Best Match You Have EVER Seen

Y2CJ41

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am as ashamed of this error as I was when I was disqualified for puking at the Lakefest Watermelon eating contest.  I was reading one post and typing mine.  I am not proud of myself.  But it was a typo.  Wrestlemanias 3-6 are some of the most watched DVDs in my collection (my ENTIRE collection, not just my wrestling movies).  If you will excuse me, I need about 45 minutes alone for some quiet self-loathing.

heres the video...i edited out the puking part as it is not for the faint of heart.

1995 152lb. Final...James Leavell (DC) vs. Vernon Cannon (LC).  These guys met like 4 times that year.  The final went to OT and Leavell won.  Most exciting 1-1 regulation I have ever seen.  These two went different weights at senior nationals and both won if I am not mistaken.  This is back when senior nationals was "the" folkstyle championship.

Leavell was an absolute monster and Cannon really developed from his junior to senior year.  He was an extremely athletic guy that was a bit unrefined.  It all clicked his senior year and he became an untouchable beast (for everyone else) to match Leavell.  I don't know if I remember seeing two guys already with college strength and athleticism to these guys' level on the same mat in Indiana.

Adam Doherty from Jeff had a heck of a championship match in either 97 or 98. Hit two big head locks to come from behind and win 10-9 or something like that.

Doherty beat Lund of Delta in 98 to win a high scoring match.  I think that may have been the headlocks.  Repeated in 99 over Maddox of Taylor. 

Don't remember the year and don't remember how exciting the entire match was but Larimore Merrillville vs Kaston Winamac heavyweight state championship match. The ending was one of the most exciting moments I remember with Kaston getting an escape as time expired for the win.

Don't remember the year and don't remember how exciting the entire match was but Larimore Merrillville vs Kaston Winamac heavyweight state championship match. The ending was one of the most exciting moments I remember with Kaston getting an escape as time expired for the win.

I was going to post that one as well but I couldn't remember how to Spell Dexter's name :)

Another good one was Aaron Ramey (prairie heights) and DJ Radnovich (Gibson southern) in semifinals at 215 in '98 I believe.  Good match that kept everyone on their seats as both went to backs/roll throughs.  Radnovich went on to pin Ramey along with 40 some other kids that year. Ramey placed 3rd and won it all in '99

04 Olympic trials 55 kg Greco finals match number 3 for the ticket to Athens.

Dennis Hall over Brandon Paulson.4-3. 16 minute 54 sec. match. It had everything 3 point front head lock, escape, and the most exciting over time. It still gives me goose bumps watching it still today.

The Bradbury/Birge match was fun to watch and we knew it going into it.  They both scored a lot of points.  I think Bradbury scored escape to go up 14-13 with 20 sec. left to get taken down with 10 sec. left and then score reversal at the buzzer to win 16-15.

Bradbury lost to Ramos 13 times his junior and senior year, and I think he was winning in the third period 7 times.  Each of the 13 times we thought we could win, but Ramos would find a way to win. 

I saw Brands/Gilbert finals of Big 10s that was awesome if you were in the crowd.  Gilbert pushes Brands out of bounds right at the start and the Iowa faithful go nuts as you can see Brands swell and go into rage mode....then Gilbert leg throws Brands and has him on his back for a while until get gets out of bounds.  Brands breaks him and ends up teching him.  I've shown kids that one...it's on youtube somewhere.

Birge's state championship match was a high scoring doozy.

Adam Doherty from Jeff had a heck of a championship match in either 97 or 98. Hit two big head locks to come from behind and win 10-9 or something like that.

I was in ol' MSA for the Doherty-Lund match.  Doherty actually built a big lead with headlocks to the back to go up about 10 or so, then Lund mounted a furious comeback towards the end.  Final score was 16-11.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.