New College Rules?

Riv0376

I'm not sure if this discussion has been had yet but now that the college season is starting in the next couple weeks, what are everyone's thoughts on the new rules. Will they lead to more scoring, have any unintended consequences, and will these rules eventually trickle down to high school?

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2013-06-24/mat-side-video-option-approval-among-wrestling-rules-changes-2013-

Replays

Made the mat-side video review rule an option for use beginning in the 2013-14 season

Edge of Mat

In a progression of the rule that allows wrestlers to score takedowns on the edge of the wrestling area, it was approved that near-falls and pins can occur as long as any part of either wrestler remains inbounds.

Reaction time on Takedowns

If the defensive wrestler’s hand comes in contact with the mat, it is considered control and a takedown should be awarded.

I would love to see high school allow more edge of the mat wrestling.  It seems to me in high school as soon as you get near the edge its time to reset.  Some of the most intense scrambles and best takedowns occur on the edge of the mat in college.

I would like it as well but the problem is the lack of out of bounds space on high school mats. 

I would like it as well but the problem is the lack of out of bounds space on high school mats.

this is one rule that is far to objective based on the official.....it needs to be made more definite......college says if any part of either wrestler is in bounds then it continues......that's pretty easy to determine and there shouldn't be much controversy in that case......in high school every official can see it/call it differently and you see it happening all the time......one guy might say in, the other out......not that the refs are doing anything wrong per say, it's just not very set in stone and can lead to some issues, especially as the big matches are happening......i agree though that the room past the line is limited on many mats which has to come into play......so what happens when the offensive wrestler has an obvious takedown and his feet are in bounds but his opponent lands half on the mat half on the gym floor?........or damn near all on the gym floor?....... 

you get a takedown

*disregard thought you meant with those rules in place, in college that is easily 2*

i guess my question was more aimed at because of the inconsistent rule in high school and the lack of additional mat space, does the official blow the whistle on what would be a takedown because of a kid falling on the hard gym floor?......where as some other official might not......it's just an grey area that should be more set in my opinion.......that would solve a lot of controversy i would think.....

The new college rules this year also addressed lack of mat area by making it mandatory a change that the matted apron around the wrestling area must extend at least 5 feet between out-of-bounds lines when two mats are side-by-side. Additionally, the apron must extend at least 5 feet from the out-of-bounds line and any obstruction such as a table, bleachers or wall.

I don't think it would take to much of a commitment from schools to get the extra few feet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.