Yearly Shaking Hands Issue

aoberlin

My first thought on this matter is "how many times do we really need to shake the opposing team's hands during a match?"  Wrestling is an emotional sport at times (i.e. - after a hard fought overtime loss by a wrestler), and kids will sometimes say, or do things, in the heat of the moment... because they are kids.  In my opinion, hand shakes should occur at the very end of the dual only (not during the dual in the heat of the moment).  That is simply one issue.

The other issue is the "gross factor".  I have had exhausted kids wipe sweaty burgers from their face in shear exhaustion at the end of the match and then extend their hand to me.  There is the frequent bloody hand shake after a young man has had a bloody nose all match and he has had to repeatedly shove several bloody nose plugs back up into his nose.  Just this past weekend, an opposing wrestler got inadvertently hit in the groin pretty hard at the very end of the match.  He held his crotch from the time the last whistle blew, clear until he got to me... and then let go of his crotch to extend his hand for a handshake!?!?  I am more of a fist bump guy for these types of scenarios and reasons, but I am now having opposing wrestlers who stand in front of me defiantly... and will not accept my outstretched fist... they are demanding that I shake their hand.

Do football players and basketball players shake the opposing coaches' hands after every down or series in their games?  Do baseball players shake the opposing coaches' hands after each inning (or just at the end of the game)?  Because of the emotional and "gross" factors involved in wrestling, my vote is to quit shaking hands multiple times during a dual.  An "end of dual" exchange of sporting handshakes is quite sufficient in honoring your opponent's efforts.

Coach McCormick

My first thought on this matter is "how many times do we really need to shake the opposing team's hands during a match?"  Wrestling is an emotional sport at times (i.e. - after a hard fought overtime loss by a wrestler), and kids will sometimes say, or do things, in the heat of the moment... because they are kids.  In my opinion, hand shakes should occur at the very end of the dual only (not during the dual in the heat of the moment).  That is simply one issue.

The other issue is the "gross factor".  I have had exhausted kids wipe sweaty burgers from their face in shear exhaustion at the end of the match and then extend their hand to me.  There is the frequent bloody hand shake after a young man has had a bloody nose all match and he has had to repeatedly shove several bloody nose plugs back up into his nose.  Just this past weekend, an opposing wrestler got inadvertently hit in the groin pretty hard at the very end of the match.  He held his crotch from the time the last whistle blew, clear until he got to me... and then let go of his crotch to extend his hand for a handshake!?!?   I am more of a fist bump guy for these types of scenarios and reasons, but I am now having opposing wrestlers who stand in front of me defiantly... and will not accept my outstretched fist... they are demanding that I shake their hand.

Do football players and basketball players shake the opposing coaches' hands after every down or series in their games?  Do baseball players shake the opposing coaches' hands after each inning (or just at the end of the game)?  Because of the emotional and "gross" factors involved in wrestling, my vote is to quit shaking hands multiple times during a dual.  An "end of dual" exchange of sporting handshakes is quite sufficient in honoring your opponent's efforts.

Coach McCormick

lol......now that is funny......so did you shake his hand?

The other issue is the "gross factor".  I have had exhausted kids wipe sweaty burgers from their face in shear exhaustion at the end of the match and then extend their hand to me.  There is the frequent bloody hand shake after a young man has had a bloody nose all match and he has had to repeatedly shove several bloody nose plugs back up into his nose.  Just this past weekend, an opposing wrestler got inadvertently hit in the groin pretty hard at the very end of the match.  He held his crotch from the time the last whistle blew, clear until he got to me... and then let go of his crotch to extend his hand for a handshake!?!?  I am more of a fist bump guy for these types of scenarios and reasons, but I am now having opposing wrestlers who stand in front of me defiantly... and will not accept my outstretched fist... they are demanding that I shake their hand.

Coach McCormick

Thank you.  Now can we please not bring this topic up again ever?

Either you want to do it or you don't.  Nobody needs to get on here and justify why they do or don't because both can be picked a part. 

I do believe it is a unsportsmanlike against a wrestler this year if they just slap the hand at the end of the match and run off. Maybe one of the Zebras can help me out with that rule.

I have coached wrestling for the last 20 years. Back in the 80's we never went over after our individual match in a dual meet to shake the other coaches hand. Some time in the mid 90's they started to do that. As a coach it is a real pain in the rear. The kids shake hands more than enough as it is:

1. Prematch faceoff.

2. Before their individual match.

3. After their individual match.

4. In the lineup after the meet is over.

No other sport has the kids shake hands this much. Now some people git concerned if the kid does not come over and shake the other coaches hand after their individual match for a 5th handshake for the night.

As a coach I would like to, well you know, actually coach my team during the dual meet. Instead of being able to talk to my wrestlers between matches I have to stand there and wait for the kid from the other team to come over and shake my hand. Many times I can see trends develop during the meet and I want to tell my team to watch out for something or try to take advantage of something. Would it not be great sportsmanship at a football game for the head coach to shake hands with the defense between plays instead of having a few seconds to send in a play or talk to his quarterback?

At least one time per dual meet there will be a kid who will do one of three things that make me not want to shake his hand but I look like a jerk if I don't.

1. Removes his mouth guard with his right hand. I get to shake his slobber covered hand now. Fun.

2. Kid has a runny nose. Uses his right hand to clean the snot off his face. Evan more fun.

3. Kid just lose and is upset. He comes running over because his coach makes him do it. He slaps my hand instead of shaking it.

I agree with you on that i have seen a few coaches have a jv set at corner with him just to be the hand shaker. No need in this after match coach handshake. But areal hand shak with your opp before & after the match does not hurt anything. The ref has to raise the winners hand. If I was a ref I would demand  a real hand shake after the match sry ole and respectful like that.

Either you want to do it or you don't.  Nobody needs to get on here and justify why they do or don't because both can be picked a part. 

I do believe it is a unsportsmanlike against a wrestler this year if they just slap the hand at the end of the match and run off. Maybe one of the Zebras can help me out with that rule.

2013-14 NFHS Rules Book

2013-14 Points of Emphasis

Page 60

End-of-Match Procedure

The end-of-match procedure is a sportsmanship act and also a means of recognizing the winner of the contest…

...It is imperative that coaches instruct their wrestlers to offer a firm handshake and to provide a respectful acknowledgement of their opponents. Fist bumps, high fives, hand slaps, etc., are not acceptable. Referees need to be aware that unsportsmanlike conduct is to be penalized whenever it occurs regardless of the circumstances.

These are the only required instances for handshakes, all others are traditional and voluntary...

Rule 6-2-3

The first period shall start with the wrestlers in the neutral position. The wrestlers will shake hands and when the referee sounds the whistle, they shall begin wrestling…

Rule 6-5-2

The wrestlers shall shake hands and the referee shall declare the winner by raising the winning wrestler’s hand.

Coach McCormick

I disagree with your reasonings for the soul reasons of you are undermining what this sport has taught us all. It has taught us to be a man or woman (its 2013 almost 2014 girls wrestle now) of honor and dignity. You lose a close match? Get up compose yourself and shake the kids hand that beat you, you may not agree with the loss but the fact of the matter is that you did lose. The kids will be kids argument shouldn't even be an argument if the kid was coached right even state champions know how to lose, heck even the all mighty Dan Gable knows what a defeat is. And if you think it is gross to shake a sweaty,bloody, and or crotchy hand, how do you coach? this is a sport of all of those things, we all have gotten dirty from time to time and know what it is like to be those things, it comes with the territory. And as for the different sports reason, come on now. Every play in football is not at all comparable too a match in wrestling, it's a single persons match that's their "game". They are going to face another person who it's their "game". Wrestling is a team sport as individual and should be treated as such. Shaking hands is the least you can do to a person who has bested you and shaking his teachers hand is a sign of respect in my book, even should you best someone shake his hand for his handwork he has put forth and his teachers hand for teaching the kid about hard work

If you don't want your kids shaking the other coaches hands thats fine they shouldn't have to. I believe they should but we are all entitled to our own opinion.

"It has taught us to be a man or woman (its 2013 almost 2014 girls wrestle now) of honor and dignity."  -- from Wildcatpatriot

Only those with "honor and dignity" sign their true name to their opinions (whatever they may be); otherwise, they are meaningless words from a coward behind a computer screen who is afraid to have others critique and evaluate their comments' value and worth.  Unclaimed words are merely that... "words" on a paper or screen with no perspective or meaning.  If you feel strongly enough to write it, then sign your name to it; otherwise, sit back down in the shadows with those other poor souls who are afraid and embarrassed to claim their very own words.

Coach McCormick

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. ---  Theodore Roosevelt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.