Homestead Wrestler Nik Gogos Injured

MFS

Yes, the move was an illegal move. Rule 7, Article 2 of the NFHS wrestling rules "A full, straight back suplay and the straight back salto to the head are illegal." And it was called this way by the ref.

Nik underwent surgery last night and was being brought out of sedation this morning. He did sustain some serious injuries to the neck and back and we are waiting to see if the surgery solved the problems he was having with numbness and lack of motor function.

Nik is a freshman and a great wrestler and person. His family has been very strong through this process. Please continue to pray for Nik's recovery and strength for his family at this time.

Mr. Shipley

My son got to see him in the hospital today and said he was able to wave at the guys when they came in the room, he will be in a neck brace for a while and starts physical therapy on Wednesday.  He is a very strong young man and has been an inspiration to all of us here he is doing better than some on the team and much better than some of us who were there to see it, it was a devastating move and  I still get sick to my stomach when I think about it.  Thanks to the Huntington North family for their support and the quick response mat side, Jake worked with Kyle, Tanner and some of the other boys at Indian tech this summer so I knew you were good folks...thanks.

I'm sure coach will have more info later, I was just relieved that he was able to move his arms and wanted to share it with the group.

This is the update i heard from our head coach. He advised homesteads AD called our AD and said that Nik had 4 broken vertabry in his neck and they replaced them all. Its sounds like he is getting feeling back in arms and lower half. Every one keep this young man in your prayers because he has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

This is the update i heard from our head coach. He advised homesteads AD called our AD and said that Nik had 4 broken vertabry in his neck and they replaced them all. Its sounds like he is getting feeling back in arms and lower half. Every one keep this young man in your prayers because he has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

Do you mean that they replaced a disc? Or multiple discs?  Does anyone exact information?  Just a concerned coach.  Praying for the athlete and his family.

This subject gives me a knot in my stomach when I think about it and my own boys wrestling. First off, thank God that this young man appears to be on the road to recovery. We wish him well as the process takes place. But as to this happening in the first place, how do we help to prevent it? I think the first step is to use this incident for all coaches to discuss this with their wrestlers. I'm sure at some point during most kids wrestling careers that it might have been mentioned but not really ingrained into their heads of the danger of this move. I've seen it happen more than once on the mat. It amazes me that this move is legal in freestyle. I have many times as my boys came up through the ranks, said to them or their opponents as someone was about to be returned to the mat, "easy, easy, coming down". I know that doesn't prevent it from happening but at least it makes them think for a second. And I've heard refs do the same thing but still we see some pretty hard slams. My youngest son has a tendancy to return hard and I always talk to him about it from the standpoint of hurting someone or getting DQ'ed. I'm all for wrestling hard and tough and taking some lumps but this incident could have been tragic. I hope all coaches will use this as an opportunity to talk with their kids and maybe prevent another serious injury.

Good afternoon.  This is Jim and Jodi Gogos, we are Nik's parents.  We thought some of you would like to know the facts about our son.  First, let us begin by saying how humbled and grateful we are with the unbelievable support we have had from people all over our community, as well as outside the community.  At this time, we are aware of prayers for him all over the world. 

Nik is an amazing young man.  He is strong; spiritually, emotionally, and physically. 

Nik suffered a c4 fracture of his vertebrae and a ruptured disc at the time of impact.  At the time of the incident, he was immediately paralyzed, could not feel from his shoulders down. 

He had a cadaver c4 and disc replacement Saturday around 8 pm.  We were in ICU the first two nights, a regular room the third night, and then transferred to rehabilitation on Tuesday. 

His left side is beginning to move more, but his right side remains difficult.  His speech and swallowing are great.

We are expecting a long road ahead; however, we are strong in our faith and have an INCREDIBLE support system. 

Thank you to each and every one of you for your prayers. 

Nik is an excellent guitar player, and with the inability to move his fingers, this has been difficult.  BUT, we are hopeful it will come.

The Homestead team will be running a fundraiser to sell bracelets that read "GOGOS STRONG" with a cross and guitar.

Then the funds will be used to purchase Nik his "dream" guitar through Sweetwater Sound Guitar store in Fort Wayne.... his favorite store.

Our goal is for our son to be home on Christmas morning with his family to celebrate Christ's birth.  With continued prayers, we are VERY hopeful this will happen. 

God's blessings to you all.

The Gogos family

Good afternoon.  This is Jim and Jodi Gogos, we are Nik's parents.  We thought some of you would like to know the facts about our son.  First, let us begin by saying how humbled and grateful we are with the unbelievable support we have had from people all over our community, as well as outside the community.  At this time, we are aware of prayers for him all over the world. 

Nik is an amazing young man.  He is strong; spiritually, emotionally, and physically. 

Nik suffered a c4 fracture of his vertebrae and a ruptured disc at the time of impact.  At the time of the incident, he was immediately paralyzed, could not feel from his shoulders down. 

He had a cadaver c4 and disc replacement Saturday around 8 pm.  We were in ICU the first two nights, a regular room the third night, and then transferred to rehabilitation on Tuesday. 

His left side is beginning to move more, but his right side remains difficult.  His speech and swallowing are great.

We are expecting a long road ahead; however, we are strong in our faith and have an INCREDIBLE support system. 

Thank you to each and every one of you for your prayers. 

Nik is an excellent guitar player, and with the inability to move his fingers, this has been difficult.  BUT, we are hopeful it will come.

The Homestead team will be running a fundraiser to sell bracelets that read "GOGOS STRONG" with a cross and guitar.

Then the funds will be used to purchase Nik his "dream" guitar through Sweetwater Sound Guitar store in Fort Wayne.... his favorite store.

Our goal is for our son to be home on Christmas morning with his family to celebrate Christ's birth.  With continued prayers, we are VERY hopeful this will happen. 

God's blessings to you all.

The Gogos family

Prayers and thoughts for your son and family

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.