2014 I.U. recruiting class

"State runner-up Fletcher Miller (Kokomo, Ind.) verbals to Indiana University" per Intermat's Josh Lowe

Miller was also 3rd at Junior Nationals.

Intermat is also reporting Dakota Thacker of Bloomington South who placed 5th at 182 & I believe is projected at or near the top of the 195 rankings also gave his verbal commitment to the Hoosiers. http://www.intermatwrestle.com/recruiting/commitments

Throw in the previously committed Austin Reece, 3x Ohio placer, projected as a 165 and this class looks Strong before the season has even begun.

Yep, nice to see the program on the front page of intermat.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/10419

Pair of Junior National freestyle All-Americans among trio to commit to Hoosiers

September 9, 2013: Three wrestlers verbally committed to join the Indiana University program's recruiting haul for the Class of 2014. Logan Marcicki (Detroit Catholic Central, Mich.) is a two-time state finalist, winning state in 2011 at 130 and taking second this past year at 160; he also finished fourth in Junior freestyle this summer at 160 pounds, and projects as a 165/174 in college. Dakota Thacker (Bloomington South, Ind.) placed fifth in this past season's state tournament at 182 pounds, and projects to be a 184/197 in college. Fletcher Miller (Kokomo, Ind.) was a state runner-up at 220 pounds this past season, placed second in Junior folkstyle at 220 this spring, and was third in Fargo at 220 pounds in the Junior freestyle event; he projects to the 285 weight class.

All three wrestlers join two already committed to the Hoosiers in the Class of 2014 -- No. 22 Jacob Danishek (Dayton Christian, Ohio) and three-time state placer Austin Reese (Mechanicsburg, Ohio).

It sure is great to see the positive news.  IU looks to be improving and going after some good recruits and trying to build a solid program.  Any news on who else they are looking at.

Anyone have any news from the room to see how Raley, Caton, Malloy, Blanton, Schaefer are doing.

Ok, board seems dead on this topic. 

Here is what i am hearing from inside the room

125. Duca, with Shepard backing up

133. Caton/Moody if he makes weight. Walk on Brown is opening eyes

141 / 149. Gregory, Malloy,Riley, Schafer.  Many battle at these weights the call will be who is best to redshirt

157 Walsh

165 LeBlanc

174 Cheney

184 Sheridan

197 Goldman

HWy Chalfent

Why do we have such a log jam at the lower weights and no one competing for spots at upper weights

Ok, board seems dead on this topic. 

Here is what i am hearing from inside the room

125. Duca, with Shepard backing up

133. Caton/Moody if he makes weight. Walk on Brown is opening eyes

141 / 149. Gregory, Malloy,Riley, Schafer.  Many battle at these weights the call will be who is best to redshirt

157 Walsh

165 LeBlanc

174 Cheney

184 Sheridan

197 Goldman

HWy Chalfent

Why do we have such a log jam at the lower weights and no one competing for spots at upper weights

What you are hearing is not 100% accurate.

For example Moody won't be at 133.

Trevor Moody (@trevmo125) tweeted at 11:22pm - 17 Sep 13:

"Certified to wrestle at 141 today.  Can't wait to step on the mat in a month and a half for the first tournament. #iuwrestling" https://twitter.com/trevmo125/status/380169971545821184

My understanding is some of the other things you are hearing may or may not turn out to be true also(I'm hearing several kids with weight struggles), but I don't have a team members tweet to prove it, so we'll wait and see.

As for the upper weight depth, all I can tell you is that there were discussions/visits by a HWY & 195 state champ and a 160 placer for this years class (all of whom I know and told me they had), but the kids made other choices.

Thanks for the info.  Heard Moody was trying to get to 133,  wish he would of I would of loved to see him and Caton battle.  So it looks like 125, 133 are set.    Do you have anymore information from room on What is going on at 141, 149.

Any uppers stepping up, I heard French is looking strong

Caton = 133

Murphy = missed weight at 133 something like 5 times last season.

Murphy simply won't be at 133 this season. Look for him at 141 or maybe even 149.

I.U.  just announced that they are attending the Clarion Open, so perhaps we'll see Murphy vs a Hoosier.

What Hoosier did Murphy help recruit?

• 2 weeks later...

Bronxbomer, did you forget that Simmons and Duca are in there for him to bang and practice with.  Then you have Raley, Malloy so he will be fine

Didn't IU also bring in a 133 from Iowa ?

QA shame to have Murphy leave the program yet nothing new there . Kids are just cutting too much weight at IU.

Didn't IU also bring in a 133 from Iowa ?

QA shame to have Murphy leave the program yet nothing new there . Kids are just cutting too much weight at IU.

From what I've been told Murphy leaving involved some other factors aside from just a weight cutting issue.  Hopefully he is able to get off to a fresh start with the Clarion program.