Wrestling Cliches to Ban

hook and half

My updated and personal (least) favorite clichés list for 2014:

"The only ranking that matters is who tops the podium at Banker's Life".  Solid evidence and reasoning that any pre or in-season rankings should be banned.  Also, if you are not in contention to win a state title, you should probably quit.

"...will make some noise".  It's a good thing.  Everyone hates a quiet winner.

"...will surprise some people".  Surprise who with what?  He is out of pull-up pants?

"It's all about the six minutes".  Unless, of course, you get pinned in three seconds.

Coaches pre-match speech when his team/athlete is hopelessly overmatched.  “They’re just like us; they put their singlets on one leg at a time.”  The only difference is, once they get their singlets on they are going to pin us.

Ridiculous assertions that the wrestler you are promoting was winning until he "got caught.”  IE:  "He was doing great against Tsirtsis until he 'got caught' on the 15th takedown and was tech falled 30-15."

"(After the loss) He will be back in the room working hard."  Because, as we all know, after a win, a really good wrestler generally takes off a week.

"They are the hardest working team in the state.”  Is there a nomination process for the "hardest working team?”  Was James Brown a wrestler before he became the godfather of soul?

Billy Bob will win is because he "works harder." That is because no one else in the state, sectional, conference, etc. works hard at his weight class. I am awaiting the day that someone posts, "He is lazy, but he will win because he is stronger than anyone else."

Thanks to Y2CJ41 for this gem.

How about this statistic that every coach uses, but it never seems to show up on the stat sheets: the "shoulda won."  I have coaches tell me that a wrestler has 15 wins and 20 losses, but 10 of those losses are matches he "shoulda won." Some kids have more "shoulda wons" than they have actual victories.  I often wonder how this works in seeding meetings. "I know my wrestler has 30 losses, but I want him seeded No. 1 because he 'shoulda won' at least 25 of those."

Tip of the hat to Friendsfrunningwriter.

He is on a MISSION.

Good one, alcorntr

"He’s got heart" (about the guy you hope wins).  Heart, but no ability.

Sorry I only picked one of your submissions, maligned.  They were all good.

To go along with your seeding meeting idea:

"(Insert name here) is 18 and 20, but they've been up against stellar competition.  Their strength of schedule is way up there."

I hear this one every year and it never seems to really matter once they wrestle.

When a kid comes in with an"inflated" record and loses." He's raw, needs more technique." If you knew that as a coach, you should have been working on that since day one, not waiting until he loses.

Crowd Cliche', kids on his back getting pinned. "Get-up, Stand-up, don't let him pin you."

Coach, " You have to score points here, that's how you win"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.