FINAL New Castle SS Rankings updated 2-8-14

zachpierson

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the weight loss regulations have anything to do with offseason weights? I didn't think there is any rules that tie into offseason weights. It's all on your certifying weigh in. Unless that has changed.

I believe the intent of the rule is to keep guys wrestling closer to their natural weight. 

I know they don't look at summer weights.  But I would say that is much closer to

the weight they should wrestle.  Look at many of the better guys who are moving up in weight.

They are going to wrestle close to the weight they wrestled this summer.

I believe the intent of the rule is to keep guys wrestling closer to their natural weight. 

I know they don't look at summer weights.  But I would say that is much closer to

the weight they should wrestle.  Look at many of the better guys who are moving up in weight.

They are going to wrestle close to the weight they wrestled this summer.

I can only go by what I'm told. So you can say what u want but some kids have to cut to make the line up. And do so by the rules then they are all good.

I would agree if with you when they have to make the lineup.  But we are talking about some of the best kids

around.  I don't think very many should have to cut to much to make the lineup.

That situation should not happen all that often.

I would bet that if you took the 2 top guys from each Semi-State last year.

Not very many of them were cutting anywhere near 20lbs.  I am not sure what that

number is but I would guess they were making weight a lot easier than one would think.

I would love to get some real numbers so that we as a sport could better understand the

impact of the total lbs cut compared to overall success in the State Tournament.

There is a point of diminishing return if you know what I mean.

By the way I appreciate all the hard work you guys put into the rankings.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at but I only do rankings. I have no control over weights

My point is...  In my opinion,  if you are good enough to  finish well in the state tournament.  You are good enough not to be

cutting a ton on weight. 

I am not saying guys are doing anything wrong or unethical by cutting  large amounts of weight.  I just don't thank very many

of those guys have real success in the tournament.  It is one thing to cut for one day. But it is something very different to

do it for several weeks in a row.

My point is...  In my opinion,  if you are good enough to  finish well in the state tournament.  You are good enough not to be

cutting a ton on weight. 

I am not saying guys are doing anything wrong or unethical by cutting  large amounts of weight.  I just don't thank very many

of those guys have real success in the tournament.  It is one thing to cut for one day. But it is something very different to

do it for several weeks in a row.

Although some of the extreme weight cutting from the past has reduced considerably, there is still a significant cross-section of kids--including the best of the best--that cut a considerable amount of weight (by reaching a low certification weight and cutting from there). 

It's not a question of whether they can be good at a higher weight or not; it's a question of whether they will have the best shot to place higher or win a title or wrestle at a good school in college that convinces them to make significant cuts.  And, with tournaments all through the year, even if a kid is doing a horrible, horrible job of managing his weight, he will still never get bigger than 12 to 15 pounds over his wrestling weight over a weekend once he's been down once.

(I'm not an advocate of any of this, by the way...I think bad weight management and extreme cutting is damaging to high school wrestling...I'm just telling you what I know to be the case.)

That is what I see as well.  The reason I commented on this in the ranking section is that.

Kids see other guys ,that they know are cutting a lot of weight being ranked above them.

And that makes more guys think they have to cut a lot of weight to compete.

I am trying to make the case that guys who are cutting a lot will not have the success

and therefore should not be ranked as high.

I would bet there are only a handful of guys that made it to State last year who were cutting

anywhere close to 20lbs.  Especially in the weights below 145.

We had 5 State qualifiers last year.  None of them were cutting more than 10 pounds.

4 of them were cutting less than 5.

In my opinion Health, Happy, Strong wrestlers have success through the grind at the end of the season.

That is what I see as well.  The reason I commented on this in the ranking section is that.

Kids see other guys ,that they know are cutting a lot of weight being ranked above them.

And that makes more guys think they have to cut a lot of weight to compete.

I am trying to make the case that guys who are cutting a lot will not have the success

and therefore should not be ranked as high.

I would bet there are only a handful of guys that made it to State last year who were cutting

anywhere close to 20lbs.  Especially in the weights below 145.

We had 5 State qualifiers last year.  None of them were cutting more than 10 pounds.

4 of them were cutting less than 5.

In my opinion Health, Happy, Strong wrestlers have success through the grind at the end of the season.

I would bet most of the placers last year cut more than 10lbs. Especially the state champions.

LeCount at 145? A match with Forte would be awesome.

Little Brett Johnson has packed on 30lbs of solid muscle and was able to throw Lecount around like a rag doll ultimately pinning him in wrestle offs. So Lecount will be forced to go 145. He was overheard saying he would rather wrestle Forte than take another beating like that from Johnson.

Little Brett Johnson has packed on 30lbs of solid muscle and was able to throw Lecount around like a rag doll ultimately pinning him in wrestle offs. So Lecount will be forced to go 145. He was overheard saying he would rather wrestle Forte than take another beating like that from Johnson.

You have a full, rich fantasy life.

HSE Ryan Artz will be a player at 152 this year.  He has had some injuries in the last couple of season and has been

behind.  Tatom, Irick, and Niebarbarger the last couple of years.  He is health this year and has looked very good both in the offseason and the

start of the year.  He had a couple of big wins at the Grandriver rumble this summer.  The Main one against Tomas Garty.

155 - Thomas Garty (Michigan Chub Chub Pink) over Derek Noon (Indiana Zeal) Fall 1:25

155 - Ryan Artz (HSE WC) over Thomas Garty (Michigan Chub Chub Pink) Dec 10-5

I would bet most of the placers last year cut more than 10lbs. Especially the state champions.

I can't speak for all 14 of last year's IHSAA State Champions, but I can speak for the 2013 IHSAA 160 lbs State Champion.  He weighed out of every practice during the season at 160 or below.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.