106 Reitz Griffith

113 Crary Munster

120 Black Hobart

126 Micic Hanover central

132 Brewster Hanover Central

138 Krzyston Andrean

145 sebahar lake central

152 Chritenson lake central

160 Vargas lake central(maybe slosser Munster if he's in there)

170 Sopko Hobart

182 Fowler Calumet

195 Scott hanover central

220 Robinson lake central

285 yanez river forest

Lake central  wins tight over hanover

I haven't seen the brackets

No Lowell, crown point merrillville or Hammond Morton

Lake County Tournament

AT CEDAR LAKE

Team Scores

1. Hanover Central 283.5, 2. Lake Central 258.5, 3. Hobart 219.5, 4. Griffith 190, 5. Calumet 162, 6. Lake Station 139.5, 7. Munster 130, 8. River Forst 123, 9. Andrean 104, 10. Highland 101, 11. Clark 85.5, 12. East Chicago Central 75, 13. Wheeler 67, 14. West Side 61.5, 15. Gavit 55, 16. Bishop Noll 51, 17. Lew Wallace 34, 18. Hammond 27.

Finals

106 -- Jeremiah Reitz (G) p. Isaac Cortes (HC) 2:23, 113 -- Jason Crary (M) p. Zach Pardus (Ho) 3:24, 120 -- Brendan Black (Ho) p. D.J. Neal (HC) 1:15, 126 -- Stevan Micic (HC) tech. fall Branden Truver (LC) 18-2, 132 -- Alec Norwahl (Ca) d. Matt Barnes (Ho) 8-3, 138 -- Mike Krzyston (A) d. Jacy Leon (Ho) 10-5, 145 -- Jake Sebahar (LC) d. Evan Larsen (HC) 11-5, 152 -- Kody Christianson (LC) d. Ryan Gough (W) 13-1, 160 -- Jake Kleimola (LC) d. Ben Stassi (G) 6-0, 170 -- Scottie Sopko (Ho) d. Danny Vargas (LC) 22-8, 182 -- Nick Fowler (Ca) d. Ryan Dunlap (G) 9-2, 195 -- Tyler Scott (HC) p. Rene Zamora (Cl) 2:32, 220 -- Gelen Robinson (LC) p. Adam Kopil (A) 1:19, 285 -- Robert Yanez (RF) d. Marshawn Manuel (Ca) 6-4.

I think the problem you are running into is that for some teams, this tournament becomes redundant.  With conference tourneys approaching, most of theses schools will see each other again the following week, then possibly a third time at Sectionals. There are still pros to this tournament taking place and hope that it continues, but I would not be surprised to see some other teams skipping this and trying to enter other tournaments.  That seems to be the norm, as I believe when this originally started, all teams except for Merrillville and Crown Point were in this tournament. 

Merrillville was in the first Lake County tournament, and maybe the first 2 or 3 before they bailed out, but no more than that. The first two were at Calumet, then Highland, Griffith, Lake Station and Hammond Clark before shifting to Hanover Central.

Crown Point is the ONLY Lake County team that has never participated. Crown Point rotates a Quad dual with Portage every other year on the same date, and that tournament (held at Portage this year) also includes Lowell and Rensselaer Central. Hammond Morton advised that they see all of the teams too many times already, and thus they opted out a few years back. Wheeler is indeed in Porter County, but as a first full year varsity team needed to fill some dates and were thus added to the mix. I'm not sure, however, if that will continue or not in the future.

I think a couple people above nailed it on the head..

The Lake County Tournament is the Harvest Classic without Penn.

Morton wrestles at the Harvest, why would they want to wrestle these teams again, and then again at Sectionals?

It's also the Northwest Crossroads Conference Tournament with Hanover, Lake Central, and Calumet.

Lowell wrestles in the NCC and wrestles Hanover in a dual and sees Lake Central and Calumet at the Al Smith.

Crown Point wrestles the top 2 teams from this tournament in duals during the season and has an opportunity to wrestle Portage and Lowell instead on this date.

Merrillville has an opportunity to wrestle a bunch of great duals in Missouri, including against Evansville Mater Dei on this weekend. 

I understand why all 4 would decline, and am surprised more haven't.

To Julio Cisneros/Boone Grove,

I  believe the invite to Wheeler was made by Hanover Central's former AD, who is now an Ass't Principal at Hebron.

The new AD at HC inherited a lot of the ground work already laid by his predecessor. When asked what I thought about it in

the late fall...I did not think it appropriate for me to uninvite Wheeler...when I had not been the one to invite them in the first place.

We will definitely discuss the possibility of including BG and Hebron in the future to fill some of the holes in the bracket left by those Lake County schools choosing not to participate.

Everyone in Lake County has a standing invite...CP, MVL, LOW, MOR, and GLW chose not to compete for a variety of reasons.

To Julio Cisneros/Boone Grove,

I  believe the invite to Wheeler was made by Hanover Central's former AD, who is now an Ass't Principal at Hebron.

The new AD at HC inherited a lot of the ground work already laid by his predecessor. When asked what I thought about it in

the late fall...I did not think it appropriate for me to uninvite Wheeler...when I had not been the one to invite them in the first place.

We will definitely discuss the possibility of including BG and Hebron in the future to fill some of the holes in the bracket left by those Lake County schools choosing not to participate.

Everyone in Lake County has a standing invite...CP, MVL, LOW, MOR, and GLW chose not to compete for a variety of reasons.

With all due respect coach, the former AD left Hanover Central in a lot better shape than when he got it.  Your post seems to imply that he left things unfinished or not prepared, he's a personal friend of mine and I could tell you that your assertion couldn't be further from the truth. Also, he's the principal at Hebron, Mr. Jeff Brooks.

I do not believe Coach Wadkins was making a negative remark about Jeff. He only stated that Jeff invited Wheeler last year to help get there wrestling program off the ground. I was involved in this conversation and decision. Why wouldn't we help a new program get of the ground. Looking around and watching college programs drop like flys and many  high schools struggling with athletic programs in general helping a new program fill its schedule in its first varsity season sounds like a good idea to me.

Jeff Brooks was an outstanding AD for HC. He is a great guy and my friend. Our new AD did a great job and is very supportive of our program.

I am not sure if Wheeler will be invited back next year . I am sure that no additional Porter county schools will be invited in the future.

Nick Petrov

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.