, young wrestlers on the west side have grown up with the dream of wearing his school colors and having his hand raised, signifying a win over his arch-rival.

One-year-old Mater Dei got a head start on the Panthers, fielding its first team in 1950.  Three years later, Reitz followed suit.

Mater Dei hosted Reitz on January 15, 1953, in what would be the first wrestling dual of the series.

The Wildcats were led by volunteer coach and ex-Chicago Bear, Gus Peters.  Reitz legend Allan Horn coached the Panthers.

Both would later be elected to the Indiana High School Wrestling Hall of Fame.

“The Mater Dei and Reitz rivalry was in full swing,” said Bob Drone, Mater Dei class of 1953.  “There were about 150 fans showed up for it.  No one knew much about wrestling, but they cheered for their team.”

“Reitz had some big-name football players on the wrestling team,” said Tom Scheller, Mater Dei class of 1954.  “But, we were so fired up, it didn’t matter.  This was wrestling, not football.  Everyone was very determined.”

The Wildcats’ experience and pluck proved to be too much for the Panthers and Allan Horn’s grapplers succumbed, 51-2.

Ron Kempf, Curt Seib, Don Schenk, Bob Brenner, Jim Schenk, Tom Scheller, Urban Seibert, Jim Seibert, Bob Drone, Don Deer and Bill Trainer claimed victories for the Red & Gold.  Reitz earned two points by the John Rebstock and Noel McDonald match which ended in a draw.

By the mid-1960s, wrestling had taken a firm foothold in Evansville and was spreading to neighboring counties.  Harrison, North, Bosse, Central, Reitz and Mater Dei had full, or nearly full, varsity, junior varsity and freshman rosters. 

Reitz and Mater Dei had established themselves as local powerhouses and players in the State wrestling scene.  Mater Dei claimed two State Champions, Fred Happe and Bill Trainer, while both schools boasted several State Placers. 

The rivalry entered its golden era.

Fan interest was sky-high for January 23, 1966 dust up.  Reitz coach Don Henry tapped Reitz’s pool of athletes to field a physical and tough team.  13 years into its program, Reitz, an owner of only two wins and a draw against the Wildcats, had made enormous strides.  The Hilltoppers felt that this could be the team to defeat the ‘Cats.  Henry put the match into perspective.

“If a person who doesn’t know a thing about wrestling can go out and sit through a Reitz/Mater Dei match without getting excited, he’s just not a competitor,” he said.

On the heels of pins by 95 pound Larry Barchet and 103 pound Steve Jarboe, Reitz jumped out to a 10-0 lead.  The Wildcats clawed their way back in and took a 21-16 lead when Bill Hausmann turned in a pin at 154 pounds.  Reitz’s Larry Merritt and Bill Hape claimed back-to-back decision victories to post the Panthers a one-point lead.

The meet came down to the heavyweights.  Mater Dei’s Bill Pfister took the mat to face Reitz’s Dan Labhart.  To the screams of 1,100 rabid fans, Pfister wasted no time, going after Labhart and getting the fall at the 3:04 mark.

Big Ten referee Bill Bruce officiated the match.

“You know,” he said.  “I’ve never seen as big a wrestling crowd as this anywhere in Indiana.  Not even in the sectional or regional.”

Final score:  Mater Dei- 26, Reitz- 22.

The following season, Reitz and Mater Dei, both undefeated in City play, met on January 19, 1967.  Don Henry was bullish about his team’s prospects.

“This is one of the best teams we have had in eight or nine years,” declared Henry.

Reitz hit Mater Dei hard, early and often, opening the match with wins by Larry Barchet, Steve Jarboe, Tony Trammel, Randy Hahn, Bill Majors and Dick Metz.  Only Mater Dei’s Gary Martin stopped the Panthers from claiming all of the first seven bouts.

The Wildcats won some matches in the upper weights, but the damage was done as the Panthers turned in a dominating, 26-13 victory in front of 1,000 delirious Panther fans in Reitz’s gym. 

The defeat marked the first City loss for Mater Dei since 1959 and earned Reitz the City title.

In 1968, Harrison dominated the local wrestling scene.  Although Harrison had already clinched the City title, interest was extremely high for the Reitz/Mater Dei dual. 

On January 25, 1,500 fans filed into Mater Dei’s gym to witness a classic.

Reitz jumped on Mater Dei early, getting pins from Bill Steiner and Larry Barchet to grab a 10-0 lead.  Mater Dei dominated the middle weights, getting wins from Greg Kempf, Art Happe, and Tom Schapker.  Reitz answered with their own run, posting wins by Randy Hahn, Bill Bish and Dick Metz. With three bouts remaining and a 22-13 lead, one more win by the Panthers would guarantee a win. 

Mater Dei narrowed Reitz’s lead when Mike Forche beat Reitz’s Bill Hewig, 6-4.  At 180 pounds, the Wildcats’ Steve Pfister got a first period takedown and never trailed, holding on for a nail biting, 4-2 win.  With Reitz clinging to a 22-19 lead, the dual would be decided by the heavyweights.

Wildcat Frank Buerger immediately attacked Walter Carr and scored a first period fall, sending the Mater Dei Nation into hysterics.

Final score:  Mater Dei- 24, Reitz- 22.

“These guys have overcome a lot of adversity,” praised Mater Dei boss Joe Gossman.  “To come in here and win a match like this, well, it just means a lot.”

In 1969, 2000 fans, a new attendance record, gathered in Reitz’s gym on January 30 to witness the annual donnybrook. 

The Panthers came out on fire, opening with six wins in the first seven weight classes.  The strong start ignited Reitz’s fans making the Wildcats task even more desperate in hostile territory.  Despite winning matches in the upper weights, the deficit was too large to overcome and the Panthers prevailed, 26-16.

“To those who understand wrestling,” said Don Henry, “It would be the winning in our lower weight classes, because we’re weaker in the heavier divisions.  If we hadn’t won those at first, we could have been in trouble.”

A frustrated Joe Gossman agreed.

“You can’t come out and lose like we did in the beginning and expect to win,” he said.

Reitz’s Gil Barchet, Larry Barchet, Bill Steiner, Craig Deig and Charlie Cook all turned in wins to maintain their unblemished records.  Mater Dei’s Art Happe and John Cartwright also kept their unbeaten seasons intact.

The see-saw series continued, with Reitz grabbing a 23-15, 1970 verdict.  Mater Dei returned the favor with a 34-8 victory over the Panthers in 1971.

The contests between 1966 and 1971 were the highest-attended wrestling meets in Indiana.  Most years, including the past five, the annual dual has set the standard for Indiana wrestling attendance.

This Thursday's match will mark the 76th meeting of the west side powers.  For the series, Mater Dei has claimed 65 wins, while Reitz owns eight.  Two of the matches have ended in a tie.

Now in its seventh decade, the rivalry thrives.  Fans and coaches circle this date on the calendar with a red pen.  For the coaches and spectators, there are only two outcomes:  euphoria or misery. 

For the combatants, the evening always carries special importance.

While many of the boys are neighbors and friends off the mat, the conviviality ends when the grapplers toe the line.  This is the night to perform.  For many of the athletes, this will be the biggest stage on which they will ever compete.  Any wrestler, who grows up on the wrestling-mad west side, has daydreamed about delivering his team to victory in front of a packed, raucous house.

At stake is a lifetime of bragging rights.  This is the night for dreams to come true.

We are MD...A History of Mater Dei Wrestling will be released in October, 2014. 

Hook and Half

You are one or all of the following.

1.  You've been doing lots of research on MD / Reitz wrestling.

2.  Have a ton of time on your hands.

3.  Are writing a book.

Next week can you work up something on the North Posey / Tecumsch rivalry, it's not quite as wrapped in history, but will save you a few minutes in research and writing.

The Dog Rules

This is one of the best posts I have read on this site in a long time. Those contests in the 60's

And 70's  were some of the most intense and fun matches I can remember. I wish Coach Gossman could be here to give  his account of the rivalry between him and Don Henry.

Joe Gossman III

Great post hook and half.  :) I have to agree that there isn't an atmosphere anything like this anywhere in the state. This history represents the respect that is shown by the majority of the fans. I only hope that the respect and history continues for many years to come. I never wrestled in one of these duals, but it leaves me my own perspective from my son. He has always said that the feeling he had when wrestled in his 4 years of these duals was something he will remember for ever. The atmosphere was always incredible. He even said it was more exciting to wrestle away at MD than at home at Reitz....... 8)

Really cool post! My dad, Charlie Cook, is mentioned from the 1969 season. Other than some wall charts and some newspaper clippings, I have never seen much about my dad's career, so this is really cool for me!

TND-

Send me an email-- jsjohnson@ccol.net  I have a couple of items on your dad.

-hook

Very interesting post! Thank you for taking the time to give a quick synopsis of the history between these two schools. One thing that most people outside wrestling don't realize is that when Reitz and Mater Dei are not competing against each other they are each others biggest supporters.  Mater Dei made a fantastic run for a team state title and Reitz fans and wrestlers were watching their Hill Classic while simultaneously watching trackwrestling rooting on the Wildcats. Thursday will be another exciting night of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.