Let's make matches 5 minutes

IntegratedCarp

Let's make matches 5 minutes instead of 6 minutes.  Personally, I think the 1-2-2 format we use for wrestlebacks is fine for ALL matches.  Think about it.  Items to consider:

-There's a ton of stalling in a 6 minute match.  Going to 5 minutes would vastly reduce stalling imop.

-I don't believe it would make that much difference in the outcome of most matches.

-Wrestlers would push the pace more, which is exactly what we want and need more of.  Look when the most aggressive wrestling happens. It happens in the last 10 seconds of most periods because time is running out.  It has little to do with a match being 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 minutes long.

-It would value wrestling technique a little more over conditioning.  Conditioning would still be a factor even at 5 minutes.  However,  with a 5 minute matcah an average wrestler who wins the genetic lottery by being blessed with a marathon runner's lung compacity doesn't get so much of an advantage over the skillful wrestler who works hard but doesn't have that genetic oxygen compacity gift. {Some people will hate me for saying that, but it is true.}

-Tournaments would be done much more quickly.  That means family's would have much more time together and not be overwhelmed by sitting at a tourney from 7am-7pm.  1 minute of clock wrestling is actually 2 minutes of real-time when you factor in all the stoppages for going out of bounds, coaches questions, false starts, etc.  Think about some of these big tourneys and super duals where we have hundreds of matches, then reduce that time by 2 minutes of real-time per match.  We would be done so much earlier.

I'm not sure that reducing matches to five minutes would really reduce the stalling. I saw quite a bit of stalling during consolation matches over the weekend.

I also doubt we would really see a push in pace. Between evenly matched opponents, the first half of the first period helps them feel each other out. A lot of the real action seems to take place in the last 45 seconds of the first period. I think that if you cut it short, many wrestlers will just use the first period to feel each other out.

My biggest disagreement with this proposal is the second to last claim: it would value wrestling technique a little more over conditioning.

One of the things I've always liked about wrestling is that you can push your opponent to their breaking point. With a lot of kids, this happens late in the match when one wrestler has really pushed the pace in a match and gets his opponent so dog-tired he can't lift his head off the mat.

We shouldn't cut matches shorter just to make them more interesting just like we shouldn't turn football games into two-minute drills. There is so much that happens during that time period. I actually dislike that they make consolations 1-2-2. Six minute matches are not really that long.

Let's make matches 5 minutes instead of 6 minutes.  Personally, I think the 1-2-2 format we use for wrestlebacks is fine for ALL matches.  Think about it.  Items to consider:

-There's a ton of stalling in a 6 minute match.  Going to 5 minutes would vastly reduce stalling imop.

-I don't believe it would make that much difference in the outcome of most matches.

-Wrestlers would push the pace more, which is exactly what we want and need more of.  Look when the most aggressive wrestling happens. It happens in the last 10 seconds of most periods because time is running out.  It has little to do with a match being 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 minutes long.

-It would value wrestling technique a little more over conditioning.  Conditioning would still be a factor even at 5 minutes.  However,  with a 5 minute matcah an average wrestler who wins the genetic lottery by being blessed with a marathon runner's lung compacity doesn't get so much of an advantage over the skillful wrestler who works hard but doesn't have that genetic oxygen compacity gift. {Some people will hate me for saying that, but it is true.}

-Tournaments would be done much more quickly.  That means family's would have much more time together and not be overwhelmed by sitting at a tourney from 7am-7pm.  1 minute of clock wrestling is actually 2 minutes of real-time when you factor in all the stoppages for going out of bounds, coaches questions, false starts, etc.  Think about some of these big tourneys and super duals where we have hundreds of matches, then reduce that time by 2 minutes of real-time per match.  We would be done so much earlier.

A big fat No to this one.....JMO

We all want less stalling but we shouldn't shorten matches to get it.  Referees need to call stalling more early in matches to encourage wrestlers to be more active.  Personally I would like to see 7 minute matches to reward the kid works harder.  Also a longer match will make it harder for a kid to stall just to keep it close until the end and then make his move.  No way we should shorten matches.  I hate 1 minute periods.  It's way to easy for a kid to run for a minute if he's bad on his feet and go I to the second scoreless.  I hate the idea

We all want less stalling but we shouldn't shorten matches to get it.  Referees need to call stalling more early in matches to encourage wrestlers to be more active.  Personally I would like to see 7 minute matches to reward the kid works harder.  Also a longer match will make it harder for a kid to stall just to keep it close until the end and then make his move.  No way we should shorten matches.  I hate 1 minute periods.  It's way to easy for a kid to run for a minute if he's bad on his feet and go I to the second scoreless.  I hate the idea

I'm with ya on this one but better yet the match would go faster if we used college boundary  rules...

I'm with ya on this one but better yet the match would go faster if we used college boundary  rules...

College boundary rules would be awesome. Any chance of high school ever adopting riding time? That might encourage more kids to get up on bottom.

My 2 cents worth on this...

1) Five minute matches are not a good thing; I think far too often we see a wrestler hang on for a close loss or find a win that he would not earn in a 6 minute match.  A one minute first period throws off the pace of the match IMO.

2) As a college wrestler I can say that the college out of bounds rules are infinitely better than the high school out of bounds rules.  It encourages more action and it is much harder for someone to play the edge.  I also think that this would speed up the time to complete matches because there is less going out of bounds which requires a stoppage of the action.

Leave the times alone. No stalling for a guy on top. If you are on top you are doing your job keeping the opponent down. Bottom must take the action to get out....Isnt the sport and name of the game to be the dominate wrestler. Never knew why if you are up in points and on top you would get a warning for stalling. Hey I am ahead and you are on the bottom do something...BBAll doesnt get penilized when they are up 5 points and hold the ball. It is called strategy.....

If you want to improve Indiana wrestling overnight, have a pre-season referees meeting and have them get aggressive on stalling calls. 

Anyone who has wrestled at Disney will tell you this is what happens.  It immediately impacts matches.

Indiana will be much better as a result.

I disagree. If a wrestler is stalling, charge the wreslter accordingly. Each wrestler is REQUIRED to make an honest attempt to stay within the 10-foot circle and wrestle AGGRESSIVELY,requardless of position or the time or score of the match. rule 5-24. A stalling wrestler is a stalling wrestler.

Leave the times alone. No stalling for a guy on top. If you are on top you are doing your job keeping the opponent down. Bottom must take the action to get out....Isnt the sport and name of the game to be the dominate wrestler. Never knew why if you are up in points and on top you would get a warning for stalling. Hey I am ahead and you are on the bottom do something...BBAll doesnt get penilized when they are up 5 points and hold the ball. It is called strategy.....

It can be extremely easy to ride the hips/use a ball in chain/throw legs in and hold a guy for 2 minutes if you aren't going to get called for stalling. Also the bottom guy could be working to get away, but the top guy isn't doing anything.  If you got rid of stalling on top (which I don't see called enough) it would be a lot more boring. If you get the lead, you can smartly stall without getting called, but that atleast gives the bottom guy a chance. If your going to take away stalling on top, you might as well take it way from all positions.

1-2-2 would make the first period virtually meaningless and you'd see the first points scored in matches on the escape in the second. I think a case could easily be made that this format would lead to even more stalling/strategy and make it even easier for lesser opponents to keep it close. I'm one of those guys who think HS should use the same rules as the NCAA does 3-2-2, riding time, OOB, so take it for what it's worth.

1-2-2 would make the first period virtually meaningless and you'd see the first points scored in matches on the escape in the second. I think a case could easily be made that this format would lead to even more stalling/strategy and make it even easier for lesser opponents to keep it close. I'm one of those guys who think HS should use the same rules as the NCAA does 3-2-2, riding time, OOB, so take it for what it's worth.

Well said..

Two periods. A 3 min first and 2 min second.

I like this... First points scored in 1st period gets choice of position to start the 2nd period (no points score = flip the disk).  It could cause wrestlers to pick up the pace early in the match to secure choice in the 2nd or not want their fate decided by the flip of the disk.  It would also take away those 1-1 matches were each kid just gets an escape.

I like this... First points scored in 1st period gets choice of position to start the 2nd period (no points score = flip the disk).  It could cause wrestlers to pick up the pace early in the match to secure choice in the 2nd or not want their fate decided by the flip of the disk.  It would also take away those 1-1 matches were each kid just gets an escape.

This would basically cause very match to be won with one TD.

Takedown >>> Stall ride >>> choose down >>> stall on bottom for the win or get kicked loose and roller skate for the 3-0 win or stall then give up late TD for 3-2 win. Fans would hate this for at least one reason; refs would inevitably throw some otherwise whack stall calls in the second to give the guy trailing a chance to tie with a TD. This already happens with the current match format. If we changed to 3-2, you'd be manufacturing that situation in every tight match.

This would basically cause very match to be won with one TD.

Takedown >>> Stall ride >>> choose down >>> stall on bottom for the win or get kicked loose and roller skate for the 3-0 win or stall then give up late TD for 3-2 win. Fans would hate this for at least one reason; refs would inevitably throw some otherwise whack stall calls in the second to give the guy trailing a chance to tie with a TD. This already happens with the current match format. If we changed to 3-2, you'd be manufacturing that situation in every tight match.

Lets face it... it will never be changed to 3min/2min but what you described itsnt any different than how it is now if no stalling is called.  If a kid gets a takedown and rides a kid out in the first period then there is a really good chance that the final score will be 3-1 with the kid who is losing going hard for a takedown in the last 30-45 seconds. 

I think the 3min/2min is an intersting concept because it could really reward the wrestler who scores first.  Stalling is whole other issue.

College boundary rules would be awesome. Any chance of high school ever adopting riding time? That might encourage more kids to get up on bottom.

I think college boundaries would be good and would create more scoring which is good.  But riding time like  college would encourage more kids on top to just ride and hang on or (stall).  I think most kids on bottom are always trying to get out.  I think the stall from top position is most abused stall situation.  Im amazed what the refs let the kids get away with on top.  Also, if you have riding time you have the administrative task of manning a riding timekeeper for every high school match.  Its time hard enought to find two people at the score table.

If we change or enforce rules, we need to create more action and scoring.  IMO, nothing more boring than a kid putting in legs and riding the whole period.       

Also the problem with stailling is its so subjective, but it seems like so rarely called anymore.    Its just my perception, but do you agree that stalling is so rarely called?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.