Starting Weight Classes

XCard

So we have a draw to see what weight we start our dual meets, has the idea ever been thrown around to do a similar thing during the/an individual tourney? Thought they tried this on the collegiate level before.  I will take it a step further, what if we just did a blind draw for EVERY weight class for individual tourney? Thoughts and comments encouraged!

One of the big roadblocks I see is that almost all tournaments use a computer to ease the workload and the computer systems I'm familiar with all queue up the matches based on match number assigned when brackets are created and the software creates the brackets in weight class order. The software could be modified to do the weights in any specified order, but it would take some coding. In the meantime it would add a lot of work on the computer geek (i.e. me) to make sure the bouts got put in the correct order manually.

If I recall their maybe a rule in place allowing for a tournament to start at a random weight, but it may have said something about them continuing in consecutive order afterward.  Some major national events used to set a specific order to their finals in order to show the most anticipated matches at the end.  However that picking and choosing method of organizing the finals may not have sat well with the national rules committee, so if I remember correctly they put in a rule providing for some type of random draw to determine the weights instead.

Also, in my personal view running weight classes randomly would cause some constant confusion to all involved of who is about to wrestle soon and make it difficult for tournament directors to ensure no mistakes occured.  Tournament hosts, coaches, and wrestlers have enough things to worry about throughout the day without adding more complications to the system.  I'd stick with starting at 106 or draw a weight and wrestle the other weight classes consecutively for that reason too. 

I guess we can go baby steps here, start with drawing the starting weight class and following in order.  Let's take our Finals for instance, probably one of the best in the country at showcasing the final matches, given the presentation.  So we are clear before this post is hijacked by a class wrestling talks, I am talking purely presentation here, i.e. the lights, one mat, etc.  How cool would it be to move a Forte/Lecount rematch to the end, or the co main event, Micic/Lee?

Imo, the best show would be backwards 285 first 106 last makes for a better show. Alot more action at  106 than 285 its kinda boring watchin to hvywieghts tie up and dance for 6 minutes  as opposed 106 scrambling for 6 min.

Yeah and your opinion turrrible

Who would want to end a tourney with 2 14 year old pimply faced freshman 106lbers going at it?

Did the random draw probably 40 years ago. The thinking  then was that the pressure was not always on the same kids. I enjoyed it, you didn't watch a steady diet of size building. Maybe wrestle in.reverse order would be neat sometimes.

We were in a 4 team super dual where the weight class and teams were drawn. Example 106 a vs b & c vs d? Then 170, a vs d & b vs c. At the end of 3 rounds you figured the 3 meet scores.

Confusing yes, but great fun.

2013-14 NFHS Wrestlng Rules Book

Rule 1-3-4

Page 7

...A random draw of weight classes for championship final matches for an indiviually bracketed tournamentregular season and/or state high school championship series, may be used for competition. ...

a. The random draw shall take place immediately preceding weigh-ins.

b. The referee or other authorized person shall supervise the random draw.

c. Subsequent matches will follow in sequential order.

2013-14 NFHS Wrestlng Rules Book

Rule 1-3-4

Page 7

...A random draw of weight classes for championship final matches for an indiviually bracketed tournamentregular season and/or state high school championship series, may be used for competition. ...

a. The random draw shall take place immediately preceding weigh-ins.

b. The referee or other authorized person shall supervise the random draw.

c. Subsequent matches will follow in sequential order.

Ole' Littlejohn beat me to the punch... I was typing that same rule :o)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.