School closed..again

AJ

Wednesday will be the third straight day our corporation has canceled school and closed all buildings. No practice again.... This is getting frustrating... Mother Nature continues her undefeated streak...

Wednesday will be the third straight day our corporation has canceled school and closed all buildings. No practice again.... This is getting frustrating... Mother Nature continues her undefeated streak...

So is IPS we, Tech is hosting a tourney Sat. I am thinking about adding and additional pound. We are your thoughts???

I believe the rule is that for every day prior to the meet you are unable to have access to your facility for practice, 1lb is given for each day.  Any participating team that is granted this means all teams participating are granted the weight allowance.  Example: School closed Friday, 1lb. School closed Thursday & Friday, 2lb, etc.  Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Per this from the great Tom Clark

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,27991.0.html

Please remember athletes are only granted a 1lb allownce for tomorrow if their team is unable to practice today. If your school is cancelled today and you still have practice, then no additional pound tomorrow.

So, if school A is participating in an event on Saturday and they are unable to practice on Friday, each school in that event would receive a 1lb allowance. School A's coach and AD should make every possible effort to contact the host school who in turn would contact the other participating schools to notify them of the additional pound.

Please see rule 4-5-5 on page 18 of the 2013-14 Wrestling Rules Book

Tom Clark

IHSAA Rules Interpreter

Also there is a maximum of 2lbs of allowance. So even if a team can't practice all week and wrestles Saturday they will only get the 2lbs additional(113=117lbs).

Is it a rule that teams can't practice if school is out...or is that determined by each school corporation?  I graduated in the 90s, but we always had a standing 10am practice time in case of snow days.  The bus fuel lines froze in 1994(?) because of -20 temps, but we still practiced every day.

What are the rules now?

Is it a rule that teams can't practice if school is out...or is that determined by each school corporation?  I graduated in the 90s, but we always had a standing 10am practice time in case of snow days.  The bus fuel lines froze in 1994(?) because of -20 temps, but we still practiced every day.

What are the rules now?

Each School Corporation has its own policy.

I was just asking people's thoughts or that matter. I know that I cannot "give" an additional pound for Sat. Unless schools are not in session on Friday. On another note, Matt brought up a good point with it being to up the school corporation. Our policy is that if school is not in session you cannot hold practice. Being cancelled that is due to inclement weather. 

Man, you guys under 9 layers of ice? Can't handle a little cold, what?

I thought you northerners were tough and didn't even wear coats or gloves......

such wusses these days. i walked in waist high snow, below freezing temps, for an hour, up hill, both ways, just to get to school lol

Each School Corporation has its own policy.

any one know which schools do allow practices when school is cancelled?

There are some big duals this weekend and if some prcticed and some did not

that is going to be a big factor.

According to my AD, practice can't be made mandatory....must be "optional".  Our first practice this week was yesterday.  Monday and Tuesday were pretty bad in the NE corner of the state so we did not practice at all

In order to qualify for the "inclimate weather" weight allowance "no practice" is the rule, mandatory or optional; one wrestler practicing is the same as all wrestlers practicing, practice is practice. However, if one school is granted the allowance, all schools get the allowance. Every attempt should be made to notify the host school if and for how many days you have not had any practices and, in turn, they should make every attempt to notify all other particpating schools of any allowances.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.