2013 City Wrestling Championships

Coach Brown

Wrestling Fans: The 2013 City Wrestling Championships will be held next Saturday, December 21 at Shortridge High School located at 3401 N Meridian St. Teams includes: Arsenal Tech, Bishop Chatard, Crispus Attucks, Broad Ripple, Cardinal Ritter, Cathedral, Emmerich Manual, George Washington, Indiana School for the Blind , Indiana School for the Deaf, John Marshall, Northwest, Scecina, Shortridge Magnet High School,T.C. Howe Community High School. This will be a very exciting day of wrestling. Wrestling starts at 9:00am.

Officials: Frankie Medvescek, Jimmy Russell, Pete Schroeder, and Kevin Troy

Tournament Manager: Mark Durham

The seeding meeting will be on Wed, December 18 @ 6:30.

Don't count Corsaro out of the running for most outstanding wrestler, especially if every match is a tech or pin.

are you saying you think the number 1 ranked wrestler in the state has a shot at being the most outstanding wrestler?  Nope, I'm counting him out.

For those of you that have never been, the MOW is never a Cathedral kid. Since the Rhodes era, all the city coaches pretty much conspire to not appoint a CHS wrestler most outstanding. I am pretty sure even during Lance Ellis' run, he never won the award despite being undefeated and tossing IPS kids around the gym like rag dolls. It is kind of a tongue-in-cheek legacy these days.

I wouldn't think a two-time Runner Up and IHSAA favorite like Vinnie Corsaro would have a shot at such a prestigious award. At this point, I think a bad ass like Broad Ripple's heavyweight would be one of the better choices. Vinnie would really have to set some Mat Burns fall records to be in the conversation.

Good luck to the City coaches as they think through this. Have fun tomorrow, boys.

Funny how the only four time city champion there who literally pinned or tech'ed every single person he wrestled in four years at the city tournament somehow didn't win most outstanding wrestler. I know that it's never a Cathedral kid, but this one is a little laughable.

Funny how the only four time city champion there who literally pinned or tech'ed every single person he wrestled in four years at the city tournament somehow didn't win most outstanding wrestler. I know that it's never a Cathedral kid, but this one is a little laughable.

Agreed

Vinny is a great wrestler and has a VERY good chance of winning a state title this year. The coaches voted on the John Hurrle Outstanding Wrestler Award, and it was a close vote 5-4. Not to mention that Hendon had all pins on the day and is a former two City Runner up. The last time the a Cathedral wrestler had won the OW was Tyler Willis. I believe that was three years ago.

Vinny is a great wrestler and has a VERY good chance of winning a state title this year. The coaches voted on the John Hurrle Outstanding Wrestler Award, and it was a close vote 5-4. Not to mention that Hendon had all pins on the day and is a former two City Runner up. The last time the a Cathedral wrestler had won the OW was Tyler Willis. I believe that was three years ago.

All pins that day and two time runner up>four time champion, all pins and techs for four years.....inequality doesn't really work out...hmm.

All pins that day and two time runner up>four time champion, all pins and techs for four years.....inequality doesn't really work out...hmm.

Vinnie is a GREAT wrestler and seems like a great kid too (volunteering at cyo wrestling events, etc.) but I don't think he needs/wants anybody crying about him not getting OW at City even if he is deserving. He already has Tons of serious hardware, a great attitude, and a nice offer next year to boot...just enjoy watching the young man while you can. Wrestlers like him don't come around too often.

Congrats on 4th City Title Vinnie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.